The paper discusses the radiation of compressed high power short RF pulses using two different types of antennas: (i) A simple monopole antenna and (ii) a novel array design, where each of the elements is constructed by combining a compressor and a radiator. The studies on the monopole antenna demonstrate the possibility of a high power short RF pulse's efficient radiation even using simple antennas. The studies on the novel array design demonstrate that a reduced size array with lower pulse distortion and power decay can be constructed by assembling the array from elements each of which integrates a compressor and a radiator. This design idea can be used with any type of antenna array; in this work it is applied to a phased array.
2. Vikharev, A. L., A. M. Gorbachev, O. A. Ivanov, V. A. Isaev, S. V. Kuzikov, B. Z. Movshevich, J. Hirshfield, and S. H. Gold, "Active Bragg compressor of 3-cm wavelength microwave pulses," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 51, No. 7, 539-555, 2008.
3. Andreev, A. D., E. G. Farr, and E. Schamiloglu, "A simplified theory of microwave pulse compression," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, No. 57, 2008.
4. Tamura, F. and S. G. Tantawi, "Development of high power X-band semiconductor microwave switch for pulse compression systems of future linear colliders ," Phys. Rev. Spec. Top. Accel. Beams, Vol. 5, 062001, 2002.
5. Faillon, G. and A.-J. Durand, Microwave pulse generator incorporating a pulse compressor, U.S. Patent 6768266, July 27, 2004.
6. Artemenko, S. N., "Formation of nanosecond RF pulses in an autogenerator by resonance compression of microwave energy," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 41, No. 7, 616-624, 1998.
7. Bossart, R., P. Brown, J. Mourier, I. V. Syratchev, and L. Tanner, "High-power microwave pulse compression of klystrons by phase-modulation of high-Q storage cavities," CERN CLIC-Notes, No. 592, 2004.
8. Farr, E. G., L. H. Bowen, W. D. Prather, and C. E. Baum, "Microwave pulse compression experiments at low and high power," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, No. 63, 2010.
9. Benford, J., "Space applications of high-power microwaves," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 36, No. 3, 569-581, 2008.
10. Giri, D. V., F. M. Tesche, and C. E. Baum, "An overview of high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) radiating and conducting systems," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, Vol. 50, 2006.
11. Sirenko, K., Axially-symmetrical radiators of pulsed TM0n- and TE0n-waves , Proc. MMET'06, 321-323, 2006.
12. Sirenko, K. Y. and V. L. Pazynin, "Axially-symmetrical radiators of pulsed and monochromatic TE- and TM-waves," Uspekhi Sovremennoi Radioelektroniki, Vol. 4, 52-69, 2006 (in Russian).
13. Sirenko, K. Y., "Slot resonances in axially symmetric radiators of pulse-modulated and monochromatic TM0n-modes," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 66, No. 1, 9-21, 2007.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory. Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
15. Sirenko, K., V. Pazynin, Y. K. Sirenko, and H. Bagci, "An FFT-accelerated FDTD scheme with exact absorbing conditions for characterizing axially symmetric resonant structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 331-364, 2011.
16. Sirenko, K. Y. and Y. K. Sirenko, "Exact absorbing conditions in the initial boundary-value problems of the theory of open waveguide resonators," Comput. Math. Math. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 3, 490-506, 2005.
17. Sirenko, Y. K., S. Strom, and . P. Yashina, "Modeling and Analysis of Transient Processes in Open Resonant Structures. New Methods and Techniques," Springer, Berlin, 2007.
18. Hairer, E., C. H. Lubich, and M. Schlichte, "Fast numerical solution of nonlinear Volterra convolution equations," SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput., Vol. 6, No. 3, 532-541, 1985.
19. Yilmaz, A. E., D. S. Weile, B. Shanker, J.-M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast analysis of transient scattering in lossy media," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 14-17, 2002.
20. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, "A fast hybrid TDIE-FDTD-MNA scheme for analyzing cable-induced transient coupling into shielding enclosures," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 3, 828-833, 2005.
21. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, V. Lomakin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast solution of mixed-potential time-domain integral equations for half-space environments," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 2, 269-279, 2005.
22. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, "FFT-accelerated MOT-based solution of time-domain BLT equations," Proc. IEEE Int. Antennas Propagat. Symp., 1175-1178, 2006.
23. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, J.-M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast and rigorous analysis of EMC/EMI phenomena on electrically large and complex structures loaded with coaxial cables," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 361-381, 2007.
24. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, "An FFT-accelerated time-domain multiconductor transmission line simulator," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 199-214, 2010.
25. Sirenko, Y. K. and S. Strom, Modern Theory of Gratings. Resonant Scattering: Analysis Techniques and Phenomena, Springer, Berlin, 2010.
26. Bhattacharyya, A., Phased Array Antennas and Subsystems: Floquet Analysis, Synthesis, BFNs, and Active Array Systems, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2006, Dumka, Kiev, 1986 (in Russian).
27. Shestopalov, V. P., A. A. Kirilenko, and L. A. Rud', "Waveguide discontinuities," Resonance Wave Scattering, Vol. 2, Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1986 (in Russian).
28. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, New York, 1998.
29. Belous, O. I., A. A. Kirilenko, V. I. Tkachenko, A. I. Fisun, and A. M. Fursov, "Excitation of an open stripline resonator by a plane waveguide," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 37, No. 3, 181-189, 1994.
30. Sirenko, Y. K., L. G. Velychko, and F. Erden, "Time-domain and frequency-domain methods combined in the study of open resonance structures of complex geometry ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 57-79, 2004.
31. Velychko, L. G., Y. K. Sirenko, and O. S. Shafalyuk, "Time-domain analysis of open resonators. Analytical grounds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 1-26, 2006.
32. Velychko, L. G. and Y. K. Sirenko, "Controlled changes in spectra of open quasi-optical resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 85-105, 2009.