Nowadays, millimeter-wave systems are being a key factor to develop wide band applications. In this paper, a directional coupler in millimeter-wave band using dielectric overlay is presented. This leads us to technology aspects, in directional coupler design, are key points to achieve the proper response of the circuit. The coupler proposed in this paper covers the 15-45 GHz band and its response has 15-dB coupling-level, 1-dB coupling-ripple and a reflection coefficient better than 10 dB.
2. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010.
3. Wang, Z., B. Zhao, Q. Lai, H. Zhong, R.-M. Xu, and W. Lin, "Design of novel millimeter-wave wideband bandpass filter based on three-line microstrip structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 671-680, 2010.
4. Wang, Z., Q. Lai, R.-M. Xu, B. Yan, W. Lin, and Y. Guo, "A millimeter-wave ultra-wideband four-way switch filter module based on novel three-line microstrip structure band-pass filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 297-309, 2009.
5. Yang, X.-D., Y.-S. Li, and C.-Y. Liu, "A toothbrush-shaped patch antenna for millimeter-wave communication," Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 31-37, 2009.
6. Hung, C.-Y., M.-H. Weng, R.-Y. Yang, and H.-W. Wu, "Design of a compact CMOS bandpass filter for passive millimeter-wave imaging system application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2323-2330, 2009.
7. Zhang, Q.-L. and S. N. Khan, "Compact broadside coupled directional coupler based on coplanar CRLH waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 267-277, 2009.
8. Lopez-Berrocal, B., J. de-Oliva-Rubio, E. Marquez-Segura, A. Moscoso-Martir, I. Molina-Fernandez, and P. Uhlig, "High performance 1.8-18 GHz 10-dB low temperature co-fired ceramic directional coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 99-112, 2010.
9. Podell, A., "A high directivity microstrip coupler technique," G-MTT 1970 International Microwave Symposium, 33-36, May 11-14, 1970.
10. Kobayashi, M. and R. Terakado, "Method for equalizing phase velocities of coupled microstrip lines by using anisotropic substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 7, 719-722, Jul.1980.
11. March, S. L., "Phase velocity compensation in parallel-coupled microstrip," MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 82, No. 1, 410-412, Jun. 15-17, 1982.
12. Spielman, B. E., "The development of a 20 dB directional coupler for MIC applications," MTT-G International Microwave Symposium Digest, 186-188, Jun. 4-6, 1973.
13. Sheleg, B. and B. E. Spielman, "Broad band directional couplers using microstrip with dielectric overlays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 22, No. 12, 1216-1219, Dec. 1974.
14. Paolino, D. D., "MIC overlay coupler design using spectral domain techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 9, 646-649, Sep. 1978.
15. Levy, R., "Tables for asymmetric multi-element coupled-transmission-line directional couplers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, No. 3, 275-279, May 1964.
16. Pelaez-Perez, A. M., J. I. Alonso, P. Almorox-Gonzalez, and J. Gonzalez-Martin, "Ultrabroadband Wilkinson power divider in millimeter-wave band," Microwave Journal, Vol. 52, No. 11, 32-42, Nov. 2009.
17. Southwest Microwave website, [online] available: http://www.southwestmicrowave.com, .