As to low observable platform, one of the major contributing sources of target RCS is the scattering due to onboard antennas. So the research on RCS reduction of the antenna is important. In this paper, a holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS is designed. A square notch is etched to improve impedance matching and expand the bandwidth in the ground. The measured -10 dB bandwidth is from 2.1 to 15.4 GHz (only a little higher than -10 dB around 7.5 GHz). The radiation patterns retain symmetry and are relatively stable at 2.5, 8 and 11 GHz. The monostatic RCS performance in four different incident cases is studied to obtain some helpful conclusions for the RCS reduction of the UWB antenna. The RCS achieves effective reduction in comparison with that of the reference antenna. The largest reduction is 4.1, 19.8, 3.9dBsm in three different incident cases, respectively, while the largest loss of gain is only about -1.3 dB. The antenna suits the occasion of desiring UWB antenna with low RCS.
2. Cao, P. C., , Y.-B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Fast RCS prediction using multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray method on the GPU," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 187-202, 2010.
3. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez Lopez, and F. Las-Heras Andrés, "A novel approach for reduction using a combination of artificial magnetic conductors ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 147-159, 2010.
4. Sun, X. M., H. H. Wang, and H. Y. Zhang, "Scattering by an in¯nite cylinder arbitrarily illuminated with a couple of gaussian beams," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1329-1339, 2010.
5. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, W. Shao, and L. Guo, "A reflectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010.
6. Hong, T., L.-T. Jiang, Y.-X. Xu, S.-X. Gong, and W. Jiang, "Radiation and scattering analysis of a novel circularly polarized slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1709-1720, 2010.
7. Liu, Y., S.-X. Gong, and D.-M. Fu, "A novel model for analyzing the RCS of microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 835-838, 2003.
8. Heidrich, E. and W. Wiesbeck, "Reduction and minimization of antenna scattering," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 904-907, 1992.
9. Zhao, S.-C. and B.-Z. Wang, "Advances on radar cross reduction of microstrip antenna array," Systems Engineering and Eletronics, Vol. 31, No. 4, 812-815, 2009.
10. Zhong, S.-S. and X.-L. Liang, "Progress in ultra-wideband planar antennas," Journal of Shanghai University (English Edition), Vol. 11, No. 2, 95-101, 2007.
11. Lv, W.-J. and H.-B. Zhu, "On the frequency notched planar ultra-wideband antennas," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 24, No. 4, 780-785, 2009.
12. Sze, J.-Y., K.-L. Wong, and C.-C. Huang, "Coplanar waveguidefed square slor antenna for broadband circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 2003.
13. Xia, Y.-Q., J. Luo, and D.-J. Edwards, "Novel miniature printed monopole antenna with dual tunable band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1783-1793, 2010.
14. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, X. Yin, and K. Lu, "Ultra-wideband Koch fractal antenna with low backscattering cross section," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17--18, 2615-2623.
15. Jiang, W., S.-X. Gong, T. Hong, and X. Wang, "Fan-shaped antenna with low RCS for ultra-wideband application," Acta Electronica Sinica (in Chinese), Vol. 38, No. 9, 2162-2165, 2010.
16. Liu, Y. and S. X. Gong, "A novel UWB clover-disc monopole antenna with RCS reduction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8--9, 1115-1121, 2008.
17. Hu, S., H. Chen, and C. L. Law, "Backscattering cross section of ultra-wideband antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 6, 70-73, 2007.
18. Huang, C.-Y. and W.-C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 6, 2005.
19. Yang, Z., L. Li, and H. Wang, "Investigation on ultra-wideband printed circular monopole antenna with frequency-notched," IEEE ICMMT2008 Proceedings, 2008.
20. Liang, J., et al., "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems,", Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.