In this paper, we present a new ultra wideband antenna design with band rejection for UWB applications. A CPW-fed circular patch radiates through a circular aperture, which ensures wideband impedance matching and stable omnidirectional pattern over an UWB frequency range, from 3GHz to 10.6 GHz. In order to avoid interference with WLAN applications, at 5.8 GHz, the antenna is slightly modified to reject undesired band. A semi-circular slot ring is etched on the circular patch at the notch frequency, which creates an open circuit and avoids impedance matching and current propagation. A prototype was fabricated and measured, and the obtained experimental results agree with simulations and show an omnidirectional azimuth pattern over the entire bandwidth.
2. Abbosh, M. and M. E. Bialkowsky, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, January 2008.
3. Lee, J. N. and J. K. Park, "Compact UWB chip antenna design using the coupling concept," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 341-351, 2009.
4. Ling, C.-W., W.-H. Lo, R.-H. Yan, and S.-J Chung, "Planar binomial curved monopole antennas for ultrawideband communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2622-2624, September 2007.
5. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-fed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
6. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
7. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2008.
8. Denidni, T. A. and M. A. Habib, "Broadband printed CPW-fed circular slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, 135-136, February 2006.
9. Ma, T.-G. and S.-J. Wu, "Ultrawideband band-notched folded strip monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2473-2473, September 2007.
10. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
11. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
12. Lin, Y.-G. and K.-J. Hung, "Compact ultrawideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, November 2006.