In this paper, we present a RF directional modulation technique using a switched antenna array for physical layer secure communication. The main idea is that a switching scheme of the switched antenna array is designed according to a spreading sequence for the purpose of spreading spectrum of the transmit signal. The transmit signal is associated with the spreading sequence and the direction of the desired receiver because of information data modulated both in the baseband and the antenna level. In this way, the desired receiver with a single antenna can demodulate the receive signal as traditional spread-spectrum signal, while eavesdroppers can not extract any useful information from the receive signal even if eavesdroppers know the spreading sequence of the RF directional modulation signal. Simulation results show that the proposed technique offers a more secure transmission method for wireless communication comparison with traditional spread-spectrum signal.
2. Daly, M. P., E. L. Daly, and J. T. Bernhard, "Demonstration of directional modulation using a phased array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1545-1550, 2010.
3. Daly, M. P. and J. T. Bernhard, "Beamsteering in pattern reconfigurable arrays using directional modulation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2259-2265, 2010.
4. Babakhani, A., D. B. Rutledge, and A. Hajimiri, "Transmitter architectures based on near-field direct antenna modulation," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 12, 2674-2692, 2008.
5. Hubenko, V. P., R. A. Raines, R. F. Mills, R. O. Baldwin, B. E. Mullins, and M. R. Grimaila, "Improving the global information grid's performance through satellite communications layer enhancements," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 11, 66-72, 2006.
6. Debbah, M., E. Hesham, P. H. Vincent, and S. Shlomo, "Editorial: Wireless physical layer security," Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2009, 2009.
7. Khisti, A. and G. W. Wornell, "Secure transmission with multiple antennas I: The MISOME wiretap channel," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 56, No. 7, 3088-3104, 2010.
8. Khisti, A. and G. W. Wornell, "Secure transmission with multiple antennas --- Part II: The MIMOME wiretap channel," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 56, No. 11, 5515-5532, 2010.
9. Hero III, A. O., "Secure space-time communication," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 12, 3235-3249, 2003.
10. Kim, H. and J. D. Villasenor, "Secure MIMO communications in a system with equal numbers of transmit and receive antennas," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 12, No. 5, 386-388, 2008.
11. Csiszar, I. and J. Korner, "Broadcast channels with confidential messages," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 24, No. 3, 339-348, 2003.
12. Krikidis, I., J. Thompson, and S. Mclaughlin, "Relay selection for secure cooperative networks with jamming," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 10, 5003-5011, 2009.
13. Dong, L., Z. Han, A. P. Petropulu, and H. V. Poor, "Improving wireless physical layer security via cooperating relays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 3, 1875-1888, 2010.
14. Simeone, O. and P. Popovski, "Secure communications via cooperating base stations," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, 188-190, 2008.
15. Li, Z. and X.-G. Xia, "A distributed di®erentially encoded OFDM scheme for asynchronous cooperative systems with low probability of interception ," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 7, 3372-3379, 2009.
16. Ma, R., L. Dai, Z. Wang, and J. Wang, "Secure communication in TDS-OFDM system using constellation rotation and noise insertion ," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1328-1332, 2010.
17. Li, X.-H. and J. Hwu, "Using antenna array redundancy and channel diversity for secure wireless transmissions," Journal of Communications, Vol. 2, No. 3, 24-32, 2007.
18. Hong, T., M.-Z. Song, and Y. Liu, "Directional sensitive modulation signal transmitted by monopulse cassegrain antenna for physical layer secure communication," Progress In Electromagnet ics Research M, Vol. 17, 167-181, 2011.
19. Jing, T., S. Qiao, Z.-G. Shi, L. Peng, J. Huangfu, W.-Z. Cui, W. Ma, and L.-X. Ran, "Simulation and experimental evaluation of the radar signal performance of chaotic signals generated from a microwave colpitts oscillator ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 15-30, 2009.
20. Chou, H.-T., K.-L. Hung, and C.-Y. Chen, "Utilization of a Yagi antenna director array to synthesize a shaped radiation pattern for optimum coverage in wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 851-861, 2009.
21. Kazemi, S., F. Keshmiri, and H. R. Hassani, "Amplitude distribution synthesize of unequally spaced arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 987-997, 2009.
22. He, Q.-Q., H.-D. He, and H. Lan, "An efficient pattern synthesis method for cylindrical phased array antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 473-482, 2009.
23. Lim, S.-H., J.-H. Han, S.-Y. Kim, and N.-H. Myung, "Azimuth beam pattern synthesis for airborne SAR system optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 295-309, 2010.
24. Shanks, H. E. and R. W. Bickmore, "Four-dimensional electromagnetic radiators," Canad. J. Phys., Vol. 37, 263-275, Mar. 1959.
25. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and P. K. Tan, "A new technique for power-pattern synthesis in time-modulated linear arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 2, 285-287, 2003.
26. Li, G., S. Yang, M. Huang, and Z. Nie, "Sidelobe suppression in time modulated linear arrays with unequal element spacing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 775-783, 2010.
27. Yang, S., Y. Chen, and Z.-P. Nie, "Simulation of time modulated linear antenna arrays using the FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 175-190, 2009.
28. Pal, S., S. Das, and A. Basak, "Design of time-modulated linear arrays with a multi-objective optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 83-107, 2010.
29. Li, G., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "A study on the application of time modulated antenna arrays to airborne pulsed Doppler radar," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1578-1582, May 2009.
30. Li, G., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Direction of arrival estimation in time modulated linear arrays with unidirectional phase center motion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1105-1111, 2010.
31. Fredrick, J. D., W. Yuanxun, J. Seong-Sik, and T. Itoh, A smart antenna receiver array using a single rf channel and digital beamforming, 2002 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 311-314, 2002.
32. Bregains, J. C., J. Fondevila-Gomez, G. Franceschetti, and F. Ares, "Signal radiation and power losses of time-modulated arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1799-1804, 2008.
33. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and A. Qing, "Sideband suppression in time-modulated linear arrays by the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 1, 173-175, 2002.
34. Rocca, P., L. Poli, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Synthesis of time-modulated planar arrays with controlled harmonic radiations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 827-838, 2010.
35. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "A two-element time-modulated array with direction-finding properties," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 64-65, 2007.
36. Li, G., S. Yang, Y. Chen, and Z.-P. Nie, "A novel electronic beam steering technique in time modulated antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 391-405, 2009.
37. Dimousios, T. D., C. D. Nikolopoulos, S. A. Mitilineos, and C. N. Capsalis, "A new low-profile and cost SPA-PIFA for mobile 2.4 GHz ISM applications ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 881-891, 2010.
38. Viani, F., L. Lizzi, M. Donelli, D. Pregnolato, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Exploitation of parasitic smart antennas in wireless sensor networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 993-1003, 2010.
39. Soltani, S., M. N. Azarmanesh, E. Valikhanloo, and P. Lotfi, "Design of a simple single-feed dual-orthogonal-linearly-polarized slot antenna for concurrent 3.5 GHz WIMAX and 5GHZ WLAN access point," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1741-1750, 2010.