Planar microstrip filters are designed to have a quasi-elliptic function passband and extended upper stopband with a rejection level of 40 or 50 dB. The design employs stepped-impedance resonators in a compact 2×2 cross coupled configuration. The geometric parameters of the resonators are planned to shift the third resonance as high as possible, and then the transmission zeros created by the structure are devised to suppress the second resonance, so that a wide upper stopband up to more than 4.5 times the passband frequency can be achieved. By employing the skew-symmetric input/output feeds, three transmission zeros in the frequency band of interest can be created. The leading two zeros are allocated on the both sides of the passband, generating a quasi-elliptic function response with enhanced roll-off rate in the transition bands, and the last zero incorporating with a zero created by anti-coupled-line at higher frequencies are employed to extend the rejection bandwidth. The measurement data agree very well with the simulation responses.
2. Kuo, J.-T. and M.-H. Wu, "Corrugated parallel-coupled line bandpass filters with multispurious suppression," IET --- Microwaves, Antennas, and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 718-722, Jun. 2007.
3. Kuo, J.-T., S.-P. Chen, and M. Jiang, "Parallel-coupled microstrip filters with over-coupled end stages for suppression of spurious responses," IEEE Micow. Wirelss Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 10, 440-442, Oct. 2003.
4. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-P. Lin, "Dual-band bandpass filter with improved performance in extended upper rejection band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 824-829, Apr. 2009.
5. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped-impedance resonator bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1554-1559, May 2003.
6. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Design of a bandpass filter using stepped-impedance resonators with floating conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 31-48, 2010.
7. Chen, C.-F., T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with multiorder spurious-mode suppression," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3788-3793, Dec. 2005.
8. Lin, S. C., P.-H. Deng, Y.-S. Lin, C.-H. Wang, and C.-H. Chen, "Wide-stopband microstrip bandpass filters using dissimilar quarter-wavelength stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1011-1018, Mar. 2006.
9. Tang, C.-W. and H.-H. Liang, "Parallel-coupled stacked SIRs bandpass filters with open-loop resonators for suppression of spurious responses," IEEE Micow. Wirelss Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 802-804, Nov. 2005.
10. U-yen, K., E. J. Wollack, T. A. Doiron, J. Papapolymerou, and J. Laskar, "A planar bandpass filter design with wide stopband using double split-end stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1237-1244, Mar. 2006.
11. Wu, H.-W., S.-K. Liu, M.-H. Weng, and C.-H. Hung, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with multispurious suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 21-30, 2010.
12. Dai, G.-L. and M.-Y. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010.
13. Wen, S. and L. Zhu, "Numerical synthesis design of coupled resonator filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 333-346, 2009.
14. Huang, C.-Y., M.-H. Weng, C.-S. Ye, and Y.-X. Xu, "A high band isolation and wide stopband diplexer using dual-mode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 299-308, 2010.
15. Zhang, L., Z.-Y. Yu, and S.-G. Mo, "Novel planar multimode bandpass filters with radial-line stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 33-42, 2010.
16. Mo, S.-G., Z.-Y. Yu, and L. Zhang, "Design of triple-mode bandpass filter using improved hexagonal loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 117-125, 2009.
17. Kuo, J.-T., M.-J. Maa, and P.-H. Lu, "A microstrip elliptical function filter with compact miniaturized hairpin resonators," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 3, 94-95, Mar. 2000.
18. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a 0º feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2362-2367, Oct. 200.
19. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and H.-M. Lee, "Transmission-line filters with capacitively loaded coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1517-1524, May 2003.
20. IE3D simulator, , Zeland Software Inc., Jan. 2002.