The forward problem of calculating the electromagnetic (EM) field of a circular current loop in presence of a layered earth structure, given the geometrical and EM parameters of the layers, is solved fast. Efficient computation is obtained through a quasi-analytical procedure that allows to transform the field integrals into expressions involving only a known Sommerfeld Integral. The final explicit forms of the fields are in terms of modified Bessel functions. To validate the method, the magnitudes of the EM field components versus induction number and versus frequency are calculated assuming two- and three-layer earth models. The achieved results are in good agreement with the ones provided by the commonly used digital filter algorithms. The computational time taken by the application of this technique is shown to be much less than that required by both digital filters and other recently developed integration techniques for similar problems. This paper is an extension of an earlier conference paper.
2. Zhdanov, M. S., Geophysical Electromagnetic Theory and Methods, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2009.
3. Singh, N. P. and T. Mogi, "EMLCLLER-A program for computing the EM response of a large loop source over a layered earth model," Computer and Geosciences, Vol. 29, No. 10, 1301-1307, 2003.
4. Kong, F. N., S. E. Johnstad, and J. Park, "Wavenumber of the guided wave supported by a thin resistive layer in marine controlled-source electromagnetics," Geophysical Prospecting, Vol. 29, No. 10, 1301-1307, 2003.
5. Shastri, N. L. and H. P. Patra, "Multifrequency sounding results of laboratory simulated homogeneous and two-Layer earth models," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 6, 749-752, 1988.
6. Kong, J. A., L. Tsang, and G. Simmons, "Geophysical subsurface probing with radio-frequency interferometry," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 22, No. 4, 616-620, 1974.
7. Singh, N. P. and T. Mogi, "Inversion of large loop transient electromagnetic data over layered earth models," Jour. Fac. Sci. Hokkaido Univ. Ser. VII, Vol. 12, No. 1, 41-54, 2003.
8. Farquharson, C. G., D. W. Oldenburg, and P. S. Routh, "Simultaneous 1D inversion of loop-loop electromagnetic data for magnetic susceptibility and electrical conductivity," Geophysics, Vol. 68, No. 6, 1857-1869, 2003.
9. Wait, J. R., "Mutual electromagnetic coupling of loops over a homogeneous ground," Geophysics, Vol. 20, No. 3, 630-637, 1955.
10. Constable, S. C., R. L. Parker, and C. G. Constable, "Occams inversion: A practical algorithm for generatlng smooth models from electromagnetic sounding data," Geophysics, Vol. 52, No. 3, 289-300, 1987.
11. Beard, L. P. and J. E. Nyquist, "Simultaneous inversion of airborne electromagnetic data for resistivity and magnetic permeability," Geophysics, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1556-1564, 1998.
12. Singh, N. P. and T. Mogi, "Electromagnetic response of a large circular loop source on a layered earth: A new computation method," Pure and Applied Geophysics, Vol. 162, No. 1, 181-200, 2005.
13. Guptasarma, D. and B. Singh, "New digital linear filters for Hankel J0 and J1 transforms," Geophysical Prospecting, Vol. 45, No. 5, 745-762, 1997.
14. Kong, F. N., "Hankel transform filters for dipole antenna radiation in a conductive medium," Geophysical Prospecting, Vol. 55, No. 1, 83-89, 2007.
15. Parise, M. and S. Cristina, "High-order electromagnetic modeling of shortwave inductive diathermy effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 235-253, 2009.
16. Alpak, F. O. and C. Torres-Verdin, "Data-adaptive resolution method for the parametric three-dimensional inversion of triaxial borehole electromagnetic measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 93-111, 2010.
17. Soleimani, M., "Simultaneous reconstruction of permeability and conductivity in magnetic induction tomography," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 785-798, 2009.
18. Prasad, R., R. Kumar, and D. Singh, "A radial basis function approach to retrieve soil moisture and crop variables from x-band scatterometer observations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 201-217, 2009.
19. Nordebo, S. and M. Gustafsson, "A priori modeling for gradient based inverse scattering algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 407-432, 2009.
20. Caramanica, F. and G. Oliveri, "An innovative multi-source strategy for enhancing the reconstruction capabilities of inverse scattering techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 349-374, 2010.
21. Goharian, M., M. Soleimani, and G. R. Moran, "A trust region subproblem for 3D electrical impedance tomography inverse problem using experimental data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 19-32, 2009.
22. Zheng, H., M.-Z. Wang, Z. Zhao, and L. Li, "A novel linear EM reconstruction algorithm with phaseless data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 133-146, 2010.
23. Chen, X.-D., "Subspace-based optimization method in electric impedance tomography," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1397-1406, 2009.
24. Banasiak, R., R. Wajman, D. Sankowski, and M. Soleimani, "Three-dimensional nonlinear inversion of electrical capacitance tomography data using a complete sensor model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 219-234, 2010.
25. Mauriello, P. and D. Patella, "A data-adaptive probability-based fast ERT inversion method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 275-290, 2009.
26. Cristina, S. and M. Parise, "Fast calculation of theoretical response curves for induction depth sounding," Proc. of the 39th European Microwave Conference, Sep. 29-Oct. 1, 2009, 1567-1570, Rome, Italy, 2009.
27. Ward, S. H. and G. W. Hohmann, "Electromagnetic theory for geophysical applications," Electromagnetic Methods in Applied Geophysics, Theory --- Volume 1, M. N. Nabighian Ed., 131-308, SEG, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1988.
28. Ryu, J., H. F. Morrison, and S. H. Ward, "Electromagnetic fields about a loop source of current," Geophysics, Vol. 35, No. 5, 862-896, 1970.
29. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986.
30. Lin, Z., X. Zhang, and G. Fang, "Theoretical model of electromagnetic scattering from 3D multi-layer dielectric media with slightly rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 37-62, 2009.
31. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by a lossy double-negative metamaterial layer: a uniform asymptotic solution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 173-180, 2010.
32. Dai, S.-Y., C. Zhang, and Z.-S. Wu, "Electromagnetic scattering of objects above ground using MRTD/FDTD hybrid method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2187-2196, 2009.
33. Gustavsen, B. and A. Semlyen, "Rational approximation of frequency domain responses by vector fitting," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 3, 1052-1061, 1999.
34. Gustavsen, B., "Improving the pole relocating properties of vector fitting," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1587-1592, 2006.
35. Deschrijver, D., M. Mrozowski, T. Dhaene, and D. de Zutter, "Macromodeling of multiport systems using a fast implementation of the vector fitting method," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 6, 383-385, 2008.
36. Gustavsen, B. and C. Heitz, "Modal vector fitting: A tool for generating rational models of high accuracy with arbitrary terminal conditions," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 4, 664-672, 2008.
37. Watson, G. N., A Treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions, Cambridge University Press, 1944.
38. Eroglu, A. and J. K. Lee, "Far field radiation from an arbitrarily oriented hertzian dipole in an unbounded electricaly gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 291-310, 2009.
39. Kudrin, A. V., E. Y. Petrov, G. A. Kyriacou, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Electromagnetic radiation from sources embedded in a cylindrically stratified unbounded gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 297-331, 2009.
40. Ruppin, R., "Scattering of electromagnetic radiation by a coated perfect electromagnetic conductor sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 8, 53-62, 2009.
41. Lamultree, S., C. Phongcharoenpanich, S. Kosulvit, and M. Krairiksh, "Analysis of radiation characteristics of a probe-excited rectangular ring antenna by the dyadic green's function approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 79-101, 2009.
42. Mushref, M. A., "Radiation from an eccentric coated cylinder with slots of arbitrary sizes and positions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 55-78, 2009.
43. Boriraksantikul, N., P. Kirawanich, and N. E. Islam, "Near-field radiation from commercial cellular phones using a TEM cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 15-28, 2009.
44. LaComb, J. A., "Spoke top antenna for transient radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 1-9, 2009.
45. Simons, N. R. S., A. Sebak, and G. E. Bridges, "Application of the TLM method to half-space and remote-sensing problems," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, No. 3, 759-767, 1995.
46. Parise, M., "Exact electromagnetic field excited by a vertical magnetic dipole on the surface of a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 69-82, 2010.
47. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave x-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008.
48. Singh, D., N. K. Choudhary, K. C. Tiwari, and R. Prasad, "Shape recognition of shallow buried metallic objects at x-band using ann and image analysis techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 257-273, 2009.
49. Kalaee, P. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Investigation of dipole radiation pattern above a chiral media using 3D BI-FDTD approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 75-86, 2009.
50. Lu, Y. L., Y.-L. Wang, Y. H. Xu, and K. Li, "Electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipole buried in a four-layered region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 247-275, 2009.
51. Attiya, A. M., "Lower frequency limit of carbon nanotube antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 419-433, 2009.
52. Muoz-Barrutia, A., X. Artaechevarria, and C. Ortiz-de-Solorzano, "Spatially variant convolution with scaled B-splines," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 19, No. 1, 11-24, 2010.
53. Higham, N. J., Accuracy and Stability of Numerical Algorithms, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 2002.
54. Dongarra, J. J., "Performance of various computers using standard linear equations software,", Technical report CS-89-85, Department of Computer Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2008.
55. Telford, W. M., L. P. Geldart, and R. E. Sheriff, Applied Geophysics, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1990.