A new defected ground structure (DGS) is firstly proposed in this paper, which has better slow-wave effect than that of cross or dumbbell one. Using the model of transmission line, its equivalent parameters are extracted. With good omni-directional properties, the proposed DGS is then used in the design of a proximity coupled antenna for its miniaturization. The size of the developed antenna is about 68% smaller than that of the conventional one. Further, two artificial cells are added on the feed line to reduce the protrudent stub length from 26.9mm to 18.94 mm. With the utility of the DGS and artificial cells, the size of proximity coupled antenna is reduced significantly. By introducing a PIN diode at the end of feed line, the antenna is switchable in both x- and y-direction linear polarizations. Such miniaturization in antenna size has little negative effect on its cross polarization, with both simulated and experimental results presented for comparison.
2. Yang, X. D., Y. S. Li, and C. Y. Liu, "A toothbrush-shaped patch antenna for millimeter-wave communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 31-37, 2009.
3. Li, J.-F., B.-H. Sun, H.-J. Zhou, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Miniaturized circularly-polarized antenna using tapered meander-line structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 321-328, 2008.
4. Wi, S. H., Y. B. Sun, I. S. Song, S. H. Choa, I. S. Koh, Y. S. Lee, and J. G. Yook, "Package-level integrated antennas based on LTCC technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2190-2197, 2006.
5. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact dual band slot loaded circular microstrip antenna with a superstrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 245-255, 2008.
6. Zhao, G., F. S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z. B. Weng, and Y. C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.
7. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, and S.-L. Zuo, "A miniature sleeve meander antenna for TPMS application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1835-1842, 2009.
8. Geyi, W., Q. Rao, S. Ali, and D. Wang, "Handset antenna design: Practice and theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 123-160, 2008.
9. Liu, W. C., S. H. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Implantable broadband circular stacked PIFA antenna for biotelemetry communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1791-1800, 2008.
10. Fontgalland, G., P. I. L. Ferreira, T. P. Vuong, N. Raveu, and H. Baudrand, "Proposal of new EBG ground planes in the electric size reduction design of planar antennas," IEEE Advanced Industrial Conf. Telecom., 274-278, 2005.
11. Ramadan, A. H., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-koch microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 355-367, 2009.
12. Kim, S. H., K. H. Oh, H. Lim, J. I. Song, and J. H. Jang, "Slow-wave characteristics of a 1D EBG structure for a miniaturized monopole antenna," Microwave. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1231-1235, 2009.
13. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hojat Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009.
14. Hosseini, S. A., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Two new loaded compact planar ultra-wideband antennas using defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, No. 165, 2008.
15. Kim, J. H., I. K. Kim, J. G. Yook, and H. K. Park, "A slow-wave structure with Koch fractal slot loops," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 2, 87-88, 2002.
16. Tang, I. T., D. B. Lin, and T. H. Lu, "Applying the slow-wave effect in the design of a compact antenna," Microwave Journal, Vol. 51, No. 6, 96-96, 2008.
17. Fries, M. K. and R. Vahldieck, "Small microstrip patch antenna using slow-wave structure," IEEE Antennas Propag. Society International Symposium, Vol. 1-4, 770-773, 2000.
18. Geng, J.-P., J. Li, R.-H. Jin, S. Ye, X. Liang, and M. Li, "The development of curved microstrip antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 53-73, 2009.
19. Liu, H., Z. Li, and X. Sun, "Compact defected ground structure in microstrip technology," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 3, 132-134, 2005.
20. Lim, J. S., C. S. Kim, Y. T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A spiral-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 330-332, 2002.
21. Kim, H. M. and B. Lee, "Bandgap and slow/fast-wave characteristics of defected ground structures (DGSs) including left-handed features," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 54, No. 7, 3113-3120, 2006.
22. Woo, D. J., T. K. Lee, J. W. Lee, C. S. Pyo, and W. K. Choi, "Novel U-slot and V-slot DGSs for bandstop filter with improved Q factor," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2840-2847, 2006.
23. Huang, S. Y. and Y. H. Lee, "A compact E-shaped patterned ground structure and its applications to tunable bandstop resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 657-666, 2009.
24. Weng, L. H., Y.-C. Guo, X.-W. Shi, and X.-Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
25. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency circularly-polarized patch antenna with compact size and small frequency ratio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2104-2107, 2007.
26. Oskouei, H. D., K. Forooraghi, and M. Hakkak, "Guided and leaky wave characteristics of periodic defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007.
27. Wang, C. W., T. G. Ma, and C. F. Yang, "A new planar artificial transmission line and its applications to a miniaturized butler matrix," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2792-2801, 2007.
28. Ma, T. G., C. W. Wang, R. C. Hua, and J. W. Tsai, "A modified Quasi-Yagi antenna with a new compact microstrip-to-coplanar strip transition using artificial transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2469-2474, 2009.
29. Tokunaga, I., M. Yamamoto, I. Nojima, and K. Itoh, "Polarisation switchable microstrip array antenna using proximity feeding technique," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 22, 1569-1570, 2003.