This article reports on a study of the dielectric constants of ceramic dispersions in the polyethylene matrix at microwave frequency. The exponential and logarithmic mixture rules are studied in three ceramic powders of fillers with dielectric constants 10, 20, and 36, respectively. The experimental values of the dielectric constants of the mixtures are compared to those obtained by using different mixing laws. The mixing rules are also adopted to calculate the dielectric constants of pure ceramics from the measured dielectric constants of composites with various concentrations. The theories on errors of calculations are studied. The most adequate mixture equation for measuring the dielectric constants of pure ceramics is suggested.
2. Van Beek, L. K. H., "Dielectric behavior of heterogeneous systems," Progress in Dielectrics, Vol. 7, 69-114, 1967.
3. Tinga, W. R., W. A. G. Voss, and D. F. Blossey, "Generalized approach to multiphase dielectric mixture theory," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, 3897-3902, 1973.
4. Sheen, J., Z. W. Hong, W. Liu, W. L. Mao, and C. A Chen, "Study of dielectric constants of binary composites at microwave frequency by mixture laws derived from three basic particle shapes," European Polymer Journal, Vol. 45, 1316-1321, 2009.
5. Wakino, K., New proposal on mixing rule of the dielectric constant of mixture, IEEE International Symposium on Applications of Ferroelectrics, 33-38, 1994.
6. Stolzle, S., A. Enders, and G. Nimtz, "Numerical simulation of random composite dielectrics," J. Phys. I, Vol. 2, 401-408, France, 1999.
7. Kim, J. B., T. W. Kim, and C. G. Kim, "Simulation method of complex permittivities of carbon balck/epoxy composites at microwave frequency band," J. of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 100, 2189-2195, 2006.
8. Zhou, P., L. Deng, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Influence of scatterer's geometry on power-law formula in random mixing composites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 69-82, 2008.
9. Navid, A. and L. Pilon, "Effect of polarization and morphology on the optical properties of absorbing nanoporous thin films," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 516, 4159-4167, 2008.
10. Xiang, F., H.Wang, and X. Yao, "Preparation and dielectric properties of bismuth-based dielectric/PTFE microwave composites," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 26, 1999-2002, 2006.
11. Lichtenecker, K. and K. Rother, "Die herleitung des logarithmischen mischungsgesetzes als allegemeinen prinzipien der staionaren stromung," K. Phys. Zeitschrift, Vol. 32, 255-260, 1931.
12. Ragossnig, H. and A. Feltz, "Characterization of dielectric powders by a new defined form factor," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 18, 429-444, 1998.
13. Looyenga, H., "Dielectric constants of mixtures," Physica, Vol. 31, 401-406, 1965.
14. Birchak, J. R., C. G. Gardner, J. E. Hipp, and J. M. Victor, High dielectric constant microwave probes for sensing soil moisture, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 93-98, 1974.
15. Lichtenecker, K., "Die dielektrizitatskonstante naturlicher und kunstlicher mischkorper," K. Phys. Zeitschrift, Vol. 27, 115-158, 1926.
16. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. L. Drewniak, R. E. DuBroff, K. N. Rozanov, and B. Archambeault, "Modeling of shielding composite materials and structures for microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 197-215, 2009.
17. Huang, K. and X. Yang, "A method for calculating the effective permittivity of a mixture solution during a chemical reaction by experimental results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 99-107, 2008.
18. Jylha, L. and A. H. Sihvola, "Tunability of granular ferroelectric dielectric composites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 189-207, 2008.
19. Koledintseva, M. Y., R. E. DuBroff, R. W. Schwartz, and J. L. Drewniak, "Double statistical distribution of conductivity and aspect ratio of inclusions in dielectric mixtures at microwave frequencie," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 193-214, 2007.
20. Lou, J., T. A. Hatton, and P. E. Laibinis, "Effective dielectric properties of solvent mixtures at microwave frequencies," J. Phys. Chem. A, Vol. 101, 5262-5268, 1997.
21. Koledintseva, M. Y., S. K. R. Chandra, R. E. DuBroff, and R. W. Schwartz, "Modeling of dielectric mixtures containing conducting inclusions with statistically distributed aspect ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 213-228, 2006.
22. Koledintseva, M. Y., R. E. DuBroff, and R. W. Schwartz, "A Maxwell garnett model for dielectric mixtures containing conducting particles at optical frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 223-242, 2006.
23. Wang, H. G. and C. H. Chan, "Mixture effective permittivity simulations using imlmqrf method on preconditioned EFIE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 285-310, 2006.
24. Tinga, W. R., "Mixture laws and microwave-material interactions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 6, 1-40, 1992.
25. Sihvola, A., "Two main avenues leading to the Maxwell garnett mixing rule," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, 715-725, 2001.
26. Pekonen, O., K. KarkkÄainen, A. Sihvola, and K. Nikoskinen, "Numerical testing of dielectric mixing rules by FDTD method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 67-87, 1999.
27. Hakki, B. W. and P. D. Coleman, "A dielectric resonator method of measuring inductive capacities in the millimeter range," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 8, 402-410, 1960.
28. Sheen, J., "Study of microwave dielectric properties measurements by various resonance techniques," Measurement, Vol. 37, 123-130, 2005.