In this work, based on the principle of the electromagnetic reflection and transmission, we first present a theoretical analysis of a super-resolving lens with anti-reflection and phase control coatings (ARPC). This ARPC is capable of reducing the reflectivity of superlens surface and making phase difference approaching zero. The principle of ARPC is discussed in detail and the engineer condition for super-resolution imaging is obtained and the best range of the permittivity of ARPC coatings is obtained. The results demonstrate that the subwavelength resolution of our lens with ARPC has been enhanced. Such remarkable imaging capability using ARPC promises new potential for nanoscale imaging and lithography.
2. Pokrovsky, A. L. and A. L. Efros, "Lens based on the use of left-handed materials," Appl. Opt., Vol. 42, 5701-5705, 2003.
3. Gong, Y. and G. Wang, "Superficial tumor hyperthermia with flat left-handed metamaterial lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 389-405, 2009.
4. Wang, G., Y. Gong, and H. Wang, "On the size of left-handed material lens for near-field target detection by focus scanning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 345-361, 2008.
5. Xi, S., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental confirmation of guidance properties using planar anisotropic left-handed metamaterial slabs based on s-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 279-287, 2008.
6. Gong, Y. and G. Wang, "Superficial tumor hyperthermia with flat left-handed metamaterial lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 389-405, 2009.
7. Veselago, V. G., "Properties of materials having simultaneously negative values of dielectric (ε) and magnetic (μ) susceptibilities," Sov. Phys. Solid State, Vol. 8, 2854-2856, 1967.
8. Zhang, Y., T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in a slab with negative permittivity and negative permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 271-286, 2002.
9. Qiao, S., G. A. Zheng, and L. X. Ran, "Enhancement of evanescent wave in an electrically anisotropic slab with partially negative permittivity tensor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1341-1350, 2008.
10. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. J. Viitanen, "Surface wave character on a slab of metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 127-137, 2005.
11. Mikki, S. M. and A. A. Kishk, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in nonlocal media: Negative group velocity and beyond," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 149-174, 2009.
12. Zhu, X., W.-Y. Pan, and B.-R. Guan, "Electromagnetic field generated by a horizontal electric dipole on a double negative medium half space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 6, 123-137, 2009.
13. Lee, H., Y. Xiong, N. Fang, W. Srituravanich, S. Durant, M. Ambati, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Realization of optical superlens imaging below the diffraction limit," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 7, 2005.
14. Liu, Z. W., N. Fang, T.-J. Yen, and X. Zha, "Rapid growth of evanescent wave by a silver superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 5184, 2003.
15. Rao, X. S. and C. K. Ong, "Subwavelength imaging by a left-handed material superlens," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 68, 067601, 2003.
16. Moore, C. P., M. D. Arnold, P. J. Bones, and R. J. Blaikie, "Image fidelity for single-layer and multi-layer silver superlenses," JOSA A, Vol. 25, No. 4, 911-918, 2008.
17. Shi, Z., V. Kochergin, and F. Wang, "193 nm superlens imaging structure for 20 nm lithography node," Optics Expres, Vol. 17, No. 14, 11309-11314, 2009.
18. Chaturvedi, P., W. Wu, V. J. Logeeswaran, Z. N. Yu, M. S. Islam, S. Y. Wang, R. S. Williams, and N. X. Fang, "A smooth optical superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 043102, 2010.
19. Taubner, T., D. Korobkin, Y. Urzhumov, G. Shvets, and R. Hillenbrand, "Near-field microscopy through a SiC superlens," Science, Vol. 313, 1595, 2006.
20. Fang, N., H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens," Science, Vol. 308, 534, 2005.
21. Cai, W., D. A. Genov, and V. M. Shalaev, "Superlens based on metal-dielectric composites," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 72, 193101, 2005.
22. Lee, K., Y. Jung, G. Kang, H. Park, and K. Kim, "Active phase control of a Ag near-field superlens via the index mismatch approach," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, 101113, 2009.
23. Lee, K., H. Park, J. Kim, G. Kang, and K. Kim, "Improved image quality of a Ag slab near-field superlens with intrinsic loss of absorption," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 3, 1711-1718, 2008.
24. Ramakrishna, S. A., J. B. Pendry, M. C. K. Wiltshire, and W. J. Stewart, "Imaging the near field," J. Mod. Opt., Vol. 50, 1419-1430, 2003.
25. Cao, P. F., X. P. Zhang, L. Cheng, and Q. Q. Meng, "Far field imaging research based on multilayer positive- and negative-refractive-index media under off-axis illumination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 283-298, 2009.
26. Ye, Z., "Optical transmission and reflection of perfect lenses by left handed materials," Physical Review B, Vol. 67, 193106, 2003.
27. Dong, J., "Surface wave modes in chiral negative refraction grounded slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 153-166, 2009.
28. Kong, F., K. Li, H. Huang, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Analysis of the surface magnetoplasmon modes in the semiconductor slit waveguide at terahertz frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 257-270, 2008.
29. Shi, Y. and C. H. Chan, "Solution to electromagnetic scattering by Bi-isotropic media using multilevel Green's function interpolation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 259-274, 2009.
30. Zia, R., M. D. Selker, P. B. Catrysse, and M. L. Brongersma, "Geometries and materials for subwavelength surface plasmon modes," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 21, No. 12, 2442-2446, 2004.
31. Yun, B. F., G. H. Hu, and Y. P. Cui, "Bound modes analysis of symmetric dielectric loaded surface plasmon-polariton waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 5, 3610-3618, 2009.
32. Berini, P., "Figures of merit for surface plasmon waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 13030-13042, 2006.
33. Liu, Z. W., N. Fang, T. J. Yen, and X. Zhang, "Rapid growth of evanescent wave by a silver superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 5184, 2003.
34. Yang, X. F., Y. Liu, J. X. Ma, J. H. Cui, H. Xing, W. Wang, C. T. Wang, and X. G. Luo, "Broadband super-resolution imaging by a superlens with unmatched dielectric medium," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 24, 19686-19694, 2008.
35. Karalis, A., E. Lidorikis, M. Ibanescu, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljacic, "Surface-plasmon-assisted guiding of broadband slow and subwavelength light in air," Pyhs. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 063901, 2005.