This paper proposes the configuration of a novel dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna system suitable for indoor mobile communication applications. This configuration consists of two compact patch antennas, which have different feed structures from classical patch antenna configuration. These antennas, which are separated by a thin absorber to have a good isolation, are fed independently to obtain dual polarization. The antenna structure is designed, simulated, manufactured and measured. The operation bandwidth spans 1900-2700 MHz covering Bluetooth, Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN) and Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) bands. The simulations show good agreement with the measurement results that the antennas have return losses higher 15 dB, and the coupling between two antennas is below -20 dB within the operation band.
2. Chen, Z. N. and K.-M. Luk, Antennas for Base Stations in Wireless Communications, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2009.
3. Huang, Y. H., J. Ma, S. G. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact wideband inverted cone combined spherical segment antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 935-940, 2009.
4. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-FED triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile Wimax application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
6. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
7. Vaughan, R. G., et al., "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Tech., Vol. 36, 149-172, 1987.
8. Su, D., D. Fu, T. N. C. Wang, and H. Yang, "Broadband polarization diversity base station antenna for 3G communication system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 493-500, 2008.
9. Wong, K.-L., F.-S. Chang, and T.-W. Chiou, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized probe-fed patch antenna for WLAN base station," IEEE Int. Symposium on Antennas & Propag., Vol. 2, 526-529, 2002.
10. Kashani, H. F., M. Shahpari, and H. Ameri, "Dual band dual polarized antenna with high e±ciency for base transceiver stations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1371-1379, 2008.
11. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
12. Herscovici, N., "New considerations in the design of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 46, 807-812, 1998.