An advanced aspheric and asymmetric large aperture dielectric lens antenna is proposed firstly here for high resolution at W-band frequency. Large aperture and aspheric lens provides minimum focusing error and high resolution in millimeter wave quasi-optics application. To the best of the authors' knowledge we design first time 500 mm large aperture lens for W-band quasi optics application. Near field radiation pattern, beam size and focal length of the lens are obtained theoretically and experimentally as well. Dielectric rod waveguide antenna is also designed and employed as a source antenna for the lens. The measured and simulated results of the DRW antenna also show very good performance at W-band frequency, and it has 15.3 dB gain with -22.5 dB sidelobe levels at 94 GHz.
2. Goldsmith, P. F., Quasioptical System --- Gaussian Beam Quasioptical Propagation and Applications, IEEE Press, 1998.
3. Schwarz, S. E., "Efficiency of quasi-optical couplers," Int. Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Wave, Vol. 5, 1517-1525, 1984.
4. Shiau, Y., "Dielectric rod antennas for millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 24, 869-872, 1976.
5. Lioubtchenko, D. V., S. N. Dudorov, J. A. Mallat, and A. V. Raisanen, "Dielectric rod waveguide antenna for W-band with good input match," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, 4-6, 2005.
6. Patrovsky, A. and K. Wu, "94-GHz planar dielectric rod antenna with substrate integrated image guide (SIIG) feeding," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 5, 435-437, 2006.
7. Tuovinen, J., T. M. Hirvonen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Near-field analysis of a thick lens and horn combination: Theory and measurements ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, 613-619, 1992.
8. Tajima, Y. and Y. Yamada, "Improvement of beam scanning characteristics of a dielectric lens antenna by array feeds," IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Vol. E91-A, 1616-1624, 2008.
9. Sun, Z. L. and W. B. Dou, "Far-field pattern of a focal-plan array-lens at millimeter wavelengths," Int. Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 19, 673-685, 1998.
11. Kim, W.-G., J. P. Thakur, and Y. H. Kim, "Efficient DRW antenna for quasi-optics feed in W-band imaging radiometer system," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 52, 1221-1223, 2010.