The angle-dependent properties of wave reflection in the lossy single-negative (SNG) materials are theoretically investigated. A model structure of SNG bilayer consisting of a lossy epsilon-negative (ENG) material and a lossy mu-negative (MNG) is considered in this work. The wave properties are investigated based on the calculated reflectance for the s wave (transversal electric wave) and the p wave (transversal magnetic wave) in addition to the degree of polarization. It is found that the angle-dependent reflectance of p wave is larger than that of s wave, which is contrary to the usual material with both positive epsilon and positive mu. The effects of losses coming from the ENG and MNG materials are specifically explored and the roles played by their thicknesses are also numerically elucidated.
2. Namdar, A., S. Roshan, H. Rahimi, and H. Tajalli, "Backward Tamm states in 1D single-negtaive metamaterials photonic crystals ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 149-1159, 2010.
3. Ding, Y., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in nonconjugated epsilon-negative and mu-negative metamaterials pair," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 109-112, 2010.
4. Hsu, H.-T. and C.-J. Wu, "Design rules for a Fabry-Perot narrow band transmission filter containing a metamaterial negative-index defect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 101-107, 2009.
5. Dong, L., G. Du, H. Jiang, H. Chen, and Y. Shi, "Transmission properties of lossy single-negative materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, 1091-1096, 2009.
6. Wang, Z.-Y., X.-M. Cheng, X.-Q. He, S.-L. Fan, and W.-Z. Yan, "Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive index structural defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 421-430, 2008.
7. Canto, J. R., S. A. Matos, C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Effects of losses in layered structure containing DPS and DNG media ," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 5, 546-550, 2008.
8. Chen, H. S., B. I.Wu, B. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interactions with a metamaterial cloak," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 99, 063903-1-063903-4, 2007.
9. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kidishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 224-227, 2007.
10. Dolling, G., C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, "Simultaneous negative phase and group velocity of light in a metamaterial," Science, Vol. 312, 892-893, 2006.
11. Navarro-Cia, M., J. M. Carrasco, M. Beruete, and F. J. Falcone, "Ultra-wideband metamaterial filter based on electroinductive-wave coupling between microstrips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 141-150, 2009.
12. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
13. Brovenko, A., P. N. Melezhik, A. Y. Poyedinchuk, N. P. Yashina, and G. Granet, "Resonant scattering of electromagnetic wave by stripe grating backed with a layer of metamaterial ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 423-441, 2009.
14. Scher, A. D. and E. F. Kuester, "Boundary effects in the electromagnetic response of a metamaterial in the case of normal incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 341-381, 2009.
15. Ding, W., L. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Numerical study of goos-hAnchen shift on the surface of anisotropic left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 151-164, 2008.
16. Mirzavand, R., B. Honarbakhsh, A. Abdipour, and A. Tavakoli, "Metamaterial-based phase shifters for ultra wide-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1489-1496, 2009.
17. Yu, G. X., T. J. Cui, W. X. Jiang, X. M. Yang, Q. Cheng, and Y. Hao, "Transformation of different kinds of electromagnetic waves using metamaterials ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 583-592, 2009.
18. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
19. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneous megative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
20. McCall, M. W., "What is negative refraction?," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 56, 1727-1740, 2009.
21. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, NJ, 2006.
22. Peiponen, K. E., V. Lucarini, E. M. Vartiainen, and J. J. Saarinen, "Kramers-Kronig relations and sum rules of negative refractive index medium ," Eur. Phys. J. B, Vol. 41, 61-65, 2004.
23. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, 2558-2571, 2003.
24. Wang, L. G., H. Chen, and S. Y. Zhou, "Omnidirectional gap and defect mode of one-dimensional photonic crystals with single-negative materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 245102, 2004.
25. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of photonic band structure in a one-dimensional photonic crystal containing single-negative material," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 16666-16680, 2009.
26. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through frequency-dispersive and lossy double-negative slab," Opto-Electron. Rev., Vol. 15, 133-143, 2007.
27. Hsu, H. T., K.-C. Ting, T.-J. Yang, and C.-J. Wu, "Investigation of photonic band gap in a one-dimensional lossy DNG/DPS photonic crystal," Solid State Comm., Vol. 150, 644-647, 2010.
28. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Thickness-dependent photonic bandgap in a one-dimensional single-negative photonic crystal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, 1506-1510, 2009.
29. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
30. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, Chapter 7, Rutger University, 2008, www.ece.rutgers.edu/»orfanidi/ewa.