This paper presents a system with experimental complement to a simulation work for early breast tumor detection. The experiments are conducted using commercial Ultrawide-Band (UWB) transceivers, Neural Network (NN) based Pattern Recognition (PR) software for imaging and proposed breast phantoms for homogenous and heterogeneous tissues. The proposed breast phantoms (homogeneous and heterogeneous) and tumor are constructed using available low cost materials and their mixtures with minimal effort. A specific glass is used as skin. All the materials and their mixtures are considered according to the ratio of the dielectric properties of the breast tissues. Experiments to detect tumor are performed in regular noisy room environment. The UWB signals are transmitted from one side of the breast phantom (for both cases) and received from opposite side diagonally repeatedly. Using discrete cosine transform (DCT) of these received signals, a Neural Network (NN) module is developed, trained and tested. The tumor existence, size and location detection rates for both cases are highly satisfactory, which are approximately: (i) 100%, 95.8% and 94.3% for homogeneous and (ii) 100%, 93.4% and 93.1% for heterogeneous cases respectively. This gives assurance of early detection and the practical usefulness of the developed system in near future.
2. Lim, H. B., N. T. Nhung, E. Li, and N. D. Thang, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: Delay-multiply-and-sum image reconstruction algorithm," IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1697-1704, 2008.
3. Fear, E. C., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and M. A. Stuchly, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast tumor detection: Localization of tumors in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 49, No. 8, 812-822, 2002.
4. Fear, E. C., J. Still, and M. A. Stuchly, "Experimental feasibility study of confocal microwave imaging for breast tumor detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 3, 887-897, March 2003.
5. Li, X., S. K. Davis, S. C. Hagness, D. W. Weide, and B. D. Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beam forming: Experimental investigation of tumor detection in multilayer breast phantoms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1856-1865, 2004.
6. Xiao, X., "Study on the breast cancer detection by UWB microwave imaging," Proceedings of the International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT2008, Nanjing, China, April 21-24, 2008.
7. Sill, J. M. and E. C. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection-experimental investigation of simple tumor models," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3312-3319, 2005.
8. Alshehri, S. A. and S. Khatun, "UWB imaging for breast cancer detection using neural networks," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 7, 79-93, 2009.
9. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Performance and robustness of a multistatic MIST beamforming algorithm for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 105, 403-424, 2010.
10. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 107, 203-217, 2010.
11. Byrne, D., M. O'Halloran, E. Jones, and M. Glavin, "Transmitter-grouping robust capon beamforming for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 108, 401-416, 2010.
12. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Wavelet-based breast tumor localization technique using a UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 98, 75-95, 2009.
13. Sha, L., E. R. Ward, and B. Story, "A review of dielectric properties of normal and malignant breast tissue," Proceedings IEEE SoutheastCon, 457-462, April 5-7, 2002.
14. Byrne, D., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Data independent radar beamforming algorithms for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 107, 331-348, 2010.
15. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Channel-ranked beamformer for the early detection of breast cancer," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 103, 153-168, 2010.
16. Klemm, M., I. Craddock, J. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array --- Experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 1692-1704, 2009.
17. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Simulated and experimental investigation of microwave imaging using UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 263-280, 2009.
18. Lai, J. C., C. B. Soh, E. Gunawan, and K. S. Low, "Homogeneous and heterogeneous breast phantom for ultra-wideband microwave imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 100, 377-415, 2010.
19. Lazebnik, M., E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, and S. C. Hagness, "Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultrawideband microwave application," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 50, 4245-4258, August 2005.
20. Time Domain Corporation, Comings Research Park, 330 Wynn Drive, Suite 300, Hantsville, Al 35805, USA.
21. Miyakawa, M., T. Ishida, and M. Wantanabe, "Imaging capability of an early stage breast tumor by CP-MCT," Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Vol. 1, 1427-1430, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 1-5, 2004.
22. Lazebnik, M., et al., "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 52, 6093-6115, IOP Publishing, October 2007.
23. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, V. Hamsakkutty, D. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microwave characterization of breast-phantom materials," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 6, 506-508, December 2004.
24. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Effects of fibroglandular tissue distribution on data-independent beamforming algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 97, 141-158, 2009.
25. Lazebnik, M., et al., "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal breast tissues obtained from reduction surgeries," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 52, 2637-2656, IOP Publishing, April 2007.
26. Dielectric Constants of Common Materials http: //www.flowmeterdirectory.com/dielectric constant 01.html.
27. Conceicao, R. C., M. O'Halloran, E. Jones and M. Glavin, "Investigation of classifiers for early-stage breast cancer based on radar target signatures," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 105, 295-311, 2010.
28. Conceicao, R. C., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Comparison of planar and circular antenna configurations for breast cancer detection using microwave imaging," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 99, 1-20, 2009.
29. Ahmed, N., T. Natarajan, and K. R. Rao, "Discrete cosine transform," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 32, 90-93, January 1974.