An analytical approach based on linear periodic time-varying theory, is developed to analyze the noise characteristics of current-commutating CMOS mixers. Based on the derived transfer functions with memory effect of tail capacitance, the frequency-dependent noise transforming factors for individual stages in the mixers are numerically computed to rigorously describe the noise output. A unified noise expression considering both the thermal noise and the flicker noise is proposed. It enables the noise analysis of the mixers particularly for a high LO frequency with different IF characteristics, and is verified by measurements.
2. Hull, C. D. and R. G. Meyer, "A systematic approach to the analysis of noise in mixers," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Vol. 40, 909-919, 1993.
3. Yoon, J., H. Seo, I. Choi, and B. Kim, "Wideband LNA using a negative gm cell for improvement of linearity and noise figure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5--6, 619-630, 2010.
4. Terrovitis, M. T. and R. G. Meyer, "Noise in current-commutating CMOS mixers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 34, 772-783, 1999.
5. Darabi, H. and A. A. Abidi, "Noise in RF-CMOS mixers: A simple physical model," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, 15-25, 2000.
6. Gardner, W. A., "Introduction to Random Processes with Applications to Signals and Systems," McGraw-Hill, 1989.
7. Lee, T. H., The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits, 2nd Ed., Cambridge University Press, New York, 2004.
8. Li, Z. and J. Ma, "Compact channel noise models for deep-submicron mosfet," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 56, 1300-1307, 2009.
9. De la Morena-Álvarez-Palencia, C. and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Four-octave six-port receiver and its calibration for broadband communications and software defined radios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 1-21, 2011.
10. Guo, J., Z. Xu, C. Qian, and W.-B. Dou, "Design of a microstrip balanced mixer for satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 289-301, 2011.
11. Park, C., H. Seo, and B. Kim, "A noise optimized passive mixer for charge-domain sampling applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 1909-1917, 2009.