The purpose of this paper is to propose a novel generalized single-band transformer for two arbitrary complex load and source impedances and a novel high-power amplifier using this new transformer. By adding two reactive parts at across terminals, the coupled line with flexible electrical length has practical even- and odd-mode characteristic impedances. Thus, the total circuit layout can be realized on common printed circuit board without any restriction. The synthesis theory of this proposed transformer is complete and analytical. Furthermore, unlike conventional quarter-wavelength transformers, this structure exhibits four main features such as effective matching for extremely low-resistive load impedance, effective matching for extremely high-resistive load impedance, tunable characteristic for equivalent electrical length and inherent DC-block function. For theoretical verification, several impedance transformers, which include some fixed operating-frequency cases and a tunable case, for smaller than 7 Ohm or larger than 1500 Ohm, are presented. As a typical experimental example, this analyzed transformer with inherent DC-block function has been applied in a 4-Watt power amplifier as output matching structure.
2. Jafari, E., F. Hojatkashani, and R. Rezaiesarlak, "A wideband compact planar balun for UHF DTV applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2047-2053, 2009.
3. Yoon, J., H. Seo, I. Choi, and B. Kim, "Wideband LNA using a negative GM cell for improvement of linearity and noise figure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 619-630, 2010.
4. Lee, M.-W., S.-H. Kam, Y.-S. Lee, and Y.-H. Jeong, "A highly efficient three-stage Doherty power amplifier with flat gain for WCDMA applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2537-2545, 2010.
5. Zhang, B., Y.-Z. Xiong, L.Wang, S. Hu, T.-G. Lim, Y.-Q. Zhuang, and L.-W. Li, "A D-band power amplifier with 30-GHz bandwidth and 4.5-dBm Psat for high-speed communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 161-178, 2010.
6. Jimenez Martin, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class ce power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009.
7. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Multi-band functional tunable LH impedance transformer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 39-47, 2009.
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Nos. 2-5, 187-418, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 2006.
9. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "A dual-frequency transformer for complex impedances with two unequal sections," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 77-79, 2009.
10. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and X. Liu, "A generalized dual-frequency transformer for two arbitrary complex frequency-dependent impedances," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 792-794, 2009.
11. Chramiec, J. and M. Kitlinski, "Design of quarter-wave compact impedance transformers using coupled transmission lines ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 25, 1683-1685, 2002.
12. Liu, S. P., "Planar transmission line transformer using coupled microstrip lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 789-792, 1998.
13. Ang, K. S., C. H. Lee, Y. C. Leong, and , Analysis and design of coupled line impedance transformers, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1951-1954, 2004.
14. Ang, K. S., C. H. Lee, and Y. C. Leong, "A broad-band quarter-wavelength impedance transformer with three reflection zeros within passband," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2640-2644, 2004.
15. Jensen, T., V. Zhurbenko, V. Krozer, and P. Meincke, "Coupled transmission lines as impedance transformer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2957-2965, 2007.
16. Best, S. R., "Low Q electrically small linear and elliptical polarized spherical dipole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1047-1053, 2005.
17. Steve, C. C., RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications, 2nd Ed., No. 5, 92-100, Artech House Microwave Library, 2006.
18. Freescale Semiconductor, "RF LDMOS wideband integrated power amplifiers," Document Number: MW7IC2240N, Rev. 0, 11/2007.