On the basis of analyzing the principle of multicarrier DS-CDMA, we propose a novel multiband complex wavelet based multicarrier DS-CDMA system in this paper by using the optimized multiband complex wavelet as multicarrier basis function. The system bit error rate (BER) performance is investigated over Nakagami-m Rayleigh fading channel. Without any cyclic prefix (CP), the proposed system can avoid the decrease of spectrum efficiency and data rate of conventional multicarrier DS-CDMA with CP. Meanwhile, the space diversity combining (SDC) technique based on multi-antenna receiver is employed to improve the system performance further. By the mathematical derivation, the BER analysis of the system with or without SDC is given in detail. Theoretical analysis and simulation results show that the proposed multicarrier system outperforms the conventional multicarrier DS-CDMA system and real wavelet packet based multicarrier DS-CDMA system due to the superior properties of the optimized multiband complex wavelet. Especially, the application of SDC technique can effectively improve the system ability against spatial fading and interferences, and thus the superior performance is obtained.
2. Hara, S. and R. Prasad, "Design and performance of mutlicarrier CDMA system in frequency- selective Rayleigh fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Tech., Vol. 48, 1584-1595, 1999.
3. Al-Kamali, F. S., M. I. Dessouky, B. M. Sallam, and F. E.-S. Abd El-Samie, "Frequency domain interference cancellation for single carrier cyclic prefix CDMA system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 255-269, 2008.
4. Ohmori, S., Y. Yamao, and N. Nakajima, "The future generations of mobile communications based on broadband access generations of mobile communications based on broadban," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 38, No. 12, 134-142, 2000.
5. Muayyadi, A. and M. N. A. AbuRgheff, "Wavelet-based MC-CDMA cellular systems," Proceedings of IEEE ISSSTA'2000, Vol. 1, 145-149, 2000.
6. Hi, C. K., D. Xu, and G. K. Mun, "Performance analysis of wavelet-based MC-CDMA for FPLMTS/IMT-2000," Proceedings of IEEE ISSSTA'1996, Vol. 3, 1356-1360, 1996.
7. Zhang, H., H. Howard, and F. A. Lindsey, "Wavelet packet waveforms for multicarrier CDMA communications," Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP'2002, Vol. 3, 2557-2560, 2002.
8. Yu, X., X. Zhang, D. Xu, and G. Bi, "Performance analysis of multiband complex wavelet based MC-CDMA system with space diversity combining in Rayleigh fading channel," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 41, No. 2, 193-206, 2007.
9. Kondo, S. and L. B. Milsteln, "Performance of multicarrier DS-CDMA systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 44, No. 2, 238-246, 1996.
10. Prokis, J. G., Digital Communications, 4th Ed., Mc-Graw Hill, NewYork, 2001.
11. Lombardo, P., G. Fedele, and M. M. Rao, "MRC performance for binary signals in Nakagami fading with general branch correlation," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 47, No. 1, 44-52, 1999.
12. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 5th Ed., Academic, San Diego, CA, 2000.
13. Alamouti, S. M., "A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications," IEEE J. Select Areas Commun., Vol. 16, No. 8, 1451-1458, 1998.
14. Tarokh, V., H. Jafarkhani, and A. R. Calderbank, "Space-time block codes from orthogonal designs," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 45, No. 5, 1456-1467, 1999.
15. Zhang, X., G. Zhang, and G. Bi, "Adaptive multichannel DFE combined with space diversity for WPMA systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 16, 1429-1430, 2000.
16. Koo, B.-W., M.-S. Baek, and H.-K. Song, "Multiple antenna transmission technique for UWB system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 177-185, 2008.
17., , ITU-R M.1225, Guidelines for evaluation of radio transmission technologies for IMT-2000, 1997.
18. Daubechies, I., Ten Lectures on Wavelets, Capital City Press, Network, 1992.