In distributed satellite synthetic aperture radar (DS-SAR), along-track and cross-track baselines couple with each other and change dynamically due to formation flying, which makes it difficult to estimate interferometric baseline accurately. To solve the problem, a novel high-precision baseline estimation approach based on interferometric phase is proposed. By modeling accurate relationship between coupling baselines and two-dimensional (azimuth and range) inteferometric fringe frequency under the ellipsoid earth model, the along-track and cross-track baseline can be estimated separately by interferometric phase decoupling. By selecting several segments from interferometric phase during the whole data-take time and estimating instantaneous baseline of each segment, the dynamic baseline can be obtained via a linear filtering. Besides, to improve the baseline estimation accuracy, Semi-Newton iterative method is applied to acquire high-precision fringe frequency estimation, which can make the baseline estimation achieve centimeter level precision. The simulation validates the approach.
2. Massonnet, D., "Capabilities and limitations of the interferometric cartwheel," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 3, 506-520, 2001.
3. Wu, B. I., M. C. Yeung, Y. Hara, and J. A. Kong, "InSAR height inversion by using 3-D phase projection with multiple baselines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 173-193, 2009.
4. Li, S., H. P. Xu, and L. Q. Zhang, "An advanced Dss-SAR InSAR terrain height estimation approach based on baseline decoupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 207-224, 2011.
5. Liu, D., Y. Du, G. Sun, W.-Z. Yan, and B.-I. Wu, "Analysis of InSAR sensitivity to forest structure based on radar scattering model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 149-171, 2008.
6. Ren, K., V. Prinet, and X. Q. Shi, "Comparison of satellite baseline estimation methods for interferometry applications," IGARSS'03, Vol. 6, 3821-3823, 2003.
7. Kimura, H. and M. Todo, "Baseline estimation using ground points for interferometric SAR," IGARSS'97, Vol. 1, 442-444, 1997.
8. Zhang, X. L., S. J. Huang, and J. G. Wang, "Approaches to estimating terrain height and baseline for interferometric SAR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 25, 2428-2429, 1998.
9. Chen, J., S. Quegan, and X. Yin, "Calibration of spaceborne linearly polarized low frequency SAR using polarimetric selective radar calibrators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 89-111, 2011.
10. Wei, H. J., J. B. Zhu, and D. N. Liang, "An accurate baseline estimate method for rugged terrain utilize rough DEM," Journal of National University of Defence Technology, Vol. 32, No. 1, 74-78, 2010.
11. Lin, J. T., J. Hong, and J. W. Hu, "Calibration for spaceborne InSAR baseline vector based on sea surface," Foreign Electronic Measurement Technology, Vol. 29, No. 3, 31-34, 2010.
12. Singh, K., et al., "Baseline estimation in interferometric SAR," IGARSS'97, Vol. 1, 454-456, 1997.
13. Tang, X. Q., M. S. Xiang, and Y. R. Wu, "An improved baseline estimation approach based on the interferometric phases," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 30, No. 12, 2795-2799, 2008.
14. Atwood, D. K., et al., "DEM control in Arctic Alaska with ICESat laser altimetry," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 45, No. 11, 3710-3720, 2007.
15. Brown, Jr., C. G., K. Sarabandi, and L. E. Pierce, "Validation of the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission height data," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 43, No. 8, 1707-1715, 2005.
16. Ma, L., Z. F. Li, and G. Liao, "System error analysis and calibration methods for multi-channel SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 309-327, 2011.
17. Dang, Y. W. and W. D. Yu, "Analysis of the along-track baseline decorrelation of distributed small satellites SAR," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 29, No. 12, 2863-2866, 2007.
18. Krieger, G., et al., "TanDEM-X: A satellite formation for high-resolution SAR interferometry," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 45, No. 11, 3317-3341, 2007.
19. Krieger, G., et al., "Interferometric synthetic aperture radar (SAR) missions employing formation flying," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 5, 816-843, 2010.
20. Xu, Q., G. S. Liao, and Y. Liu, "3-D baseline error estimation method for distributed small satellites," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 25, No. 4, 668-672, 2008.
21. Liu, Y., Z. M. Wang, and D. Y. Yi, "Associated modeling and error analysis between space states and alimeter baseline of distributed SAR," Journal of System Simulation, Vol. 19, No. 15, 3468-3472, 2007.
22. Cumming, I. G. and J. R. Bennett, "Digital processing of SEASAT SAR data," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech & Signal Processing, Vol. 4, 710-718, 1979.
23. Huang, Y., Research on Image Formation Technology for High Resolution SAR, Beihang University, Beijing, 1999.
24. Sun, J., S. Mao, G. Wang, and W. Hong, "Polar format algorithm for spotlight bistatic SAR with arbitrary geometry configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 323-338, 2010.
25. Xu, H. P., Y. Q. Zhou, and C. S. Li, "Signal model of single look complex image for distributed small satellite synthetic aperture radar," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 26, 168-172, 2004.
26. Guo, D., H. Xu, and J. Li, "Extended wavenumber domain algorithm for highly squinted sliding spotlight SAR data processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 17-32, 2011.
27. Xu, W., P. Huang, and Y.-K. Deng, "Multi-channel Spcmb-Tops SAR for high-resolution wide-swath imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 533-551, 2011.
28. Liu, Q., W. Hong, W. Tan, Y. Lin, Y. Wang, and Y. Wu, "An improved polar format algorithm with performance analysis for geosynchronous circular SAR 2D imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 155-170, 2011.
29. Sansosti, E., et al., "Geometrical SAR image registration," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2861-2870, 2006.
30. Nitti, D. O., et al., "Impact of DEM-assisted coregistration on high-resolution SAR interferometry," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 3, 1127-1143, 2011.
31. Li, C. and D. Y. Zhu, "A residue-pairing algorithm for InSAR phase unwrapping," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 341-354, 2009.
32. Abatzoglou, T. J., "A fast maximum likelihood algorithm for frequency estimation of a sinusoid based on Newton's method," IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 33, No. 1, 77-89, 1985.
33. Xu, H. P., J. Chen, B. F. Wang, and Y. Q. Zhou, "Quick method of distributed small satellite synthetic aperture radar single-look complex image simulation," Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 32, No. 4, 445-449, 2006.
34. Chang, Y.-L., C.-Y. Chiang, and K.-S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
35. Zhang, M., Y. W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W.-Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011.