ƒAn improved finite difference time domain (FDTD) method is employed for fast capturing transient responses of reconfigurable and multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antennas under the impact of an intentional high-power electromagnetic pulse (EMP) but with different waveforms, respectively, where lumped element and sub-cellular thin-wire algorithms and coaxial feed model are integrated together for handling such three-dimensional antennas used for wireless communication. Parametric studies are carried out to show effects of high-power EMP waveforms, its polarization state and incident direction on the transient coupled voltages on the coaxial feed line and across the diodes, with sufficient information obtained for understanding the interaction between the EMP and the antennas.
2. Vazquez Antuna, C., G. Hotopan, S. Ver Hoeye, M. Fernandez Garcia, L. F. Herran Ontanon, and F. Las-Heras, "Microstrip antenna design based on stacked patches for reconfigurable two dimensional planar array topologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 95-104, 2009.
3. Ghassemi, N., J. Rashed-Mohassel, M. H. Neshati, and M. Ghassemi, "Slot coupled microstrip antenna for ultra wideband applications in C and X bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 15-25, 2008.
4. Chen, S. H., J. S. Row, and K. L. Wong, "Reconfigurable squarering patch antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 2, 472-475, Feb. 2007.
5. Zhang, S., S. N. Khan, and S. He, "Reducing mutual coupling for an extremely closely-packed tunable dual-element PIFA array through a resonant slot antenna formed in-between ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, April 2010 (accepted).
6. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002.
7. Radasky, W. A., C. E. Baum, and M. W. Wik, "Introduction to the special issue on high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) and intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 3, 314-321, Aug. 2004.
8. Giri, D. V. and F. M. Tesche, "Classification of intentional electromagnetic environments (IEME)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 3, 322-328, Aug. 2004.
9. Revision of Part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems, 98-153 Tech. Rep., ET-Docket, FCC02-48, Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
10. Xue, M. F. and W. Y. Yin, "Wide band pulse responses of fractal monopole antennas under the imapct of an EMP," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 98-107, Feb. 2009.
11. Sabath, F., M. Backstrom, B. Nordstrom, D. Serafin, A. Kaiser, B. A. Kerr, and D. Nitsch, "Overview of four European high-power microwave narrow-band test facilities," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 3, 329-334, Aug. 2004.
12. Prather, W. D., C. E. Baum, R. J. Torres, F. Sabath, and D. Nitsch, "Survey of worldwide high-power wideband capabilities," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 3, 335-344, Aug. 2004.
13. Xu, J. F., W. Y. Yin, and J. F. Mao, "Transient thermal analysis of GaN heterojunction transistors for high-power applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 55-57, Jan. 2007.
14. Xu, J. F., W. Y. Yin, J. F. Mao, and L. W. Li, "Thermal transient response of GaAs FETs under intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 2, 340-346, May 2008.
15. Ren, Z., W.-Y. Yin, Y.-B. Shi, and Q. H. Liu, "Thermal accumulation e®ects on the transient temperature responses in LDMOSFETs under the impact of a periodic electromagnetic pulse (EMP)," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 1, 345-352, Jan. 2010.
16. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using pin diodes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 439-448, Feb. 2006.
17. Yang, S. L. S. and K. M. Luk, "Design of a wide-band L-probe patch antenna for pattern reconfiguration or diversity applications ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 433-438, Feb. 2006.
18. Mirzavand, R., A. Abdipour, G. Moradi, and M. Movahhedi, "Full-wave semiconductor devices simulation using ADI-FDTD Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 191-202, 2010.
19. Liu, Y. H., Q. H. Liu, and Z.-P. Nie, "A new efficient FDTD time-to-frequency-domain conversion algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 33-46, 2009.
20. Faghihi, F. and H. Heydari, "Time domain physical optics for the higher-order FDTD modeling in electromagnetic scattering from 3-D complex and combined multiple materials objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 87-102, 2009.
21. Zhang, Y.-Q. and D.-B. Ge, "A Unified FDTD approach for electromagnetic analysis of dispersive objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 155-172, 2009.
22. Camp, M., H. Gerth, H. Garbe, and H. Haase, "Predicting the breakdown behavior of microcontrollers under EMP/UWB impact using a statistical analysis," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 3, 368379, Aug. 2004.
23. Camp, M. and H. Garbe, "Parameter estimation of double exponential pluses (EMP, UWB) with least squares and ncular mead algorithm," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 4, 368379, Aug. 2004.
24. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finit-di®erence Time-domain Method, 2nd Ed., Arthech House, MA, Norwood, 2000.
25. Noda, T. and S. Yokoyama, "Thin wire representation in finite difference time domain surge simulation," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 17, No. 3, 840-847, Jul. 2002.
26. Umashankar, K. R., A. Taflove, and B. Beker, "Calculation and experimental validation of induced currents on coupled wires in an arbitrary shaped cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 11, 1248-1257, Nov. 1987.
27. Hyun, S. Y., S. Y. Kim, and Y. S. Kim, "An equivalent feed model for the FDTD analysis of antennas driven through a ground plane by coaxial lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 1, 161-167, Jan. 2009.
28. Johnk, C. T. A., Engineering Electromagnetic Fields and Waves, 2nd Ed., 495-501, Wiley, New York, 1988.
29. Lu, J. W., D. Thiel, and S. Saario, "FDTD analysis of dielectric-embedded electronically switched multiple-beam (DE-ESMB) antenna array," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 38, No. 2, 701-704, Mar. 2002.