A correlation spectroscopy (COSPEC) based on a multi-wavelength fiber laser is first proposed for the detection of gas concentration. The lasing wavelengths are selected to match several characteristic absorption peaks of the gas under test, and the gas concentration is easily measured by correlating it with the reference gas. The present method is immune from the instability of the light source and the influence of other gases. The concentration measurement of C2H2 is demonstrated in the experiment in its near-infrared dominant absorption region. The technique has prospects for simultaneous detection of multiple gases, and the measurement of mixed gases of C2H2 and CO2 is also analyzed.
2. Fu, X., C. Cui, and S. C. Chan, "Optically injected semiconductor laser for photonic microwave frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 849-860, 2010.
3. Yang, B., X. F. Jin, X. M. Zhang, H. Chi, and S. L. Zheng, "Photonic generation of 60 GHz millimeter-wave by frequency quadrupling based on a mode-locking soa fiber ring laser with a low modulation depth MZM," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1773-1782, 2010.
4. Bergamaschi, P., M. Schupp, and G. W. Harris, "High-precision direct measurements of 13CH4/12CH4 and 12CH3D/12CH4 ratios in atmospheric methane sources by means of a long-path tunable diode laser absorption spectrometer," Appl. Optics, Vol. 33, 7704-7716, 1994.
5. Roller, C., K. Namjou, J. D. Jeffers, M. Camp, A. Mock, P. J. McCann, and J. Grego, "Nitric oxide breath testing by tunable-diode laser absorption spectroscopy: Application in monitoring respiratory inflammation," Appl. Optics, Vol. 41, 6018-6029, 2002.
6. Guan, Z., M. Lewander, and S. Svanberg, "Quasi zero-background tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy employing a balanced Michelson interferometer," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 21714-21720, 2008.
7. Galais, A., G. Fortunato, and P. Chavel, "Gas concentration measurement by spectral correlation: Rejection of interferent species ," Appl. Optics, Vol. 24, 2127-2134, 1985.
8. Sandsten, J., H. Edner, and S. Svanberg, "Gas imaging by infrared gas-correlation spectrometry," Opt. Lett., Vol. 21, 1945-1947, 1996.
9. Reid, J., J. Shewchun, B. K. Garside, and E. A. Ballik, "High sensitivity pollution detection employing tunable diode lasers," Appl. Optics, Vol. 17, 300-307, 1978.
10. Somesfalean, G., M. SjÄoholm, L. Persson, H. Gao, T. Svensson, and S. Svanberg, "Temporal correlation scheme for spectroscopic gas analysis using multimode diode lasers ," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 86, 184102, 2005.
11. Lou, X. T., G. Somesfalean, F. Xu, Y. G. Zhang, and Z. G. Zhang, "Gas sensing by tunable multimode diode laser using correlation spectroscopy," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 93, 671-676, 2008.
12. Lou, X. T., G. Somesfalean, B. Chen, and Z. G. Zhang, "Oxygen measurement by multimode diode lasers employing gas correlation spectroscopy," Appl. Optics, Vol. 48, 990-997, 2009.
13. Zhang, Z. G., X. T. Lou, G. Somesfalean, B. Chen, Y. G. Zhang, H. Wang, S. Wu, and Y. Qin, "Simultaneous detection of multiple gas species by correlation spectroscopy using a multi-mode diode laser," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 1749-1751, 2010.
14. Macho, S., R. Boque, M. S. Larrechi, and F. X. Rius, "Multivariate determination of several compositional parameters related to the content of hydrocarbon in naphtha by MIR spectroscopy," Analyst, Vol. 124, 1827-1831, 1999.
15. Forina, M., S. Lanteri, M. C. Cerrato Oliveros, and C. Pizarro Millan, "Selection of useful predictors in multivariate calibration," Anal. Bioanal. Chem., Vol. 380, 397-418, 2004.
16. Barton, F. E., J. D. Bargeron, G. R. Gamble, D. L. Mcalister, and E. Hequet, "Analysis of Sticky Cotton by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy," Appl. Spectrosc., Vol. 59, 1388-1392, 2005.
17. Liau, J.-J., N.-H. Sun, S.-C. Lin, R.-Y. Ro, J.-S. Chiang, C.-L. Pan, and H.-W. Chang, "A new look at numerical analysis of uniform fiber bragg gratings using coupled mode theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 385-401, 2009.
18. Chen, B., S. L. Zheng, X. M. Zhang, X. F. Jin, and H. Chi, "Simultaneously realizing PM-IM conversion and e±ciency improvement of fiber-optic links using FBG," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 161-170, 2009.
19. Sandsten, J., P. Wiebring, H. Edner, and S. Svanberg, "Realtime radiation gas-correlation imaging employing thermal," Opt. Express, Vol. 6, 92-103, 2000.
20. Dakin, J. P., M. J. Gunning, P. Chambers, and Z. J. Xin, "Detection of gases by correlation spectroscopy," Sens. Actuators. B, Vol. 90, 124-131, 2003.
21. Ahmad, H., A. H. Sulaiman, S. Shahi, and S. W. Harun, "SOA-based multi-wavelength laser using fiber Bragg gratings," Laser Phys., Vol. 19, 1002-1005, 2009.
22. , , , http://www.camo.com/resources/principal-component-analysis.html.
23. , , , http://www.camo.com/resources/simca.html.
24. , , , http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/HITRAN/.
25. Chan, Y. K., M. Y. Chua, and V. C. Koo, "Sidelobes reduction using simple two and tri-stages non linear frequency modulation (NLFM) ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 33-52, 2009.