In this work, we theoretically investigate the tunable photonic band gap (PBG) in a semiconductor-dielectric photonic crystal made of highly doped n-type silicon (Si) layers alternating with silicon oxide layers. The tunable characteristic is studied by changing the donor impurity concentration in Si layer. The PBG is numerically analyzed in the near infrared frequency region from the reflectance calculated by the transfer matrix method. The effect of filling factor in Si layer on the photonic band gap is also illustrated. These tunable properties in such a photonic crystal provide some information that could be of technical use to the semiconductor optoelectronics, especially in communication applications.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered lattices,".
3. Yablonovitch, E., Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electronics, "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electronics,", Vol. 58, 2059-2062, 1987.
4. Li, H. and X. Yang, "Larger absolute band gaps in two-dimensional photonic crystals fabricated by a three-order-effect method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 385-400, 2010.
5. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010.
6. Wu, C.-J., J.-J. Liao, and T.-W. Chang, "Tunable multilayer Fabry-Perot resonator using electro-optical defect layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 531-542, 2010.
7. Rahimi, H., A. Namdar, S. Roshan Entezar, and H. Tajalli, "Photonic transmission spectra in one-dimensional fibonacci multilayer structures containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 15-30, 2010.
8. Chen, D., M.-L. Vincent Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Optical properties of photonic crystal fibers with a fiber core of arrays of subwavelength circular air holes: Birefringence and dispersion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 193-212, 2010.
9. Nozhat, N. and N. Granpayeh, "Specialty fibers designed by photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 225-244, 2009.
10. Shi, Y., "A compact polarization beam splitter based on a multimode photonic crystal waveguide with an internal photonic crystal section ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 393-401, 2010.
11. Bermann, O. L., Y. E. Lozovik, S. L. Eiderman, and R. D. Coalson, "Superconducting photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 092505, 2006.
12. Takeda, H. and K. Yoshino, "Tunable photonic band schemes in two-dimensional photonic crystals composed of copper oxide high-temperature superconductors," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, 245109, 2005.
13. Wu, C.-J., M.-S. Chen, and T.-J. Yang, "Photonic band structure for a superconducting-dielectric superlattice," Physica C, Vol. 432, 133-139, 2005.
14. Wu, C.-J., "Transmission and reflection in a periodic supercon-ductor/dielectric film multilayer structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 1991-1996, 2005.
15. Wu, C.-J., C.-L. Liu, and W.-K. Kuo, "Analysis of thickness-Analysis of thicknessing photonic crystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1113-1122, 2009.
16. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Terahertz multichanneled filter in a superconducting photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 27155-27166, 2010.
17. Anlage, S. M., "The physics and applications of superconducting metamaterials ," J. Optics, Vol. 13, 024001, 2011.
18. Lyubchanskii, I. L., N. N. Dadoenkova, A. E. Zabolotin, Y. P. Lee and T. Rasing, "A one-dimensional photonic crystal with a superconducting defect layer," J. Optics A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114014, 2009.
19. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010.
20. McPhail, D., M. Straub, and M. Gu, "Optical tuning of three-dimensional photonic crystals fabricated by femtosecond direct writing," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 87, 091117, 2005.
21. Halevi, P., J. A. Reyes-Avendano, and J. A. Reyes-Cervantes, "Electrically tuned phase transition and band structure in a liquid-crystal-in¯lled photonic crystal," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 73, R040701, 2006.
22. Qi, L.-M. and Z. Yang, "Modified plane wave method analysis of dielectric plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 319-332, 2009.
23. Tian, H. and J. Zi, "One-dimensional tunable photonic crystals by means of external magnetic fields," Optics Commun., Vol. 252, 321-328, 2005.
24. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of lorentz/drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009.
25. Inoue, M., R. Fujikawa, A. Baryshev, A. Khanikaev, P. B. Lim, H. Uchida, O. Aktsipetrov, A. Fedyanin, T. Murzina, and A. Granovsky, "Magnetophotonic crystals," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 39, R151-R161, 2006.
26. Lyubchanskii, I. L., N. N. Dadoenkova, M. I. Lyubchanskii, E. A. Shapovalov, and T. Rasing, "Magnetic photonic crystals," J. Phys. D:Appl. Phys., Vol. 36, R227-R287, 2003.
27. Fu, X., C. Cui, and S. C. Chan, "Optically injected semiconductor laser for photonic microwave frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 849-960, 2010.
28. Mustafa, F. and A. M. Hashim, "Properties of electromagnetic ¯elds and e®ective permittivity excited by drifting plasma waves in semiconductor-insulator interface structure and equivalent transmission line technique for multi-layered structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 403-425, 2010.
29. Figotin tunable photonic crystals, F., Y. A. Godin, and I. Vitebsky, "Two-dimensional tunable photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 57, 2841-2848, 1998.
30. Golosovsky, M., Y. Saado, and D. Davidov, "Self-assembly of °oating magnetic particles into ordered structures: A promising route for the fabrication of tunable photonic band gap materials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 75, 4168-4170, 1999.
31. Kee, C.-S., J. E. Kim, H. Y. Park, and H. Lim, "Two-dimensional tunable magnetic photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 61, 15523-15525, 2000.
32. Galindo-Linares, E., P. Halevi, and A. S. Sanchez, "Tuning of one-dimensional Si/SiO2 photonic crystals at the wavelength of 1.54 mm," Solid State Commun., Vol. 142, 67-70, 2007.
33. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
34. Kumar, V., K. S. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhanced omni-directional re°ection frequency range in Si-based one dimensional photonic crystal with defect," Optik, 2010.