In this paper, a simple method and structure to design a dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) by using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonator (UIR) is presented. In this structure, two passbands can be designed individually and several transmission zeros can be created to improve the band selectivity and stopband performance. The first passband is determined by the dual feeding structure and the second passband is determined by the UIR. Moreover, by using the inter coupling in the UIR, the performance of the second passband can be easily tuned without degrading the first passband. In order to verify the design concept, two filter examples, including 0.9/1.575 GHz for multi-services communication and 2.4/5.7 GHz for wireless local area network (WLAN), are designed in this study. Experimental results of the fabricated samples show a good agreement with the simulated results.
2. Alkanhal, M. A. S., "Dual-band bandpass filters using inverted stepped-impedance resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1211-1220, 2009.
3. Lee, C. H., I. C. Wang, and C. I. G. Hsu, "Dual-band balanced BPF using λ/4 stepped-impedance resonators and folded feed lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2441-2449, 2009.
4. Wang, J. P., B.-Z. Wang, Y. X. Wang, and Y.-X. Guo, "Dual-band microstrip stepped-impedance bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 463-470, 2008.
5. Weng, M. H., H. W. Wu, and Y. K. Su, "Compact and low loss dual-band bandpass filter using pseudo-interdigital stepped impedance resonators for WLANs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, 187-189, 2007.
6. Chang, Y.-C., C.-H. Kao, M.-H. Weng, and R.-Y. Yang, "Design of the compact dual-band bandpass filter with high isolation for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 780-782, 2009.
7. Weng, M.-H., C.-H. Kao, and Y.-C. Chang, "A compact dualband bandpass filter using cross-coupled asymmetric SIRs for WLANs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 161-168, 2010.
8. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel-Villagr, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Application of stub loaded folded stepped impedance resonators to dual band filter design," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 102, 107-124, 2010.
9. Weng, M.-H., S.-K. Liu, H.-W. Wu, and C.-H. Hung, "A dual-band bandpass filter having wide and narrow bands simultaneously using multilayered stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 139-147, 2010.
10. Chen, C. Y., C. Y. Hsu, and H. R. Chuang, "Design of miniature planar dual-band filter using dual-feeding structures and embedded resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 669-671, 2006.
11. Tsai, C. M., S. Y. Lee, and C. C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a zero-degree feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 2362-2367, 2002.
12. Lee, S. Y. and C. M. Tsai, "New cross-coupled filter design using improved hairpin resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 2482-2490, 2000.
13. IE3D Simulator, Zeland Software, Inc., 1997.