This paper deals with an analytical solution of the time domain Pocklington equation for a straight thin wire of finite length, buried in a lossy half-space and excited via the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) excitation. Presence of the earth-air interface is taken into account via the simplified reflection coefficient arising from the Modified Image Theory (MIT). The analytical solution is carried out using the Laplace transform and the Cauchy residue theorem. The EMP excitation is treated via numerical convolution. The obtained analytical results are compared to those calculated using the numerical solution of the frequency domain Pocklington equation combined with the Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT).
2. Poljak, D., "Advanced Modeling in Computational Electromagnetic Compatibility ," Wiley-Interscience, New Jersey, USA, 2007.
3. Miller, E. K., A. J. Poggio, and G. J. Burke, "An integro-di®erential equation technique for the time-domain analysis of thin wire structures. I. The numerical method," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 12, No. 1, 24-48, May 1973.
4. Bridges, G. E., "Transient plane wave coupling to bare and insulated cables buried in a lossy half-space," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 37, No. 1, 62-70, Feb. 1995.
5. Lorentzou, M. I., N. D. Hatziargyriou, and B. C. Papadias, "Time domain analysis of grounding electrodes impulse response," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 2, 517-524, Apr. 2003.
6. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna model for transient analysis of simple grounding systems, part II: The horizontal grounding electrode ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 167-189, 2006.
7. Chen, H. T., J.-X. Luo, and D.-K. Zhang, "An analytic formula of the current distribution for the VLF horizontal wire antenna above lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 149-158, 2008.
8. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and X.-M. Jiang, "Transient analysis of wire structures using time domain integral equation method with exact matrix elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 281-298, 2009.
9. Jin, X. and M. Ali, "Embedded antennas in dry and saturated concrete for application in wireless sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 197-211, 2010.
10. Seo, D.-W., J.-H. Yoo, K. Kwon, and N.-H. Myung, "A hybrid method for computing the RCS of wire scatterers with an arbitrary orientation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 55-68, 2010.
11. Poljak, D. and N. Kovac, "Time domain modeling of a thin wire in a two-media configuration featuring a simplified reflection/transmission coefficient approach," Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, Vol. 33, 283-293, 2009.
12. King, R. W. P., G. J. Fikioris, and R. B. Mack, "Cylindrical Antennas and Arrays," Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
13. King, R. W. P., "Embedded bare and insulated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 3, 253-260, May 1977.
14. Tkatchenko, S., F. Rachidi, and M. Ianoz, "Electromagnetic field coupling to a line of finite length: Theory and fast iterative solutions in frequency and time domains," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 37, No. 4, 509-517, Nov. 1995.
15. Tkatchenko, S., F. Rachidi, and M. Ianoz, "High-frequency electromagnetic field coupling to long terminated lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 43, No. 2, 117-129, May 2001.
16. Hoorfar, A. and D. C. Chang, "Analytic determination of the transient response of a thin-wire antenna based upon an SEM representation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 6, 1145-1152, Nov. 1982.
17. Velazquez, R. and D. Mukhedkar, "Analytical modelling of grounding electrodes transient behavior," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 103, No. 6, 1314-1322, Jun. 1984.
18. Chen, K. C., "Transient response of an infinite cylindrical antenna in a dissipative medium," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 5, 562-573, May 1987.
19. Tijhuis, A. G., Z. Peng, and A. Rubio Bretones, "Transient excitation of a straight thin-wire segment: A new look at an old problem," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 10, 1132-1146, Oct. 1992.
20. Sesnic, S. and D. Poljak, Time domain analytical modeling of finite length thin wire embedded in homogeneous lossy medium, SoftCOM 2010 18th International Conference on Software, Telecomumnications & Computer Networks, Split-Bol, 2010.
21. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, Wiley-Interscience, New Jersey, USA, 2007.
22. Rothwell, E. J. and M. J. Cloud, "Electromagnetics," CRC Press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington, D.C., 2001.
23. Takashima, T., T. Nakae, and R. Ishibashi, "Calculation of complex fields in conducting media," IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation, Vol. 15, No. 1, 1-7, Feb. 1980.
24. Polyanin, A. D. and A. V. Manzhirov, Handbook of Integral Equations, CRC Press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington, D.C., 1998.
25. Dyakin, V. V. and S. V. Marvin, "Initial-boundary value problem and integrodifferential equations of electrodynamics for an inhomogeneous conductive body," Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 275-283, 2008.
26. Bost, F., L. Nicolas, and G. Rojat, "A time-domain integral formulation for the scattering by thin wires," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 4, 868-871, Jul. 2000.
27. Hallen, E., "Theoretical investigations into the transmitting and receiving qualities of antenn," Nova Acta Regiae Societatis Scientiarum Upsaliensis, Vol. 11, No. 4, 3-4, Nov. 1938.
28. Bogerd, J. C., A. G. Tijhuis, and J. J. A. Klaasen, "Electromagnetic excitation of a thin wire: A traveling-wave approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1202-1211, Aug. 1998.
29. Schiff, J. L., The Laplace Transform --- Theory and Applications, Springer-Verlag, New York, USA, 1999.
30. Tesche, F. M., M. Ianoz, and T. Karlsson, EMC Analysis Methods and Computational Models, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 1997.