This paper focuses on the noise and vibrations of induction motors. It proposes an analytical method to distinguish the phenomenon responsible on the magnetic noise, especially the toothing and the saturation. A 3-speed 3-phase induction motor, which works sporadically at low speed for hoisting, serve as a support for experiments. Its acoustic noise during this operating mode is really important. A complete diagnosis is proposed with a 2D analytical model. The approach is progressive and it shows analytically that magnetic saturation is mainly responsible on these noise level. Then, the presented developments makes it possible to identify, in simple way, the noise components due to the both magnetic saturation and toothing effects.
2. Le Besnerais, J., V. Lanfranchi, M. Hecquet, G. Lemaire, E. Augis, and P. Brochet, "Characterization and reduction of magnetic noise due to saturation in induction machines," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 45, No. 4, 2003-2008, 2009.
3. Mauduit, A., Machines Electriques, Tome II, Paris, 1931.
4. Cassoret, B, R. Corton, R. Roger, and J. F. Brudny, "Magnetic noise reduction of induction motors," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 2, 570-579, 2003.
5. Jordan, H., Geruscharme Elektromotoren, W. Girardet, Essen, 1950.
6. Mininger, E., E. Lefeuvre, M. Gabsi, C. Richard, and D. Guyomar, "Semiactive and active piezoelectric vibration controls for switched reluctance machine," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 1, 78-85, 2008.
7. Alger, P. L., "The magnetic noise of polyphase induction motors," IEEE Trans. Amer., Vol. 73, No. 3, 118-125, 1954.
8. Brudny, J. F., "Modelling of induction machine slotting resonance phenomenon," European Physical Journal, Applied Physic., JPIII, 1009-1023, 1997.
9. Hubert, A. and G. Friedrich, "Influence of the power converter on induction motor acoustic noise interaction between the control strategy and the mechanical structure," IEE Proc. --- Electr. Appl. , Vol. 1459, No. 2, 93-100, 2002.
10. Ostovic, V. and G. Boman, "Radial air gap force as a source of audible noise in a sinusoidally fed induction motor," Conference Record of the 1995 IEEE Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 1, 591-598, 1995.
11. Huang, K. S., Z. G. Liu, Li, H., J. Yang, D. R. Turner, L. Jiang, and Q. H. Wu, "Reduction of electromagnetic noise in three-phase induction motors," International Conference on Power System Technology Proceedings (PowerCon), Vol. 2, 745-749, 2002.
12. Lecointe, J. P., R. Romary, J. F. Brudny, and T. Czapla, "Five methods of stator natural frequency determination," Mechanical Systems and Signals Processing, Vol. 18, 1133-1159, 2004.
13. Lecointe, J. P., S. Duchesne, J. F. Brudny, and J. Y. Roger, "Retro-design of turbogenerators. Part 2: determination of the stator geometry," Electric Machines and Drives Conference, Vol. 2, 1008-1013, 2007.