This paper presents a reconstruction approach which exploits the field detected by a holographic radar in order to localize and geometrically qualify a set of scattering objects. In particular, thanks to the adoption of the Kirchhoff Approximation, the problem is formulated as a linear inverse one wherein the unknown function is the characteristic function accounting for the support (location and geometry) of the target(s). The reconstruction performances of the approach have been investigated through an accurate numerical analysis, and an experimental validation has also been performed with the aim of testing the effectiveness and the practical relevance of the proposed method.
2. Ivashov, S. I., I. A. Vasiliev, T. D. Bechtel, and C. Snapp, "Comparison between impulse and holographic subsurface radar for NDT of space vehicle structural materials," PIERS Onlin, Vol. 3, No. 5, 658-661, 2007.
3. Case, J. T., J. Robbins, S. Kharkovsky, F. Hepburn, and R. Zoughi, "Microwave and millimeter wave imaging of the space shuttle external fuel tank spray on foam insulation (SOFI) using synthetic aperture focusing techniques (SAFT)," Review of Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti (eds.), Vol. 25, American Institute of Physics, 2006.
4. Daniels, D. J., Surface-penetrating Radar, IEE, London, 1996.
5. Dennis, J., GPR --- The Impact of New FCC Regulations, GSSI, July 25, 2002.
6. Chapursky, V. V., S. I. Ivashov, V. V. Razevig, A. P. Sheyko, I. A. Vasilyev, V. V. Pomozov, N. P. Semeikin, and D. J. Desmond, "Subsurface radar examination of an airstrip," Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, UWBST'2002, 181-186, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, May 20-23, 2002.
7. Chapursky, V. V., S. I. Ivashov, V. V. Razevig, A. P. Sheyko, and I. A. Vasilyev, "Microwave hologram reconstruction for the RASCAN type subsurface radar," Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar GPR'2002, 520-526, Santa Barbara, California, USA, April 29-May 2, 2002.
8. Razevig, V. V., S. I. Ivashov, I. A.Vasiliev, A. V. Zhuravlev, T. Bechtel, and L. Capineri, "Advantages and restrictions of holographic subsurface radars. Experimental evaluation," XIII International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, GPR 2010, Lecce, Italy, June 21-25, 2010.
9. Solimene, R., A. Brancaccio, R. Pierri, and F. Soldovieri, "Twi experimental results by a linear inverse scattering approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 259-272, 2009.
10. Bourlier, C., H. He, J. Chauveau, R. Hemon, and P. Pouliguen, "RCS of large bent waveguide ducts from a modal analysis combined with the Kirchhoff approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 1-38, 2008.
11. Soldovieri, F., A. Brancaccio, G. Prisco, R. Pierri, and G. Leone, "A Kirchhoff-based shape reconstruction algorithm for the multimonostatic configuration: The realistic case of buried pipes," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 10, 3031-3038, 2008.
12. Bertero, M. and C. de Mol, "SVD for linear inverse problems," SVD and Signal Processing III, M. Moonen and B. de Moor (eds.), 341-348, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1995.
13. Bertero, M., "Linear inverse and ill-posed problems," Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics, Vol. 75, 1-114, Academic Press, 1989.
14. Pierri, R., A. Liseno, and F. Soldovieri, "Shape reconstruction from PO multifrequency scattered fields via the singular value decomposition approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1333-1343, 2001.
15. Lee, K.-C., J.-S. Ou, and M.-C. Fang, "Application of SVD noise-reduction technique to PCA based radar target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 447-459, 2008.
16. Romano, N., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a re-configurable antenna for ground penetrating radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-18, 2009.
17. Soldovieri, F. and N. Romano, "The mutual interaction between the reconfigurable transmitting and receiving antennas in ground penetrating radar surveys," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1919-1928, 2009.
18. Balanis, C. A., "Field equivalence principle --- Aperture antennas," Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, 653-662, John Wiley & Sons, Publishers, Inc., New York, 2006.