A circular waveguide loaded with dielectric and metal discs was chosen to evaluate its dispersion characteristics and dispersion shaping with change of structure parameters for wideband coalescence of beam- and waveguide-mode dispersion characteristics for wideband gyro-TWT performance. The azimuthally symmetric TE-mode analysis of the structure was carried out in field matching technique by considering the propagating wave in cylindrical free-space region having radius equal to the hole-radius of metal disc, and the stationary waves in free-space and dielectric regions between two consecutive metal discs. The dispersion relation and, in accordance, a computer code were developed. Further, the roots of the dispersion relation for various sets of the structure parameters were obtained using the developed computer code; the dispersion characteristics were plotted; and the dispersion shaping was projected for typically chosen TE01-, TE02- and TE03-modes. The analytical results were validated against those obtained for the conventional and earlier published structures, and also those obtained using commercially available simulation tool. Finally, a study on azimuthal electric field available over the radial coordinate was carried out to show the control of structure parameter on the gyrating electron beam position for the chosen operating mode of a dielectric and metal discs loaded gyro-TWT.
2. Wu, C.-J., Y.-H. Chung, B.-J. Syu, and T.-J. Yang, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010.
3. Lin, H.-N. and C.-C. Tang, "Analysis and design for high-gain antenna with periodic structures," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 181-184, 2010.
4. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and Z. Zhang, "A novel multi-band electromagnetic band-gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 67-74, 2009.
5. Escorcia-García, J. and M. E. M. Mora-Ramos, "Study of optical propagation in hybrid periodic/quasiregular structures based on porous silicon," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 2, 167-170, 2009.
6. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010.
7. Yang, M., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, and G. Li, "Compact, broad-stopband lowpass filters using sirs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010.
8. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010.
9. Amari, S., R. Vahldieck, J. Bornemann, and P. Leuchtmann, "Spectrum of corrugated and periodically loaded waveguides from classical matrix eigenvalues," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 453-460, 2000.
10. Amari, S., R. Vahldieck, and J. Bornemann, "Analysis of propagation in periodically loaded circular waveguide," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 1, 50-54, 1999.
11. Clarricoats, P. J. B. and A. D. Olver, Corrugated Horns for Microwave Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1984.
12. Heydari, R. D., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "A new 2-18 GHz quad-ridged horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 183-195, 2008.
13. Uher, J., J. Bornemann, and U. Rosenberg, Waveguides Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Artech House, Norwood, 1993.
14. Shi, W., L. Yuzheng, and T. Higo, "A new method for dispersion curves of HOM in periodical axisymmetric accelerating structures," Proc. 2nd Asian Particle Accelerator Conf., 153-155, Beijing, China, 2001.
15. Hu, Y., C. Tang, H. Chen, Y. Lin, and D. Tong, "An X-band disk and washer accelerating structure for electron accelerators," Proc. Particle Accelerator Conf., 975-977, Chicago, 2001.
16. Amin, M. R. and K. Ogura, "Dispersion characteristics of a rectangularly corrugated cylindrical slow-wave structure driven by a non-relativistic annular electron beam," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 575-579, 2007.
17. Ding, S., B. Jia, F. Li, and Z. Zhu, "3D simulation of 18-vane 5.8 GHz magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1925-1930, 2008.
18. Malek, F., "The analytical design of a folded waveguide traveling wave tube and small signal gain analysis using Madey's theorem," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 137-162, 2009.
19. Mulcahy, T., H. Song, and F. Francisco, "New method of integrating periodic permanent magnet (PPM) assembly in traveling wave tubes (TWTs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 187-199, 2009.
20. Jain, P. K. and B. N. Basu, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through helical structures," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconventional Materials, O. N. Singh and A. Lakhtakia, Ed., John Wiley & Sons, USA, 2000.
21. Zhu, Z. J., B. F. Jia, and D. M. Wan, "Efficiency improvement of helix traveling-wave tube," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1747-1756, 2008.
22. Duan, Z. Y., Y. B. Gong, Y. Y. Wei, W. X. Wang, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Efficiency improvement of broadband helix traveling wave tubes using hybrid phase velocity tapering model," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 7, 1013-1023, 2008.
23. Jerby, E. and G. Bekefi, "Cyclotron maser experiments in a periodic wave guide," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 48, No. 6, 4637-4641, 1993.
24. Chu, K. R., "The electron cyclotron maser," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 76, No. 2, 489-540, May 2004.
25. Barroso, J. J., R. A. Correa, and P. J. de Castro, "Gyrotron coaxial cylindrical resonators with corrugated inner conductor: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1221-1230, Sep. 1998.
26. Iatrou, C. T., S. Kern, and A. B. Pavelyev, "Coaxial cavities with corrugated inner conductor for gyrotrons," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 1, 56-64, Jan. 1996.
27. Thumm, M., "State-of-the-art of high-power gyro-devices and free electron masers, Update 2008,", Scientific Report FZKA 6224, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany, Jan. 2008.
28. Singh, G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro-traveling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008.
29. Qiu, C. R., Z. B. Ouyang, S. C. Zhang, H. B. Zhang, and J. B. Jin, "Self-consistent nonlinear investigation of an outer-slotted-coaxial waveguide gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 3, 1013-1018, Jun. 2005.
30. Kesari, V., Analysis of Disc-loaded Circular Waveguides for Wideband Gyro-TWTs, LAP-Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co., Germany, 2009, ISBN: 978-3-8383-1145-6.
31. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analytical approaches to a disc loaded cylindrical waveguide for potential application in wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 32, No. 5, 2144-2151, Oct. 2004.
32. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with thick annular metal discs for wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 4, 1358-1365, Aug. 2005.
33. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a disc-loaded circular waveguide for interaction impedance of a gyrotron amplifier," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 8, 1093-1110, Aug. 2005.
34. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Modeling of axially periodic circular waveguide with combined dielectric and metal loading," J. Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, 3523-3529, Sep. 2005.
35. Kesari, V., "Beam-absent analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-1)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 211-227, 2010.
36. Kesari, V., "Beam-present analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-2)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 229-243, 2010.
37. Choe, J. Y. and H. S. Uhm, "Theory of gyrotron amplifiers in disc or helix loaded waveguides," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 6, 729-741, Jun. 1982.
38. Leou, K. C., T. Pi, D. B. Mcdermott, and Jr. N. C. Luhmann, "Circuit design for a wideband disc loaded gyro-TWT amplifier," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sc., Vol. 26, No. 3, 488-495, Jun. 1998.
39. Yue, L., W. Wang, Y. Wei, and Y. Gong, "Approach to a coaxial arbitrary-shaped groove cylindrical waveguide for application in wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sc., Vol. 35, No. 3, 551-558, Jun. 2007.
40. Bratman, V. L., A. W. Gross, G. G. Denisov, W. He, A. D. R. Phelps, K. Ronald, S. V. Samsonov, C. G. Whyte, and A. R. Young, "High-gain wide-band gyrotron traveling wave amplifier with a helically corrugated waveguide," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 12, 2746-2749, Mar. 2000.
41. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Broadbanding of gyro-TWT by dielectric-loading through dispersion shaping," IEEE Trans. Electron Dev., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2290-2299, Dec. 1996.
42. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Hybrid-mode helix-loading effects on gyro-travelling-wave tubes," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 82, No. 6, 663-675, Jun. 1997.