A canonical problem is used to investigate the effects of various radar parameters on the performance of both steppedfrequency and short-pulse through-barrier radar imaging systems. For simplicity, a two-dimensional problem is considered, consisting of a perfectly conducting strip located behind a lossy dielectric slab of infinite extent illuminated by line sources. To assess the impact of the parameters on system performance, images of the target are created using the reflected field computed at several positions in front of the barrier and adjacent to the sources. Specific parameters considered include sample rate, A/D bit length, pulse width, and SNR for a time-domain system. For a stepped-frequency system, A/D bit length, bandwidth, and SNR are considered.
2. Baranoski, E. J., "Through-wall imaging: Historical perspective and future directions," Special Issue on Advances in Indoor Radar Imaging, J. Franklin Inst., 556-569, 2008.
3. Maaref, N., P. Millot, X. Ferrières, C. Pichot, and O. Picon, "Electromagnetic imaging method based on time reversal processing applied to through-the-wall target localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 1, 59-67, 2008.
4. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband short-pulse radar system," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International, 334-337, 2005.
5. Mokole, E. L. and P. Hansen, "Survey of ultra-wideband radar," Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetics 7, 571-585, 2007.
6. Hansen, P., K. Scheff, E. Mokole, and E. Tomas, "Dual frequency measurements of ocean forward scatter with an ultrawideband radar," Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Radar Conference, 376381, Atlanta, GA, May 1-3, 2001.
7. Attiya, A. M., "UWB applications for through-wall detection," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 3079-3082, 2004.
8. Taylor, J. D., Introduction to Ultra-wideband Radar System, CRC Press, 1995.
9. LaHaie, I. J., "Ultrawideband radar," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 1631, 1992.
10. Morgan, M. A., "Ultra-wideband impulse scattering measurements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 6, 840-846, Jun. 1994.
11. Falorni, P., L. Capineri, L. Masotti, and C. G. Windsor, "Analysis of time domain ultra-wide-band radar signals reflected by buried objects," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 662-665, 2007.
12. Kidera, S., T. Sakamoto, and T. Sato, "Experimental study of shadow region imaging algorithm with multiple scattered waves for UWB radars," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 4, 393-396, 2009.
13. Vickers, R., "Ultrahigh resolution radar," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 1875, 1993.
14. Chen, F.-C. and W. C. Chew, "Time-domain ultra-wideband microwave imaging radar system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 313-331, 2003.
15. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, Sep. 2004.
16. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
17. Chan, Y. K., V. C. Koo, and T. S. Lim, "Conceptual design of a high resolution, low cost X-band airborne synthetic aperture radar system," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 943-947, 2007.
18. Mei, C., M. Hasanovic, J. K. Lee, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from an arbitrarily shaped three-dimensional inhomogeneous bianisotropic body," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 680-684, 2007.
19. Crowgey, B. R., "Comparison of UWB-pulse and stepped-frequency systems for imaging through barriers,", Masters Thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 2009.
20. Sabath, F., E. L. Mokole, and S. N. Samaddar, "Definition and classification of ultra-wideband signals and devices," The Radio Science Bulletin, Vol. 313, Jun. 2005.
21. Davis, J., Y. Huang, S. G. Millard, and J. H. Bungey, "Determination of dielectric properties of insitu concrete at radar frequencies," International Symposium (NDT-CE 2003), Non-destructive Testing in Civil Engineering, 2003.