A novel DOA finding method for conformal array applications is proposed. By using sub-array divided and interpolation technique, ESPRIT-based algorithms can be used on conformal arrays for 1-D and 2-D DOA estimation. In this paper, the circular array mounted on a metallic cylindrical platform is divided to several sub-arrays, and each sub-array is transformed to virtual uniform linear array or virtual uniform planar array through interpolation technique. 1-D and 2-D direction of arrivals can be estimated accurately and quickly by using LS-ESPRIT and 2-D DFT-ESPRIT algorithms, respectively. This method can be applied not only to cylindrical conformal array but also to any other arbitrary curved conformal arrays. Validity of this method is proved by simulation results.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
3. Tuncer, E. and B. Friedlander, "Classical and Modern Direction of Arrival Estimation," Elsevier, Burlington, MA, 2009.
4. Schmit, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, Mar. 1986.
5. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, Jul. 1989.
6. Peng, Y., Y. Feng, and Z. Nie, DOA estimation using MUSIC algorithm on a cylindrical conformal antenna array, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, 5299-5302, 2007.
7. Mathews, C. P. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Eigenstructure techniques for 2D angle estimation with uniform circular arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2395-2407, 1994.
8. Friedlander, B., Direction finding with an interpolated array, Proc., ICASSP, 2951-2954, Albuquerque, NM, Apr. 1990.
9. Weiss, A. J. and M. Gavish, "Direction finding using ESPRIT with interpolated arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1473-1478, 1991.
10. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding for wideband signals using an interpolated array," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 4, 1618-1634, 1993.
11. Yuen, N. and B. Friedlander, "Asymptotic performance analysis of esprit, higher order esprit, and virtual ESPRIT algorithms," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 10, 2537-2550, Oct. 1996.
12. Hwang, S. and T. K. Sarkar, Direction of arrival (DOA) estimation using a transformation matrix through singular value decomposition, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, 130-133, 2005.
13. Rubsamen, M. and A. B. Gershman, Root-MUSIC based direction of arrival estimation methods for arbitrary non-uniform arrays, Proc., ICASSP, 2317-2320, 2008.
14. Zoltowski, M. D., M. Haardt, and C. P. Mathews, "Closed form 2-D angle estimation with rectangular arrays in element space or beamspace via unitary ESPRIT ," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 2, 316-328, Feb. 1996.