The dielectric pyramid loaded and the dielectric cone loaded diagonal horn working at 150 GHz are investigated by using Gaussian beam mode analysis. With extremely low cross-polarized and axially symmetrical field distribution in the horn aperture, the calculated fundamental Gaussian mode coupling achieves about 98%. The far field radiation patterns of the two antennas are analyzed using fundamental Gaussian mode aperture-field distribution model whose results agree with high-accuracy CSTTM software computations, indicating that the dielectric loaded horns radiate fine Gaussian beams. The dielectric loaded geometry may be used to modify the diagonal horns with distorted beam.
2. Olver, A. D., P. J. B. Clarricoats, and K. Raghavan, "Dielectric cone loaded horn antennas," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, No. 3, 158-162, 1988.
3. Martin, A. G., "Symmetrical low cross-polar radiation from a dielectric sphere loaded horn," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 6, 862-863, 1979.
4. Chung, J. Y., "Ultra-wideband dielectric-loaded horn antenna with dual-linear polarization capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 397-411, 2010.
5. Johansson, J. F. and N. D. Whyborn, "The diagonal horn as a sub-millimeter wave antenna," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 5, 795-800, 1992.
6. Goldsmith, P. F., Quasioptical Systems, IEEE Press, New York, 1998.
7. Noor Amin, A. S., M. Mirhosseini, and M. Shahabadi, "Modal analysis of multilayer conical dielectric waveguides for azimuthal invariant modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 213-229, 2010.
8. Chang, H.-W. and Y.-H. Wu, "Analysis of perpendicular crossing dielectric waveguides with various typical index contrasts and intersection profiles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 323-341, 2010.
9. Choudhury, P. K., "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010.
10. Chang, H.-W., Y.-H. Wu, S.-M. Lu, W.-C. Cheng, and M.-H. Sheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based --- Numerical investigation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 159-176, 2009.
11. Siong, C. C. and P. K. Choudhury, "Propagation characteristics of tapered core helical cald dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 663-674, 2009.
12. Zhang, X. F., L. F. Shen, J.-J. Wu, and T.-J. Yang, "Backward guiding of terahertz radiation in periodic dielectric waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 557-564, 2010.
14. Karpowicz, N., et al., "Continuous-wave terahertz imaging for non-destructive testing applications," The Joint 30th International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 13th International Conference on Terahertz Electron, Vol. 1, 329-330, 2005.
15. Cooper, K. B., et al., "Concealed object contrast enhancement using radar methods in a submillimeter-wave active imager," 33rd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, IRMMW-THz 2008, 1-2, 2008.
16. Tiwari, V. N., T. Tiwari, S. P. Singh, and R. K. Jha, "Near field distribution of solid dielectric diagonal horn antennas," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 82, No. 2, 167-174, 1997.
17. Tiwari, V. N. and T. Tiwari, "Study of dielectric diagonal horn antenna," International Conference on Microwave, 657-660, 2008.
18. Shen, T., Z. Sun, and W. Dou, "The hexagonal horn as an efficient Gaussian beam launcher," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 7, 1173-1178, 1997.
19. Lin, X. Q., T. J. Cui, Y. Fan, and X. Liu, "Frequency selective surface designed using electric resonant structures in terahertz frequency bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 21-29, 2009.
20. Marcatili, E. A. J., "Dielectric rectangular waveguide and directional coupler for integrated optics," Bell Systems Technical Journal, Vol. 48, No. 21, 2071-2102, 1969.
21. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Revised edition, Wiley-Interscience, New Jersey, 2003.
22. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, Wiley-Interscienc, New Jersey, 2005.
23. Zhao, X.-W., Y. Zhang, H.-W. Zhang, D. G. Donoro, S.-W. Ting, T. K. Sarkar, and C.-H. Liang, "Parallel MOM-PO method with out-of-core technique for analysis of complex arrays on electrically large platforms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 1-21, 2010.
24. Thakur, J. P., W. G. Kim, and Y. H. Kim, "Large aperture low aberration aspheric dielectric lens antenna for W-band quasioptics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 57-65, 2010.