We present a numerical analysis of the interaction between novel scanning near field optical microscopy probes based on an asymmetric structure and a single fluorescent molecule. Our finite element analysis shows how such near field probes can be effectively used for high resolution detection of single molecules, in particular those with a longitudinal dipole moment. At the same time, fluorescent molecules can be exploited as point-like probes of the single vectorial components of the near field distribution at the probe apex, providing a powerful tool for near field probe characterization.
2. Van Zanten, T. S., A. Cambi, and M. F. Garcia-Parajo, "A nanometer scale optical view on the compartmentalization of cell membranes," Biochimica and Biophysica Acta, Vol. 1798, 777-787, 2010.
3. Hsu, J. W. P., "Near-field scanning optical microscopy studies of electronic and photonic materials and devices," Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 33, 1-50, 2001.
4. Novotny, L. and B. Hecht, Principles of Nano-optics, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
5. Antosiewicz, T. J., M. Marciniak, and T. Szoplik, "On SNOM resolution improvement," Photonic Crystals: Physics and Technology, 217-238, Springer, Milan, 2008.
6. Mononobe, S., "Near-field optical fiber probes and the imaging applications,", M. Ohtsu, (Ed.), Springer Series in Optical Science, Vol. 95, Progress in Nano-electro-optics: Industrial Applications and Dynamics of the Nano-optical Systems, 1-53, Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2005.
7. Drezet, A., M. J. Nasse, S. Huant, and J. C. Woehl, "The optical near-field of an aperture tip," Europhys. Lett., Vol. 66, No. 1, 41-47, 2004.
8. Liu, L. and S. He, "Design of metal-cladded near-field fiber probes with a dispersive body-of-revolution finite-difference time-domain method," Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, No. 17, 3429-3437, 2005.
9. Michalski, K. A., "Complex image method analysis of a plane wave-excited subwavelength circular aperture in a planar screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 253-272, 2011.
10. Hartschuh, A., "Tip-enhanced near-field optical microscopy," Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 47, 8187-8191, 2008.
11. Inouye, Y., "Apertureless metallic probes for near-field microscopy,", S. Kawata (Ed.), Springer Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 81, Near-field Optics and Surface Plasmon Polaritons, 29-48, Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2001.
12. Chuang, C.-H. and Y.-L. Lo, "Signal analysis of apertureless scanning near-field optical microscopy with superlens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 83-106, 2010.
13. Amin, A. S. N., M. Mirhosseini, and M. Shahabadi, "Modal analysis of multilayer conical dielectric waveguides for azimuthal invariant modes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 213-229, 2010.
14. Ding, W., S. R. Andrews, and S. A. Maier, "Internal excitation and superfocusing of surface plasmon polaritons on a silver-coated optical fiber tip," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 75, 063822-1-10, 2007.
15. Vaccaro, L., L. Aeschimann, U. Staufer, H. P. Herzig, and R. Dändliker, "Propagation of the electromagnetic field in fully coated near-field optical probes ," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, No. 3, 584-586, 2003.
16. Bouhelier, A., J. Renger, M. R. Beversluis, and L. Novotny, "Plasmon-coupled tip-enhanced near-field optical microscopy," J. of Microsc., Vol. 210, No. 3, 220-224, 2003.
17. Tortora, P., E. Descrovi, L. Aeschimann, L. Vaccaro, H. P. Herzig, and R. Dändliker, "Selective coupling of HE11 and TM01 modes into microfabricated fully metal-coated quartz probes," Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 107, 158-165, 2007.
18. Chen, W. and Q. Zhan, "Numerical study of an apertureless near field scanning optical microscope probe under radial polarization illumination," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, No. 7, 4106-4111, 2007.
19. Nakagawa, W., L. Vaccaro, H. P. Herzig, and C. Hafner, "Polarization mode coupling due to metal-layer modifications in apertureless near-field scanning optical microscopy probes," J. of Comput. and Theor. Nanosci., Vol. 4, No. 3, 1-12, 2007.
20. Lotito, V., U. Sennhauser, and C. Hafner, "Effects of asymmetric surface corrugations on fully metal-coated scanning near field optical microscopy tips," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 8, 8722-8734, 2010.
21. Lotito, V., U. Sennhauser, and C. Hafner, "Finite element analysis of asymmetric scanning near field optical microscopy probes," J. of Comput. and Theor. Nanosci., Vol. 7, No. 8, 1596-1609, 2010.
22. Yatsui, T., K. Itsumi, M. Kourogi, and M. Ohtsu, "Metallized pyramidal silicon probe with extremely high throughput and resolution capability for optical near-field technology," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, No. 13, 2257-2259, 2002.
23. Betzig, E. and R. J. Chichester, "Single molecules observed by near-field scanning optical microscopy," Science, Vol. 262, No. 5138, 1422-1425, 1993.
24. Hollars, W. and R. C. Dunn, "Probing single molecule orientations in model lipid membranes with near-field scanning optical microscopy," J. of Chem. Phys., Vol. 112, No. 18, 7822-7830, 2000.
25. Veerman, J. A., M. F. Garcia-Parajo, L. Kuipers, and N. F. van Hulst, "Single molecule mapping of the optical field distribution of probes for near-field microscopy," J. of Microsc., Vol. 194, No. 2-3, 447-482, 1999.
26. Moerland, R. J., N. F. van Hulst, H. Gersen, and L. Kuipers, "Probing the negative permittivity perfect lens using near-field optics and single molecule detection," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 5, 1604-1614, 2005.
27. Kulzer, F. and M. Orrit, "Single-molecule optics," Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem., Vol. 55, 585-611, 2004.
28. García-Parajó, M. F., J.-A. Veerman, R. Bouwhuis, R. Vallée, and N. F. van Hulst, "Optical probing of single fluorescent molecules and proteins ," Chemphyschem, Vol. 2, 347-360, 2001.
29. Van Hulst, N. F., J.-A. Veerman, M. Garcia-Parajo, and L. K. Kuipers, "Analysis of individual (macro) molecules and proteins using near-field optics," J. of Chem. Phys., Vol. 112, No. 18, 7799-7810, 2000.
30. Van Hulst, N. F., M. F. Garcia-Parajo, M. H. P. Moers, J.-A. Veerman, and A. G. T. Ruiter, "Near-field fluorescence imaging of genetic material: Toward the molecular limit," J. of Structural Biology, Vol. 119, 222-231, 1997.
31. Ruiter, A. G. T., J. A. Veerman, M. F. Garcia-Parajo, and N. F. van Hulst, "Single molecule rotational and translational diffusion observed by near-field scanning optical microscopy," J. Phys. Chem. A, Vol. 101, 7318-1323, 1997.
32. Frey, H. G., C. Bolwien, A. Brandenburg, R. Ros, and D. Anselmetti, "Optimized apertureless optical near-field probes with 15nm optical resolution ," Nanotechnology, Vol. 17, 3105-311, 2006.
33. Butter, J. Y. P. B. Hecht, "Aperture scanning near-field optical microscopy and spectroscopy of single terrylene molecules at 1.8 K," Nanotechnology, Vol. 17, 1547-1550, 2006.
34. Lotito, V., U. Sennhauser, C. Hafner, and G.-L. Bona, "Fully metal-coated scanning near-field optical microscopy probes with spiral corrugations for superfocusing under arbitrarily oriented linearly polarized excitation," Plasmonics, Vol. 6, 327-336, 2011.
35. Lotito, V., U. Sennhauser, and C. V. Hafner, "Numerical analysis of novel asymmetric SNOM tips," PIERS Online, Vol. 7, No. 4, 394-400, 2011.
36. Frey, H. G., F. Keilmann, A. Kriele, and R. Guckenberger, "Enhancing the resolution of scanning near-field optical microscopy by a metal tip grown on an aperture probe," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 81, No. 26, 5030-5032, 2002.
37. Taminiau, T. H., F. B. Segerink, R. J. Moerland, L. Kuipers, and N. F. van Hulst, "Near field driving of a optical monopole antenna," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 9, S315-S321, 2007.
38. Li, Q., X.-J. Chen, Y. Xu, S. Lan, H.-Y. Liu, Q.-F. Dai, and L.-J. Wu, "Photoluminescence properties of CdSe quantum dots accompanied with rotation of the defocused wide-field fluorescence images," J. Phys. Chem. C, Vol. 114, 13427-13432, 2010.
39. Bouhelier, A., M. Beversluis, A. Hartschuh, and L. Novotny, "Near-field second-harmonic generation induced by local field enhancement ," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 1, 013903-1-4, 2003.
40. Hayazawa, N., Y. Saito, and S. Kawata, "Detection and characterization of longitudinal field for tip-enhanced Raman spectroscopy," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, No. 25, 6239-6241, 2004.