A combined method of the non-uniform fast fourier transform (NUFFT) migration and the least-square based matching pursuit decomposition (MPD) algorithms is proposed to obtain better discrimination and interpretation for subsurface from ground penetrating radar (GPR) signals. By using the modified NUFFT migration algorithm, a fast and high resolution GPR reconstruction can be obtained with an additional reduction in storage and computation requirements. By incorporating the MPD algorithm into a migration method, denoised reconstructions are obtained to enhance objects detection, including the identification of objects' geometries and the estimation of their sizes and locations. Several examples from synthetic data and field data are demonstrated to establish the effectiveness of the synergic effect by comparing it with the conventional migration methods.
2. Groenenboom, J. and A. Yarovoy, "Data processing and imaging in GPR system dedicated for landmine detection," Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Appl., Vol. 3, No. 4, 387-402, 2002.
3. Danielsa, J. J., R. Robertsa, and M. Vendlb, "Ground penetrating radar for the detection of liquid contaminants," Appl. Geophys., Vol. 33, 195-207, 1995.
4. Fiorani, L., M. Bortone, S. Mattei, C. Ruocchio, S. Vetrella, and A. Salom, "Geoscope and Geolidar: Integrated instruments for underground archaeological investigations," Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Appl., Vol. 1, No. 3, 305-319, 2000.
5. Gu, K., G. Wang, and J. Li, "Migration based SAR imaging for ground penetrating radar systems," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar, Navigation, Vol. 151, 317-325, 2004.
6. Song, J., Q. H. Liu, K. Kim, W. R. Scott, and , "High-resolution 3-D radar imaing through nonuniform fast Fourier transform (NUFFT) ," Commu. in Computat. Phys., Vol. 1, No. 1, 176-191, 2006.
7. Song, J., Q. H. Liu, P. Torrione, and L. Collins, "Two-dimensional and three-dimensional NUFFT migration method for landmine detection using ground-penetrating radar ," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, 1462-1469, 2006.
8. Cafforio, C., C. Prati, and F. Rocca, "SAR data focusing using seismic migration techniques," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 27, 194-207, 1991.
9. Stolt, R. H., "Migration by Fourier transform," Geophys., Vol. 43, No. 1, 23-48, 1978.
10. Li, A., Algoritthms for the implementation of Stolt interpolation in SAR processing, Intl. Conf. Geosci. Remote Sensing Symp., 360-362, 1992.
11. Liu, Q. H. and N. Nguyen, "An accurate algorithm for nonuniform fast Fourier transform (NUFFT's)," IEEE Trans. Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 1, 18-20, 1998.
12. Nguyen, N. and Q. H. Liu, "The regular Fourier matrics and nonuniform fast Fourier transforms," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 21, No. 1, 283-293, 1999.
13. Liu, Y.-H. and Q. H. Liu, "A new efficient FDTD time-to-frequency-domian conversion algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 92, 33-46, 2009.
14. Wang, Y., "Seismic time-frequency spectral decomposition by matching pursuit ," Geophys., Vol. 72, No. 1, 13-20, 2007.
15. Chakraborty, A. and D. Okaya, "Frequency-time decomposition of seismic data using wavelet-based methods," Geophys., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1906-1916, 1995.
16. Liu, J. and K. J. Marfurt, "Instantaneous spectral attributes to detect channels," Geophys., Vol. 72, No. 2, 23-31, 2007.
17. Bradford, J. H. and Y. Wu, "Instantaneous spectral analysis: Time-frequency mapping via wavelet matching with application to contaminated-site characterization by 3D GPR," Leading Edge, Vol. 26, No. 8, 1018-1023, 2007.