The Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) applications are growing rapidly, especially in the UHF frequency band that is being used in inventory management. Passive UHF tags are preferred for these applications. In this paper, RFID reader-to-reader interference is analyzed. A model to estimate the minimum distance between readers to achieve a desired probability of detection in real multipath environments is derived and compared to the ideal case (AWGN channel). Diversity techniques to combat multipath and interference effects are proposed and studied.
2. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook: Fundamentals and Applications in Contactless Smart Cards and Identification, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 2003.
3. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, J. T. Huangfu, and L. X. Ran, "Signal descriptions and formulations for long range UHF RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 109-127, 2007.
4. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and D. Salinas, "Radio link budgets for UHF RFID on multipath environments," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1241-1251, 2009.
5., FCC Title 47, Part 15, "Operation within the bands 902--928 MHz, 2435--2465 MHz, 5785--5815 MHz, 10500--10550 MHz, and 24075--24175 MHz".
6., ETSI EN 302-208-1, "Electromagnetic compatibility and Radio spectrum Matters (ERM): Radio frequency identification equipment operating in the band 865MHz to 868MHz with power levels up to 2 W, Part 1: Technical requirements and methods ofmeasurement," July 2007.
7., EPCglobal, Inc., "EPCTM radio-frequency identity protocols Class-1 Generation-2 UHF RFID protocol for communications at 860--960 MHz," Ver. 1.0.9, Jan. 2005.
8. Cha, K., A. Ramachandran, and S. Jagannathan, Adaptive and probabilistic power control alogrithms for dense RFID reader network, Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC'06), 474-479, 2006.
9. Seong, Y.-R. and et al, Arbitration of UHF-band mobile readers, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Applications and Principles of Information Science (APIS 06), 20-21, 2007.
10. Kim, D. Y., H.-G. Yoon, B.-J. Jang, and J.-G. Yook, "Interference analysis of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromanetics Research B, Vol. 4, 115-126, 2008.
11. Paulraj, A. J., D. A. Gore, R. U. Nabar, and H. Boelcskei, An overview of MIMO communications --- A key to Gigabit wireless, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 92, No. 2, 198-218, 2004.
12. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006.
13. Xia, H. H., H. L. Bertoni, L. R. Maciel, A. Lindsay-Stewrt, and R. Rowe, "Radio propagation characteristics for line-of-sight microcellular and personal communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1439-1447, 1993.
14., JTC1, "Information technology-radio frequency identification for item management --- Part 6: Parameters for air interface communications at 860MHz to 960 MHz, AMENDMENT 1: Extension with Type C and update of Types A and B," I. ISO/IEC, 2006.
15. Goldsmith, A., Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
16. Simon, M. and D. Divsalar, "Some interesting observations for certain line codes with application to RFID," IEEE Trans. Communication, Vol. 54, No. 4, 583-586, 2006.
17. Proakis, J. G., Digital Communications, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1995.
18. Bae, J. H., J. C. Kim, B. W. Jeon, J. W. Jung, J. S. Park, B. J. Jang, H. R. Oh, Y. J. Moon, and Y. R. Seong, Analysis of phase noise requirements on local oscillator for RFID system considering range correlation, European Conference on Wireless Technology (EcWT'07), 385-388, 2007.
19. Lee, W. C., "Antenna spacing requirement for a mobile radio basestation diversity," Bell Sys. Tech. J., Vol. 50, 1859-1876, 1971.
20. Clarke, R. H., "A statical theory of mobile-radio reception," Bell Syst. Tech. J., 957-1000, 1968.
21. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," IEE Electronics Letter, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
22. Leather, P. S. H. and D. Parsons, "Antenna diversity for UHF hand portable radio," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 13, 946-948, 2003.