In this paper, an improved TRL (Thru-Reflect-Line) calibration method is presented. This method is based on ten-term error model of a two-port vector network analyzer(VNA) measurement system. Eight error terms induced by fixtures as well as two leakage errors are derived directly from the S parameters of the calibration standards measured from the coaxial reference plane without converting S parameters to T parameters. To validate our algorithm, a microstrip device with a via hole and a coplanar waveguide transmission line are fabricated and calibrated using the present TRL calibration method and Engen's algorithm, respectively. The magnitudes and phases of S11 and S21 of the devices are compared. The consistency of the de-embedded results with those calibrated by Engen's TRL algorithm illustrates the validity of the TRL algorithm in this paper.
2. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, M. S. Razalli, A. R. H. Alhawari, and B. K. Esfeh, "X-band miniaturized wideband band-pass filter utilizing multilayered microstrip hairpin resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 177-188, 2009.
3. Wang, Z., Q. Lai, R.-M. Xu, B. Yan, W. Lin, and Y. Guo, "A Millimeter-wave ultra-wideband four-way switch filter module based on novel three-line microstrip structure band-pass filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 297-309, 2009.
4. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. bin Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
5. Zhao, M., Y. Fan, D. Wu, and J. Zhan, "The investigation of w band microstrip integrated high order frequency multiplier based on the nonlinear model of avalanche diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 439-453, 2008.
6. Agilent Technologies, "Applying the 8510 TRL calibration for non-coaxial measurements,", May 2001.
7. Engen, G. F. and C. A. Hoer, "Thru-reflect-line: An improved technique for calibrating the dual six-port automatic network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 27, No. 12, 987-993, December 1979.
8. Marks, R. B., "A multiline method of network analyzer calibration," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1205-1215, 1991.
9. DeGroot, D. C., J. A. Jargon, and R. B. Marks, "Multiline TRL revealed," 60th ARFTG Conference Digest, 131-155, 2002.
10. López-González, F. J., E. Márquez-Segura, and C. Camacho-Peñalosa, "Robust statistical multi-line TRL calibration approach for microwave device characterization," IEEE MELECON, Vol. 187, No. 190, May 2006.
11. Kaiser, R. F. and D. F. Williams, "Sources of error in coplanar-waveguide TRL calibrations," 54th ARFTG Conference Digest, December 1999.
12. Agilent Technologies, "In-fixture microstrip device measurements using TRL* calibration,", 1994.
13. Ferrero, A. and U. Pisani, "Two-port network analyzer calibration using an unknown `thru'," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, No. 12, 505-507, 1992.
14. Anritsu Application Note, 3680 Series Universal Test Fixutures, , 11410-00024.
15. Anagnostou, D. E., et al., "A 0-55-GHz coplanar waveguide to coplanar strip transition," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 1-6, 2008.
16. Ponchak, G. E., "Experimental analysis of reduced-sized coplanar waveguide transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 971-974, 2003.
17. Li, Q. and K. L. Melde, "The impact of on-wafer calibration method on the measured results of coplanar waveguide circuits," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, No. 1, 285-292, 2010.