A novel class of electromagnetic media called that of SQ-media is defined in terms of compact four-dimensional differential-form formalism. The medium class lies between two known classes, that of Q-media and SD-media (also called self-dual media). Eigenfields for the defined medium dyadic are derived and shown to be uncoupled in a homogeneous medium. However, energy transport requires their interaction. The medium shares the nonbirefringence property of the Q-media (not shared by the SD media) and the eigenfield decomposition property of the SD media (not shared by the Q-media). Comparison of the three medium classes is made in terms of their three-dimensional medium dyadics.
2. Lindell, I. V., Methods for Electromagnetic Field Analysis, 54, Wiley, New York, 1995.
3. Deschamps, G. A., "Electromagnetics and differential forms," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 69, No. 6, 676-696, 1981.
4. Hehl, F. W. and Y. N. Obukhov, Foundations of Classical Electrodynamics, Birkhäuser, Boston, 2003.
5. Lindell, I. V., Differential Forms in Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 2004.
6. Lindell, I. V., "Wave equations for bi-anisotropic media in differential forms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 11, 1615-1635, 2002.
7. Lindell, I. V., "Differential forms and electromagnetic materials," Theory and Phenomena of Metamaterials, F. Capolino (ed.), 4.1-4.16, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2009.
8. Lindell, I. V. and H. Wallén, "Differential-form electromagnetics and bi-anisotropic Q-media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 7, 957-968, 2004.
9. Gibbs, J. W., Vector Analysis, Dover, New York, 1960 (reprint from the 2nd edition of 1909).
10. Lindell, I. V. and F. Olyslager, "Generalized decomposition of electromagnetic fields in bi-anisotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, 1584-1585, 1998.
11. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Perfect electromagnetic conductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 861-869, 2005.
12. Lindell, I. V., "Electromagnetic fields in self-dual media in differential-form representation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 319-333, 2006.
13. Lindell, I. V., "Class of electromagnetic SD media," Metamaterials, Vol. 2, No. 2-3, 54-70, 2008.
14. Lindell, I. V. and H. Wallén, "Generalized Q-media and field decomposition in differential-form approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1045-1056, 2004.
15. Bohren, C. F., "Light scattering by an optically active sphere," Chem. Phys. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 3, 458-462, 1974.