A novel fractal antenna-array type is proposed. The design is based on the Sierpinski rectangular carpet concept. However, the generator is a circular ring area, filled with radiating elements, so the higher stages of the fractal development produce large arrays of circular rings which, besides the high directivity, have the advantage of the almost uniform azimuthal radiation pattern, attribute that many applications require. The introduced arrays can operate as direct radiating multi-beam phased arrays and meet the requirements of satellite communications links: high End of Coverage (EOC) directivity, low Side Lobe Level (SLL) and high Career to Interference ratio (C/I). These operational indices were further optimized by a synthesized multi-objective and multi-dimensional Genetic Algorithm (GA) which, additionally, gave arrays no more than 120 elements.
2. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
3. Werner, H. and R. Mittra, Frontiers in Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
4. Siakavara, K. and F. Tsaldaris, "A multi-wideband microstrip antenna designed by the square curve fractal technique," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, No. 3, 180-185, 2004.
5. Siakavara, K., "Enhanced fractal microstrip antenna performance by using photonic bandgap fractal ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 5, 397-402, 2004.
6. Siakavara, K. and T. Ganatsos, "Modification of the radiation patterns of higher order modes of triangular printed antennas by EBG ground planes ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 124-128, 2009.
7. Salmasi, M. P., F. Hodjatkashani, and M. N. Azarmanesh, "A novel broadband fractal Sierpinski shaped, microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 179-190, 2008.
8. Azari, K. and J. Rowhani, "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
9. Cheng, H. R., X.-Q. Chen, L. Chen, and X.-W. Shi, "Design of a fractal dual-polarized aperture coupled microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 175-181, 2009.
10. Baliarda, C. P. and R. Pous, "Fractal design of multiband and low sidelobes array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 5, 730-739, 1996.
11. Haupt, R. L., "Optimized weighting of uniform subarrays of unequal sizes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1207-1210, 2007.
12. Haupt, R. L., "Reducing grating lobes due to subarray amplitude tapering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 8, 846-850, 1985.
13. Toso, G., C. Mangenot, and A. G. Roeder, "Sparse and thinned arrays for multiple beam satellite applications," Proc. of the Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2007) , 2007.
14. Razavi, A. and K. Forooraghi, "Thinned arrays using pattern search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 78, 61-71, 2008.
15. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 2, 993-999, 2003.
16. Lommi, A., L. A. Massa, E. Storti, and A. Trucco, "Sidelobe reduction in sparse linear arrays by genetic algorithms," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, 194-196, 2002.
17. Vigano, M. C., G. Toso, C. Mangenot, P. Angeletti, and G. Pelosi, GA optimized thinned hexagonal arrays for satellite applications, Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, 3165-3168, 2007.
18. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
19. Kaifas, T., K. Siakavara, D. Babas, G. Miaris, E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, On the design of direct radiating antenna arrays with reduced number of controls for satellite communications , 1st International ICST Conference on Mobile Lightweight Wireless Systems --- MOBILIGHT 2009, Proceedings CD, May 18-20, 2009.
20. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "A deterministic approach to the synthesis of pencil beams through planar thinned arrays," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 101, 217-230, 2010.
21. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, P.-F. Zhang, and Q. Gong, "A novel IGA-EDSPSO hybrid algorithm for the synthesis of sparse arrays ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 89, 121-134, 2009.
22. Tokan, F. and F. Gunes, "The multi-objective optimization of non-uniform linear phased arrays using the genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 17, 135-151, 2009.
23. Pierro, V., V. Galdi, G. Castaldi, I. M. Pinto, L. B., and Felsen, "IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat.," Radiation properties of planar antenna arrays based on certain categories of aperiodic tilings , Vol. 53, No. 2, 635-644, 2005.
24. Morabito, A. F., T. Isernia, M. G. Labate, M. D'Urso, and O. M. Bucci, "Direct radiating arrays for satellite communications via aperiodic tilings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 93, 107-124, 2009.
25. Vigano, M. C., G. Toso, G. Caille, C. Mangenot, and I. E. Lager, "Spatial density tapered sunflower antenna array," Proc. of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009) , 778-782, March 2009.
26. Angeletti, P. and G. Toso, Aperiodic arrays for space applications: A combined amplitude/density synthesis approach, Proc. of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009), 2026-2030, March 2009.
27. Werner, D. H. and T. G. Spence, Thinning of aperiodic antenna arrays for low side-lobe levels and broadband operation using genetic algorithms, Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2059-2062, 2006.
28. Werner, D. H., M. A. Gingrich, P. L. Werner, "A self-similar radiation pattern synthesis technique for reconfigurable multiband antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1486-1498, 2003.
29. Petko, J. S. and D. H. Werner, "The evolution of optimal linear polyfractal arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3604-3615, 2005.
30. Siakavara, K., E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, On the design of a direct radiating array by using the fractal technique, Proc. of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1242-1246, Berlin, Germany, March 23-27, 200.
31. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, 1998.
32. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
33. Haupt, R. and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
34. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
35. Golino, G., Improved genetic algorithm for the design of optimal antenna division in sub-arrays: A multi-objective genetic algorithm, Proc. IEEE International Radar Conference, 629-634, May 2005.
36. Bogard, J. N., D. Werner, and P. L. Werner, "Optimization of Peano-Gosper fractal arrays for broadband performance using genetic algorithms to eliminate grating lobes during scanning ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 755-758, 2005.