A novel slot array antenna with two layers of substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) is presented for millimeter-wave wireless applications. Unlike conventional SIW-based slot arrays, in this structure a feed waveguide is placed underneath the main substrate layer containing the slot array and is coupled to the branches of the array via slanted slots. The proposed feeding structure results in a considerable reduction in size and eliminates unwanted radiations from the feed network. Experimental results for two slot arrays with 4×4 and 6×6 elements operating at 60 GHz are presented showing 14.8 dB and 18.5 dB gain, respectively. Furthermore, a novel doubly tapered transition between SIW and microstrip line is presented which is particularly useful in mm-wave applications.
2. Kimura, Y., et al., "A low-cost and very compact wireless terminal integrated on the back of a waveguide planar array for 26 GHz band FWA systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2456-2462, Aug. 2005.
3. Yang, S., S. H. Suleiman, and A. E. Fathy, "Ku-band slot array antennas for low profile mobile DBS applications: Printed vs. machined," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 3137-3140, 2006.
4. Vincenti Gatti, R and R. Sorrentino, "A Ka-band active scanning array for mobile satellite terminals using slotted waveguide technology," 25th Antenna Workshop on Satellite Antenna Technology, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, Sep. 2002.
5. Nakano, H., et al., "Cost effective 60 GHz modules with a post-wall planar antenna for gigabit home-link system," Proc. 33rd European Microwave Conference, 891-894, 2003.
6. Hua, Y. and J.-Y. Li, "Analysis of longitudinal shunt waveguide slots using FEBI," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2041-2046, 2009.
7. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, Feb. 2003.
8. Wang, R., L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008.
9. Li, R., X. Tang, and F. Xiao, "A novel substrate integrated waveguide square cavity dual-mode filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2523-2529, 2009.
10. Lee, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
11. Yan, L., W. Hong, G. Hua, J. Chen, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Simulation and experiment on SIW slot array antennas," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Letters, Vol. 14, No. 9, 446-448, Sep. 2004.
12. Cheng, S., H. Yousef, and H. Kratz, "79 GHz slot antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) in a flexible printed circuit board," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 1, 64-70, Jan. 2009.
13. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Compact two-layer slot array antenna with SIW for 60 GHz wireless applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1-4, Jun. 2009.
14. Elliott, R. S., "An improved design procedure for small arrays of shunt slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, No. 1, 48-53, Jan. 1983.
15. Elliott, R. S. and W. R. O'Loughlin, "The design of slot arrays including internal mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 9, 1149-1154, Sep. 1986.
16. Elliot, R. S., "The design of waveguide-fed slot arrays," Antenna Handbook, Y. T. Lo and S. W. Lee (eds.), Chap. 12, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1993.
17. Stern, G. J. and R. S. Elliott, "Resonant length of longitudinal slots and validity of circuit representation: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 11, 1264-1271, Nov. 1985.
18. Coetzee, J. C. and J. Joubert, "Analysis procedure for arrays of waveguide slot doublets based on the full T-netwrok equivalent circuit representaion of radiators," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 147, No. 3, 173-178, Jun. 2000.
19. Rengarajan, S. R., "Analysis of a center-inclined waveguide slot coupler," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 5, 884-889, May 1989.
20. Rengarajan, S. R. and G. M. Shaw, "Accurate characterization of coupling junctions in waveguide-fed planar slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2239-2248, Dec. 1994.
21. Rengarajan, S. R., "Higher order mode coupling effects in the feeding waveguide of a planar slot array," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1219-1223, Jul. 1991.
22. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-72, Jan. 2005.
23. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, Feb. 2005.
24. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, Feb. 2001.
25. Horn, A., "Dielectric constant and loss of selected grades of Rogers high frequency circuit substrates from 1-50 GHz,", Tech. Rep. 5788, Rogers Corp., Rogers, CT, Sep. 2003.