In this work, magnetic metallic cobalt nanoparticles with an average particle size of 28 nm were processed as a dry powder with surface coating material and other organic additives to form a screen-printable ink to be cured at 110 °C. EFTEM and TGA-DSCMS-analyses were used to measure the thickness of the polymer, its coverage on cobalt nanoparticles and the inorganic solid content of the ink. The resolution of the printed patterns and the print quality were evaluated by surface profiler, FESEM and optical microscopy. The relative permeability of the thick film patterns with good printability was measured with a shorted microstrip structure over the frequency range of 0.2 to 4 GHz and complex permeability values were calculated from measured scattering parameter data. The ink attained real part of complex permeability values of up to 5.13 at 200 MHz with 70 wt.% of magnetic filler. The developed ink can be utilized in various printed electronics applications such as antenna substrates and magnetic sensors.
2. Castro-Vilaro, A. M. and R. A. R. Solis, "Tunable folded-slot antenna with thin film ferroelectric material," Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 549-552, 2003.
3. Scheele, P., S. Muller, C. Weil, and R. Jakoby, "Phase-shifting coplanar stubline-filter on ferroelectric-thick film," Proceedings of the 34th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 1501-1504, 2004.
4. Yeo, K. S. K., W. Hu, M. J. Lancaster, B. Su, and T. W. Button, "Thick film ferroelectric phase shifters using screen printing technology," Proceedings of the 34th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 1489-1492, 2004.
5. Suganuma, K., D. Wakuda, M. Hatamura, and K. S. Kim, "Ink jet printing of nano materials and processes for electronics applications," Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Density Packaging and Microsystem Integration, 1-4, 2007.
6. Kulkarnia, D. C., U. B. Lonkarb, and V. Puria, "High-frequency permeability and permittivity of NixZn(1-x)Fe2O4 thick film," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 320, 1844-1848, 2008.
7. Yang, G. M., A. Daigle, M. Liu, O. Obi, S. Stoute, K. Naish-adham, and N. X. Sun, "Planar circular loop antennas with self-biased magnetic film loading," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 332-333, 2008.
8. Lan, Q., C. Liu, F. Yang, S. Liu, J. Xu, and D. Sun, "Synthesis of bilayer oleic acid-coated Fe3O4 nanoparticles and their application in pH-responsive Pickering emulsions," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 310, 260-269, 2007.
9. Chechik, V. and R. M. Crooks, "Monolayers of thiol-terminated dendrimers on the surface of planar and colloidial gold," Langmuire, Vol. 15, 6364-6369, 1999.
10. Papirer, E., E. Walter, A. Vidal, and B. Siffert, "Adsorption of stearic acid and diethyl hexyl phosphate on magnetic metallic iron pigments: Electricla curface charging and absorption competition," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 187, 529-538, 1997.
11. Papirer, E., E. Walter, A. Vidal, B. Siffert, and H. Jakusch, "Preparation of magnetic inks: Adsorption of macromolecular dispersion agents on magnetic metallic iron pigments and electrical charge formation," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 193, 291-299, 1997.
12. Parvina, S., J. Matsuia, E. Satoa, and T. Miyashita, "Side-chain effect on Langmuir and Langmuir-Blodgett film properties of poly (N-alkylmethacrylamide)-coated magnetic nanoparticle," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 313, 128-134, 2007.
13. Sailer, R. A. and M. D. Soucek, "Investigation of cobalt drier retardation," European Polymer Journal, Vol. 36, 803-811, 2000.
14. Wu, Y., Z.-X. Tang, Y. Xu, and B. Zhang, "Measure the complex permeability of ferromagnetic thin films: Comparison shorted microstrip method with micro strip transmission method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 11, 173-181, 2009.
15. Liu, Y., L. Chen, C. Y. Tan, H. J. Liu, and C. K. Ong, "Broadband complex permeability characterization of magnetic thin films using shorted microstrip transmission-line perturbation," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 76, 063911.1-063911.8, 2005.
16. Wu, Y., Z.-X. Tang, Y. Xu, B. Zhang, and X. He, "Measuring complex permeability of ferromagnetic thin film upto 10 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 9, 139-145, 2009.
17. Wu, Y., Z.-X. Tang, Y. Xu, B. Zhang, and X. He, "A new shorted microstrip method to determine the complex permeability of thin films," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, 886-888, 2010.
18. De Cos, D., A. Garcia-Arribas, and J. M. Barandiaran, "Ferromagnetic resonance in gigahertz magneto-impedance of multilayer systems," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 304, 218-221, 2006.
19. Svacina, J., "A simple quasi-static determination of basic parameters of multilayer microstrip and coplanar waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, 385-387, 1992.