An eye-shaped segmented (ESS) antenna is presented for ultra-high frequency (UHF) near-field radio frequency identification (RFID) applications. The proposed antenna shows in-phase current even though the perimeter of the eye-shaped loop is comparable to the operating wavelength. The ESS antenna is fabricated on a FR4 printed circuit board (PCB) and embedded in a metal cavity with an overall size of 250×180×50 mm3. The measured bandwidth is around 11MHz (860-871 MHz) under the condition of VSWR less than 2.0, which covers the Europe standard (865MHz-868MHz) and agrees well with the simulated results. Finally, as a reader antenna in the RFID system, the measured read distance and read width can achieve 16.1 cm and 8 cm, respectively. The ESS antenna is desirable for UHF near-field RFID reader applications.
2. , , "UHF Gen 2 for item-level tagging,", available at http://www.impinj.com/¯les/MR GP ED 00003 ILT.pdf.
3. , , "Item-level visibility in the pharmaceutical supply chain: A comparison of HF and UHF RFID technologies ,", available at http://www.tagsysrfid.com/content/download/, 290/2166/version /1/file/TAGSYS-TI-Philips-White-Paper.pdf.
4. Tan, M., et al., RFID Systems Technology and Application Guide, China Machine Press, Beijing, Apr. 2007.
5. Dobkin, D. M., "Segmented magnetic antennas for near-field UHF RFID," Microwave Journal, Vol. 5, No. 6, Jun. 2007.
6. Li, X., J. Liao, Y. Yuan, and D. Yu, "Segmented coupling eye-shape UHF band near field antenna design," APMC 2009, 2401-2404, Singapore, #1394, 2009.
7. Qian, X., C. K. Goh, and Z.-N. Chen, "Segmented loop antenna for UHF near-FIeld RFID applications," Electro. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 17, 872-873, Aug. 2009.
8. Li, X. and J. Gao, MW/RF Measurement Foundation, China Machine Press, Beijing, Jun. 2007.
9. Liao, J. and X. Li, "A low-cost impedance measurement method for UHF band RFID near field antenna," IEEE ICCTA 2009, 32-35, Beijing, Jun. 2007.
10. Xu, Z. and X. Li, "Aperture coupling two-layered dual-band RFID reader antenna design," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Apr. 2008.
11. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, H.-F. Jiang Tao, and L.-X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007.
12. Evizal, T. B. A. Rahman, S. K. B. A. Rahim, and M. F. Jamlos, "A multi band mini printed omni directional antenna with V-shaped for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 385-399, 2011.
13. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Effects of interferences in UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 425-443, 2009.
14. Mahmoud, K. R., "Design optimization of a bow-tie antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID readers using a hybrid Bso-Nm algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 105-117, 2010.
15. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, J. Chen, and X. Li, "A novel double-layer microstrip antenna array for UHF band RFID," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1479-1487, 2009.
16. Razalli, M. S., M. A. Mahdi, A. Ismail, S. M. Shafie, and H. Adam, "Design and development of wireless communication transceiver to support RFID reader at UHF RFID," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2063-2075, 2010.
17. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, Y.-C. Chu, and W.-S. Jhong, "A beam scanning phase array for UHF RFID readers with circularly polarized patches," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2383-2395, 2010.