In this paper, a novel beamformer for adaptive combination of two adaptive filters is proposed for interference mitigation of sensor array. The proposed approach adaptively combines two individual filters by coefficient weights vector instead of one scale parameter and takes the constraint of affine combination into consideration rather than previous studies. Due to the more degrees of freedom offered by the mixing vector, the proposed beamformer significantly improves the convergence and tracking performances of the combined filter under both stationary and non-stationary environments, respectively. Based on the generalized sidelobe canceller (GSC) structure, the optimal mixing vector is derived by Lagrange method, and then several new effective iterative algorithms are developed for its updating in practical implementation. Furthermore, theoretical discussions of the convergent performances and complexities of the proposed iterative algorithms are also investigated to verify the feasibility of the proposed beamformer. Moreover, the proposed methods in application of beamforming for interference mitigation of antenna array are simulated based space-time processing technique. When compared to existing methods, the proposed approach exhibits faster convergence rate and higher output signal to interference plus noise ratio (SINR). Its good behavior is illustrated through simulation results.
2. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
3. Li, Y., Y.-J. Gu, Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on particle filter with noise unknown," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 151-169, 2009.
4. Mouhamadou, M., P. Armand, P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Interference suppression of the linear antenna arrays controlled by phase with use of SQP algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006.
5. Dhar Roy, S. and S. Kundu, "Performance analysis of cellular CDMA in presence of beamforming and soft handoff," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 73-89, 2008.
6. Sklar, J. R., "Interference mitigation approaches for the global positioning system," Lincoln Laboratory Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2, 1-14, 2003.
7. Umrani, A. W., Y. Guan, and F. A. Umrani, "Effect of steering error vector and angular power distributions on beamforming and transmit diversity systems in correlated fading channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 383-402, 2010.
8. Liang, G., W. Gong, H. Liu, and J. Yu, "Development of 61-channel digital beamforming (DBF) transmitter array for mobile satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 177-195, 2009.
9. Amin, M. G. and W. Sun, "A novel interference suppression scheme for global navigation satellite systems using antenna array," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Commun., Vol. 23, No. 5, 999-1012, 2005.
10. Liu, F., J. Wang, R. Du, L. Peng, and P. Chen, "A second-order cone programming approach for robust downlink beamforming with power control in cognitive radio networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 221-231, 2011.
11. Wang, Y., G. Liao, Z. Ye, and X. Wang, "Combined beamforming with Alamouti coding using double antenna array group for multiuser interference cancellation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 213-226, 2008.
12. Van-Trees, H. L., Optimum Array Processing: Part IV of Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, Wiley, New York, 2002.
13. Mallipeddi, R., J. P. Lie, P. N. Suganthan, S. G. Razul, and C. M. S. See, "Near optimal robust adaptive beamforming approach based on evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 157-174, 2011.
14. Benedetti, M., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "A fully-adaptive smart antenna prototype: Ideal model and experimental validation in complex interference scenarios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 173-191, 2009.
15. Gozasht, F., G. R. Dadashzadeh, and S. Nikmehr, "A comprehensive performance study of circular and hexagonal array geometries in the LMS algorithm for smart antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 281-296, 2007.
16. Atrouz, B., A. Alimohad, and B. Aïssa, "An effective jammers cancellation by means of a rectangular array antenna and a sequential block LMS algorithm: Case of mobile sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 193-207, 2009.
17. Lee, J.-H., G.-W. Jung, and W.-C. Tsai, "Antenna array beamforming in the presence of spatial information uncertainties," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 139-156, 2011.
18. Datta, T., I. S. Misra, B. B. Mangaraj, and S. Imtiaj, "Improved adaptive bacteria foraging algorithm in optimization of antenna array for faster convergence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 143-157, 2008.
19. Xue, W. and X.-W. Sun, "Multiple targets detection method based on binary hough transform and adaptive time-frequency filtering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 309-317, 2007.
20. Aïssa, B., M. Barkat, B. Atrouz, M. C. E. Yagoub, and M. A. Habib, "An adaptive reduced rank STAP selection with staggered PRF, effect of array dimensionality," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 37-52, 2009.
21. Lu, S., Y. Zhao, and S. Geng, "Analysis and simulation of reduced rank space time adaptive filters for GPS antenna arrays," Proc. of 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Commum. and Tech., 1442-1445, Nanjing, China, Nov. 2010.
22. Honig, M. L. and J. S. Goldstein, "Adaptive reduced-rank interference suppression based on the multistage Wiener filter," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 50, No. 6, 986-994, 2002.
23. Werner, S., M. With, and V. Koivuen, "Householder multistage Wiener filter for space time navigation receivers," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 43, No. 3, 975-978, 2007.
24. Lu, S. and J. Sun, A novel adaptive interference mitigation approach based on space time processing for global navigation system receiver arrays, Proc. of 2010 IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Signal Process., 369-372, Beijing, China, Oct. 2010.
25. Mukhopadhyay, M., B. K. Sarkar, and A. Chakraborty, "Augmentation of anti-jam GPS system using smart antenna with a simple DOA estimation algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 231-249, 2007.
26. Yukawa, M., R. C. de Lamare, and I. Yamada, "Robust reduced-rank adaptive algorithm based on parallel subgradient projection and Krylov subspace," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 57, No. 12, 4660-4674, 2009.
27. De Lamare, R. C. and R. Sampaio-Neto, "Reduced-rank adaptive ¯ltering based on joint iterative optimization of adaptive filters," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 12, 2007.
28. Arenas-García, J., A. R. Figueiras-Vidal, and A. H. Sayed, "Mean-square performance of a convex combination of two adaptive filters," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1078-1090, 2006.
29. Arenas-García, J. and A. R. Figueiras-Vidal, "Adaptive combination of proportionate filters for sparse echo cancellation," IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech, Lang. Process., Vol. 17, 1087-1098, 2009.
30. Silva, M. T. M. and V. H. Nascimento, "Improving the tracking capability of adaptive filters via convex combination," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, No. 7, 3137-3149, 2008.
31. Kozat, S. S., A. T. Erdogan, A. C. Singer, and A. H. Sayed, "Steady-state MSE performance analysis of mixture approaches to adaptive filtering," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 8, 4050-4063, 2010.
32. Bershad, N. J., J. C. M. Bermudez, and J. Y. Tourneret, "An affine combination of two LMS adaptive filters --- Transient mean-square analysis," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1853-1864, 2008.
33. Candido, R., M. T. M. Silva, and V. H. Nascimento, "Transient and steady-state analysis of the affine combination of two adaptive filter," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 8, 4064-4079, 2010.
34. Fa, R., R. C. de Lamare, and V. H. Nascimento, "Knowledge-aided STAP algorithm using convex combination of inverse covariance matrices for heterogenous clutter," Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, Signal Process., 2742-2745, Dallas, TX, 2010.
35. Nascimento, V. H., M. T. M. Silva, L. A. Azpicueta-Ruiz, and J. Arenas-García, "On the tracking performance of combination of least mean squares and recursive least squares adaptive filters," Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, Signal Process., 3710-3713, Dallas, TX, 2010.
36. Lee, J.-H., Y.-S. Jeong, S.-W. Cho, W.-Y. Yeo, and K. S. J. Pister, "Application of the Newton method to improve the accuracy of TOA estimation with the beamforming algorithm and the MUSIC algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 475-515, 2011.
37. Haykin, S., Adaptive Filter Theory, 4th Ed., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2002.
38. Joham, M. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Interpretation of the multi-stage nested Wiener filter in the Krylov subspace framework," Technical Report TUM-LNS-TR-00-6, Munich University of Technology, Nov. 2000. Also: Technical Report TR-ECE-00-51, Purdue University.
39. Sayed, A. H., Adaptive Filters, Wiley, New York, 2008.
40. Lee, Y. and W.-R. Wu, "A robust adaptive generalized sidelobe canceller with decision feedback," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 3822-3832, 2005.
41. Ricks, D. C. and J. S. Goldstein, "Efficient architectures for implementing adaptive algorithms," Proceedings of 2000 Antenna Application Symposium, 29-41, Allerton Park, Monticello, 2000.
42. Srar, J. A., K.-S. Chung, and A. Mansour, "Adaptive array beamforming using a combined LMS-LMS algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 11, 3545-3557, Nov. 2010.