We present the design and simulation of an ultra-compact polarization beam splitter (PBS) by combining a photonic crystal (PhC) multimode waveguide and an internal PhC section. The PhC multimode waveguide is designed to collect the powers reflected by or transmitted through the internal PhC structure which serves as a polarization sensitive scatterer. Plane wave expansion (PWE) method is used to calculate the band structure and the finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) method is employed to obtain the spectrum response. The simulation results show that the present design can give an ultra-compact PBS with high extinction ratio over a broad bandwidth.
2. Soldano, L. B., A. H. de Vreede, M. K. Smit, B. H. Verbeek, E. G. Metaal, and F. H. Groen, "Mach-Zehnder interferometer polarization splitter in InGaAsP-InP," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 402-405, 1994.
3. Kiyat, I., A. Aydinli, and N. Dagli, "A compact silicon-on-insulator polarization splitter," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 100-102, 2005.
4. Hong, J. M., H. H. Ryu, S. R. Park, J. W. Jeong, S. G. Lee, E.-H. Lee, S.-G. Park, D. Woo, S. Kim, and B.-H. O, "Design and fabrication of a significantly shortened multimode interference coupler for polarization splitter application," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 72-75, Jan. 2003.
5. Minin, I. V., O. V. Minin, Y. R. Triandaphilov, and V. V. Kotlyar, "Subwavelength diffractive photonic crystal lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 257-264, 2008.
6. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008.
7. Maleki Javan, A. R. and N. Granpayeh, "Fast Terahertz wave switch/modulator based on photonic crystal structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 203-212, 2009.
8. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008.
9. Awasthi, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Wide-angle broadband plate polarizer with 1D photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 321-335, 2008.
10. Ao, X. and S. He, "Polarization beam splitters based on a two-dimensional photonic crystal of negative refraction," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 16, 2152-2154, 2005.
11. Kim, S., G. P. Nordin, J. Cai, and J. Jiang, "Ultracompact high-efficiency polarizing beam splitter with a hybrid photonic crystal and conventional waveguide structure," Opt. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 23, 2384-2386, 2003.
12. Li, Y., P. Gu, M. Li, H. Yan, and X. Liu, "Research on the wide-angle and broadband 2D photonic crystal polarization splitter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 265-273, 2008.
13. Kim, H.-J., I. Park, B.-H. O, S.-G.Park, E.-H. Lee, and S.-G. Lee, "Self-imaging phenomena in multi-mode photonic crystal line-defect waveguides: Application to wavelength de-multiplexing ," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, No. 23, 5625-5633, 2003.
14. Liu, T., A. R. Zakharian, M. Fallahi, J. V. Moloney, and M. Mansuripur, "Multi-mode interference-based photonic crystal waveguide power splitter ," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 22, No. 12, 2842-2846, 2004.
15. Li, Z., Y. Zhang, and B. Li, "Terahertz photonic crystal switch in silicon based on self-imaging principle ," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 9, 3887-3892, 2006.
16. Banaei, H. A. and A. Rostami, "A novel proposal for passive all-optical demultiplexer for DWDM systems using 2-D photonic crystals," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 471-482, 2008.
17. Qiu, M. and S. He, "Optimal design of a two-dimensional photonic crystal of square lattice with a large complete two-dimensional bandgap," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1027-1030, 2000.
18. Hsu, S., M. Chen, and H. Chang, "Investigation of band structures for 2D non-diagonal anisotropic photonic crystals using a finite element method based eigenvalue algorithm," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, No. 12, 5416-5430, 2007.
19. Li, Z., B. Gu, and G. Yang, "Large absolute band gap in two-dimensional anisotropic photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 81, 2574-2577, 1998.
20. Taflove, A., Computational Electromagnetics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.