In this paper, the backscattering properties of a perfect electric conducting sphere coated with layered anisotropic media whose constitutive parameters are close to nihility are investigated. We show that the backscattering is more sensitive to the radial constitutive parameters than to the tangential ones. Compared with isotropic case, the anisotropic media with small axial parameters have the potential to yield more reduction of backscattering magnitude on coated perfectly conducting spheres.
2. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780, 2006.
3. Leonhardt, U. and T. G. Philbin, "General relativity in electrical engineering," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 8, 247, 2006.
4. Vafi, K., A. R. M. Javan, M. S. Abrishamian, and N. Granpayeh, "Dispersive behavior of plasmonic and metamaterial coating on achieving transparency," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 7, 941, 2008.
5. Xi, S., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, J. Huangfu, D. Wang, and J. A. Kong, "Effects of different transformations on the performance of cylindrical cloaks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11, 1489, 2008.
6. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009.
7. Lakhtakia, A., "Scattering by a nihility sphere," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 5, 895, 2006.
8. Lakhtakia, A., "An electromagnetic trinity from negative permittivity and negative permeability," Int. J. Infrared Millim Waves, Vol. 22, 1731, 2001; Vol. 23, 813, 1731, 2002.
9. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695, 2003.
10. Qiu, C.-W., N. Burokur, S. Zouhd, and L.-W. Li, "Chiral nihility effects on energy flow in chiral materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, No. 1, 55, 2008.
11. Sihvola, A., H. Wallen, P. Yla-Oijala, M. Taskinen, H. Kettunen, and I. V. Lindell, "Scattering by DB spheres," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 542, 2009.
12. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary and its realization with anisotropic metamaterial," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, 026604, 2009.
13. Cheng, X. X., H. S. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Visualization of negative refraction in chiral nihility media," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 4, 79-87, 2009.
14. Zhou, H., Z. Pei, S. Qu, S. Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Xu, "A planar zero-index metamaterial for directive emission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 953, 2009.
15. Liu, R., C. Ji, J. J. Mock, J. Y. Chin, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, "Supporting online material for Broadband ground-plane cloak," Science, Vol. 323, 366, 2009.
16. Weng, Z.-B., X.-M. Wang, Y. Song, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "A directive patch antenna with arbitrary ring aperture lattice metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8, 1283, 2008.
17. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
18. Qiu, C.-W., L.-W. Li, T.-S. Yeo, and S. Zouhdi, "Scattering by rotationally symmetric anisotropic spheres: Potential formulation and parametric studies," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 75, 026609, 2007.
19. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interactions with a metamaterial cloak," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, 063903, 2007.
20. Qiu, C.-W., S. Zouhdi, and A. Razek, "Modified spherical wave functions with anisotropy ratio: Application to the analysis of scattering by multilayered anisotropic shells," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3515, 2007.
21. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Waves Theory, EMW, Cambridge, MA, 2005.
22. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, and K. Ding, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves: Theories and Applications, Wiley, New York, 2000.