The design of an octagonal-shaped microstrip-fed planar monopole antenna for ultrawideband (UWB) operation is studied. Two inverted T-shaped slits are embedded on the ground plane to allow band rejection characteristic from 5 to 6 GHz (for VSWR < 2). To enable switching capability for this band rejection function, a PIN diode is connected to each slit via a specified chip inductor that will be further investigated. Several prototypes were constructed and the measured results show that the proposed antenna can provide an operating bandwidth from 3.07 to 10.7 GHz, except for the rejected band. Simulation analyses are also carried out to validate the experimental results.
2. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
3. Khani, H. and P. Azmi, "Performance analysis of a high data rate UWB-DTR system in dense multipath channels," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 119-131, 2008.
4. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008.
5. Chen, Y. L., C. L. Ruan, and L. Peng, "A novel ultra-wideband bow-tie slot antenna in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 101-108, 2008.
6. Rajabi, M., M. Mohammadirad, and N. Komjani, "Simulation of ultra wideband microstrip antenna using EPML-TLM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 115-124, 2008.
7. Abbaspour, M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband star-shaped microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 61-68, 2008.
8. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008.
9. Han, T.-Y., C.-Y.-D. Sim, and W.-C. Wu, "Planar multilateral disc monopole antenna with variable band-notch function for Bluetooth/UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2289-2299, Dec. 2009.
10. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
11. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006.
12. Lin, Y. C. and K. J. Hung, "Compact ultrawideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 3075-3081, 2006.
13. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 783-785, 2005.
14. Lee, S. H., J. W. Bail, and Y. S. Kim, "A coplanar waveguide fed monopole ultra-wideband antenna having band-notched frequency function by two folded-striplines," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 2747-2750, 2006.
15. Luo, C. H., C. M. Lee, W. S. Chen, C. H. Tu, and Y. Z. Juang, "Dual band-notched monopole antenna with an annular CPW-feeding structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 2376-2379, 2007.
16. Hong, C. Y., C. W. Ling, I. Y. Tarn, and S. J. Chung, "Design of a planar ultrawideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 55, 3391-3397, 2007.
17. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 495-498, 2006.
18. Ding, Y., G. M. Wang, and J. G. Liang, "Compact band-notched ultra-wideband printed antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 4, 2686-2689, 2007.
19. Abbosh, A. M., "Ultra wideband planar antenna with spurline for subband rejection," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 725-728, 2008.
20. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Printed UWB monopole antenna embedded with L-shaped slots in the ground plane for 5 GHz band-notch function," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1965-1974, Dec. 2008.
21. Sim, C. Y. D., W. T. Chung, and C. H. Lee, "An octagonal UWB monopole antenna with 5 GHz band-notch function," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 74-78, 2009.
22. Sim, C. Y. D., W. T. Chung, and C. H. Lee, "A circular-disc monopole antenna with band-rejection function for ultrawideband application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1607-1613, 2009.
23. Shameena, V. A., M. N. Suma, K. Raj Rohith, P. C. Bybi, and P. Mohanan, "Compact ultra-wideband planar serrated antenna with notch band ON/OFF control," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 1323-1324, 2006.
24. Yoon, S. W., L. H. Truong, H. S. Lee, E. J. Park, H. M. Park, J. K. Rhee, and H. C. Park, "UWB antenna with frequency diversity characteristics using PIN-diode switches," ICACT 11th Int. Conf. Advanced Comm. Technol., 344-346, 2009.
25. Antonino, E., M. Cabedo, M. Ferando, and M. Baquero, "Novel UWB antennas with switchable and tunable band-notch behavior," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag., 693-696, 2007.
26. Antonino, E., M. Cabedo, M. Ferando, and M. Baquero, "Compact ultra-wideband planar serrated antenna with notch band ON/OFF control," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 1323-1324, 2006.