Automated and accurate classification of magnetic resonance (MR) brain images is an integral component of the analysis and interpretation of neuroimaging. Many different and innovative methods have been proposed to improve upon this technology. In this study, we presented a forward neural network (FNN) based method to classify a given MR brain image as normal or abnormal. This method first employs a wavelet transform to extract features from images, and then applies the technique of principle component analysis (PCA) to reduce the dimensions of features. The reduced features are sent to an FNN, and these parameters are optimized via adaptive chaotic particle swarm optimization (ACPSO). K-fold stratified cross validation was used to enhance generalization. We applied the proposed method on 160 images (20 normal, 140 abnormal), and found that the classification accuracy is as high as 98.75% while the computation time per image is only 0.0452s.
2. Cobos Sanchez, C., Cobos Sanchez, C., S. G. Garcia, L. D. Angulo, C. M. De JongS. G. Garcia, L. D. Angulo, C. M. De Jong Van Coevorden, and A. Rubio Bretones, "A divergence-free BEM method to model quasi-static currents: Application to MRI coil design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 187-203, 2010.
3. Mohsin, S. A., N. M. Sheikh, and U. Saeed, "MRI induced heating of deep brain stimulation leads: Effect of the air-tissue interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 81-91, 2008.
4. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Magnetic field in MRI yokeless devices: Analytical approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 327-341, 2009.
5. Mishra, M., N. Gupta, A. Dubey, and S. Shekhar, "Application of quasi monte carlo integration technique in efficient capacitance computation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 309-322, 2009.
6. Hynynen, K., "MRI-guided focused ultrasound treatments," Ultrasonics, Vol. 50, No. 2, 221-229, Ultrasonics, 2010.
7. Danesfahani, R., et al., "Applying shannon wavelet basis functions to the method of moments for evaluating the radar cross section of the conducting and resistive surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 257-292, 2008.
8. Valsan, S. P. and K. S. Swarup, "Wavelet transform based digital protection for transmission lines," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 31, No. 7-8, 379-388, 2009.
9. Camacho, J., J. Picó, and A. Ferrer, "Corrigendum to `The best approaches in the on-line monitoring of batch processes based on PCA: Does the modelling structure matter?' [Analytica Chimica Acta Vol. 642, 59-68, 2009.]," Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 658, No. 1, 106, 2010.
10. Bigler, D. C., et al., "STAMPS: Software tool for automated MRI post-processing on a supercomputer," Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol. 658, No. 1, 146-157, 2009.
11. Cocosco, C. A., A. P. Zijdenbos, and A. C. Evans, "A fully automatic and robust brain MRI tissue classification method," Medical Image Analysis, Vol. 7, No. 4, 513-527, 2003.
12. Yeh, J.-Y. and J. C. Fu, "A hierarchical genetic algorithm for segmentation of multi-spectral human-brain MRI," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, No. 2, 1285-1295, 2008.
13. Phaiboon, S. and P. Phokharatkul, "Path loss prediction for low-rise buildings with image classification on 2-D aerial photographs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 135-152, 2009.
14. Coulibaly, P. and N. D. Evora, "Comparison of neural network methods for infilling missing daily weather records," Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 341, No. 1-2, 27-41, 2007.
15. Parappagoudar, M. B., D. K. Pratihar, and G. L. Datta, "Forward and reverse mappings in green sand mould system using neural networks," Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 1, No. 1, 239-260, 2008.
16. Robotham, H., et al., "Acoustic identification of small pelagic fish species in Chile using support vector machines and neural networks," Fisheries Research, Vol. 102, No. 1-2, 115-122, 2010.
17. Llobet, E., et al., "Efficient feature selection for mass spectrometry based electronic nose applications," Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, Vol. 85, No. 2, 253-261, 2007.
18. Kiranyaz, S., et al., "Evolutionary artificial neural networks by multi-dimensional particle swarm optimization," Neural Networks, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1448-1462, 2009.
19. Lan, J., et al., "An investigation of neural network classifiers with unequal misclassification costs and group sizes," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 48, No. 4, 582-591, 2010.
20. Chaplot, S., L. M. Patnaik, and N. R. Jagannathan, "Classification of magnetic resonance brain images using wavelets as input to support vector machine and neural network," Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol. 1, No. 1, 86-92, 2006.
21. El-Dahshan, E.-S. A., T. Hosny, and A.-B. M. Salem, "Hybrid intelligent techniques for MRI brain images classification," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 20, No. 2, 433-441, 2010.
22. Heric, D. and D. Zazula, "Combined edge detection using wavelet transform and signal registration," Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 25, No. 5, 652-662, 2007.
23. Zhou, R., et al., "Mechanical equipment fault diagnosis based on redundant second generation wavelet packet transform," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 20, No. 1, 276-288, 2010.
24. Friedrichs, D. A., et al., "Methodologically induced differences in oak site classifications in a homogeneous tree-ring network," Dendrochronologia, Vol. 27, No. 1, 21-30, 2009.
25. Pathak, N., G. K. Mahanti, S. K. Singh, J. K. Mishra, and A. Chakraborty, "Synthesis of thinned planar circular array antennas using modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 87-97, 2009.
26. Zhang, Y. and L.Wu, "Weights optimization of neural network via improved BCO approach," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 185-198, 2008.
27. Zhang, Y., L. Wu, and G. Wei, "A new classifier for polarimetric SAR images," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 83-104, 2009.
28. May, R. J., H. R. Maier, and G. C. Dandy, "Data splitting for artificial neural networks using SOM-based stratified sampling," Neural Networks, Vol. 23, No. 2, 283-294, 2010.
29. Armand, S., et al., "Linking clinical measurements and kinematic gait patterns of toe-walking using fuzzy decision trees," Gait & Posture, Vol. 25, No. 3, 475-484, 2007.
30. Gdeisat, M. A., et al., "Spatial and temporal carrier fringe pattern demodulation using the one-dimensional continuous wavelet transform: Recent progress, challenges, and suggested developments," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1348-1361, 2009.
31. Ludwig, Jr, O., et al., "Applications of information theory, genetic algorithms, and neural models to predict oil flow," Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, Vol. 14, No. 7, 2870-2885, 2009.
32. Kellegöz, T., B. Toklu, and J. Wilson, "Elite guided steady-state genetic algorithm for minimizing total tardiness in flowshops," Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 58, No. 2, 300-306, 2010.
33. Acharjee, P. and S. K. Goswami, "Expert algorithm based on adaptive particle swarm optimization for power flow analysis," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, No. 3, Part 1, 5151-5156, 2009.