A thin dipole antenna is a well-known antenna with linearly polarized wave operation. In this work, a wide-strip dipole antenna is proposed for circularly polarized wave operations. To obtain circularly polarized (CP) wave operations, there are two conditions to be satisfied. One is that the antenna must have two degenerated orthogonal modes with different resonant frequencies. The other is that the phase difference of two orthogonal modes is 90 degrees. To match the first condition, the slab width W is tuned to generate current distributions directed in two different directions. In addition, the second condition is matched by asymmetric feeding point by adjusting the overlapped square width C. The parametric study is completed by the Ansoft HFSS simulator. Simulated results reveal that the CP wave is mainly influenced by the slab width W. The influences of the parameters C and d on the performances of the proposed antenna are also investigated in this paper. Taking -8 dB as reference, there are two working bands for this proposed antenna and the measured center frequencies are 0.66 GHz and 2.04 GHz, respectively, and the corresponding bandwidths are 0.27 GHz (40%) and 1.78 GHz (87%), respectively. In addition, the measured center frequencies and bandwidths of the axial ratio are 1.94 GHz and 0.53 GHz (27%), respectively.
2. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Yang, and J.-F. Liu, "A compact folded printed dipole antenna for UHF RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 47-54, 2009.
3. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009.
4. Chen, G.-Y. and J.-S. Sun, "A printed dipole antenna with microstrip tapered balun," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 4, 344-346, Feb. 2004.
5. Faraji, D. and M. N. Azarmanesh, "A novel modified head-shaped monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1291-1301, 2009.
6. Wang, F. J. and J. S. Zhang, "Wideband printed dipole antenna for multiple wireless services," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1469-1477, 2007.
7. Chen, S.-Y., Y.-C. Chen, and P. Hsu, "CPW-fed aperture-coupled slot dipole antenna for tri-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters,, Vol. 7, 535-537, 2008.
8. Danesfahani, R., L. Asadpor, and S. Soltani, "A small UWB CPW-fed monopole antenna with variable notched bandwidth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1067-1076, 2009.
9. Tseng, C.-F. and C.-L. Huang, "A wideband cross monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2464-2468, 2009.
10. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel omnidirectional broadband planar monopole antenna with various loading plate shapes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 241-257, 2009.
11. Tsai, C.-L., S.-M. Deng, C.-K. Yeh, and S.-S. Bor, "A novel shorted rectangular-loop antenna for circularly polarized wave operations ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1323-1334, 2009.
12. Tsai, C.-L., S.-M. Deng, C.-H. Tseng, and S.-S. Bor, "Antennas with two shorted rectangular-ring slots coupled by microstrip line for the opposite sense CP in the wide-band operations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1367-1375, 2009.
13. Tsai, C. L., S.-M. Deng, and L.-W. Liu, "A compact shorted rectangular-ring slot antenna fed by a CPW for circularly polarized wave operations in the WLAN 2.4 GHz band," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2229-2232, 2009.
14. Tsai, C. L., S.-M. Deng, T.-W Chen, , and L.-W. Liu, "Circularly polarized dielectric resonator-loaded circular microstrip patch antennas for WLAN 2.4 GHz applications ," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1470-1473, 2009.
15. Eldesouki, E. M. A., K. F. A. Hussein, and A. M. El-Nadi, "Circularly polarized arrays of cavity backed slot antennas for X-band satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 9, 179-198, 2008.
16. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
17. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular Polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
18. Zainud-Deen, S. H., H. A. El-Azem Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "A single-feed cylindrical superquadric dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 409-424, 2008.
19. Wang, C.-J. and C.-H. Lin, "A circularly polarized quasi-loop antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008.
20. Guo, Y.-X., L. Bian, and X. Q. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2474-2477, 2009.
21. Yoon, W.-S., S.-M. Han, J.-W. Baik, S. Pyo, J. Lee, and Y.-S. Kim, "Crossed dipole antenna with switchable circular polarisation sense," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 14, 717-718, 2009.
22. Baik, J.-W., K.-J. Lee, W.-S. Yoon, T.-H. Lee, and Y.-S. Kim, "Circularly polarised printed crossed dipole antennas with broadband axial ratio ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 13, 785-786, 2008.
23. Yang, F. and R.-S. Yahya, "A low profile single dipole antenna radiating circularly polarized waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3083-3086, 2005.
24. Nasimuddin, E. K. P. and A. K. Verma, "Wideband high-gain circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas with an optimized C-type feed and a short horn," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 578-581, 2008.
25. Nasimuddin, E. K. P. and A. K. Verma, "Wideband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007.