E®ective complex permittivity measurements of materials are important in microwave engineering and microwave chemistry. Artificial neural network (ANN) computational module has been used in microwave technology and becomes a useful tool recently. A neural network can be trained to learn the behavior of an effective permittivity of material under microwave irradiation in a test system, and it can provide a fast and accurate result for the permittivity measurement of material. Thus, an on-line measurement has been realized. This paper presents a simple and convenient reconstruction algorithm for determining the dielectric properties of materials. First, a measurement system is designed, and the reflection coefficient is calculated by employing full-wave simulations. Second, an artificial nerve network has been applied, and adequate simulated materials are utilized to train the networks. Last, the trained network is employed to reconstruct the effective permittivity of several organic solvents using the measured scattering parameters, and the reconstructed results for several organic solvents agree well with reference data and the relative errors between them are less than 5%.
2. Huang, K. and X. Yang, "A method for calculating the effective permittivity of a mixture solution during a chemical reaction by experimental results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 99-107, 2008.
3. Yan, L., K. Huang, and C. Liu, "A noninvasive method for determining dielectric properties of layered tissues on human back," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1829-1843, Oct. 2007.
4. Chen, L. F., et al., "Microwave Electronics: Measurement and Materials Characterization," John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, England, 2004.
5. Hasar, U. C. and E. A. Oral, "A metric function for fast and accurate permittivity determination of low-to-high-loss materials from reflection measurements ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 397-412, 2010.
6. Meng, B., J. Booske, and R. Cooper, "Extended cavity perturbation technique to determine the complex permittivity of dielectric materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 2633-2636, 1995.
7. Kaatze, U., "Techniques for measuring the microwave dielectric properites of materials," Metrologia, Vol. 47, No. 2, S91-S113, 2010.
8. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1096-1103, 1990.
9. Hasar, U. C., "Permittivity determination of fresh cement-based materials by an open-ended waveguide probe using amplitude-only measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 27-43, 2009.
10. Wang, Z., W. Che, and L. Zhou, "Uncertainty analysis of the rational function model used in the complex permittivity measurement of biological tissues using PMCT probes within a wide microwave frequency band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 137-150, 2009.
11. Hasar, U. C., "Thickness-independent automated constitutive parameters extraction of thin solid and liquid materials from waveguide measurements ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 17-32, 2009.
12. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "An improved method for microwave nonduetructive dielectric measurement of layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 145-161, 2008.
13. Le Floch, J. M., F. Houndonougbo, V. Madrangeas, D. Cros, M. Guilloux-Viry, and W. Peng, "Thin film materials characterization using TE modes," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 549-559, 2009.
14. Jin, H., S. R, Dong, and D. M. Wang, "Measurement of dielectric constant of thin film materials at microwave frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 809-817, 2009.
15. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008.
16. Hasar, U. C. and O. Simsek, "An accurate complex permittivity method for thin dielectric materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 123-138, 2009.
17. Hasar, U. C., "Microwave method for thickness-independent permittivity extraction of low-loss dielectric materials from transmission measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 453-467, 2010.
18. Kilic, E., F. Akleman, B. Esen, D. M. Ozaltin, O. Ozdemir, and A. Yapar, "3-D imaging of inhomogeneous materials loaded in a rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1290-1296, 2010.
19. Huang, K., X. Cao, C. Liu, and X.-B. Xu, "Measurement/computation of effective permittivity of dilute solution in saponification reaction," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2106-2111, 2003.
20. Luo, M., K. Huang, and T. Pu, "Measurement and prediction of dielectric for liquids based artificial nerve network," ICMMT 2010 Proceedings, 1083-1085, 2010.
21. Bartley, Jr., P. G., R. W. McClendon, and S. O. Nelson, Permittivity determination by using an artificial neural network, ICMMT 2010 Proceedings, 1083-1085, 2010.
22. Eves, E. E., P. Kopyt, and V. V. Yakovlev, "Determination of complex permittivity with neural networks and FDTD modeling," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 3, 183-188, 2004.
23. Xu, Z.-B., R. Zhang, and W.-F. Jing, "When does online BP training converge?," IEEE Transactions on Neural Network, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1529-1539, 2009.
24. Liu, L., J. Chen, and L. Xu, "Realization and application research of BP neural network based on MATLAB," 2008 International Seminar on Future Biomedical Information Engineering, 130-133, 2008.
25. Wang, S. and Y. Wang, The demarcating method of infrared image measuring temperature based on GA-BP network, 2010 International Conference on Computer and Communication Technologies in Agriculture Engineering, 2010.
26. Xuan, H. and M. He, "Study of detection technique simulation of high resolution radar based BP neural network," Third International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC2007), 2007.
27. Weckman, G. R., et al., "Using neural networks with limited data to estimate manufacturing cost," Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 4, 257-274, 2010.
28. Gorriti, A. G. and E. C. Slob, "A new tool for accurate s-parameters measurements and permittivity reconstruction," IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 8, 1727-1735, 2005.
29. Ogasawara, E., et al., "Adaptive normalization: A novel data normalization approach for non-stationary time series," Neural Networks (IJCNN), The 2010 International Joint Conference on Digital Object Identifier, 1-8, 2010.
30. Akdemir, B., et al., "Prediction of aortic diameter values in healthy turkish infants, children, and adolescents by using artificial neural network," Journal of Medical Systems, Vol. 33, No. 5, 379-388, 2009.
31. Sola, J. and J. Sevilla, "Importance of input data normalization for the application of neural networks to complex industrial problems ," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, Vol. 44, No. 3, 1464-1468, 1997.
32. Holloway, A. and T. Chen, "Neural networks for predicting the behavior of preconditioned iterative solvers," Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Computational Science, Beijing, China, May 2007.
33. EI-Bakry, H. M. and Q. Zhao, "Fast pattern detection using normalized neural networks and cross-correlation in the frequency domain," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 13, 2054-2060, 2005.
34. Zhang, Q. J. and K. C. Gupta, Neural Networks for RF and Microwave Design, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2000.
35. Wan, S. and L. E. Banta, "Parameter incremental learning algorithm for neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Neural Network, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1424-1438, 2006.
36. Engelbrecht, A. P. and R. Brits, A clustering approach to incremental learning for feedforward neural networks, Proc. Int. Joint Conf. Neural Netw., Vol. 3, 2019-2014, 2001.
37. Engekbrecht, A. P. and I. Cloete, "Incremental learing using sensitivity analysis," Proc. Int. Joint Conf. Neural Netw., 380, USA, 1999.
38. Wei, H., et al., "Study on the complex permittivity of common organic reagent at 2.45 GHz," Chemical Research and Application, Vol. 18, No. 10, 1232-1234, 2006.
39. Stogryn, A., "Equations for calculating the dielectric constant of saline water," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 19, No. 8, 733-736, 1971.