A one dimensional tunable periodic structure in microstip technology on gallium arsenide (GaAs) substrate is numerically investigated. The unit cell contains a number of patches positioned between the ground plane and the microstrip line. The patches, representing reactive loads, can be selectively short-circuited by externally-ontrolled FET switches integrated in the hosting substrate. The possibility of controlling the position of the band-gap, and implicitly the value of the effective dielectric constant along the line, for different combinations of the switches is demonstrated.
2. Linnik, L. A., Novel devices and heterostructures based on modulated dielectric properties of materials, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Maryland College Park, 2001.
3. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Magneto-dielectrics in electromagnetics: Concept and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1558-1567, 2004.
4. Huang, H., Y. Fan, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Tunable TE/TM wave splitter using a gyrotropic slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Researc, Vol. 85, 367-380, 2008.
5. Sievenpiper, D. F., "Forward and backward leaky wave radiation with large effective aperture from an electronically tunable textured surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, Part 1, 236-247, 2005.
6. Bayatpur, F. and K. Sarabandi, "A tunable metamaterial requency-selective surface with variable modes of operation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1433-1438, 2009.
7. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, S. Talarico, and F. M. Valeri, "An active high-impedance surface for low-profile tunable and steerable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Let., Vol. 7, 676-680, 2008.
8. Reynoso-Hernndez, J. A., "Unified method of determining the complex propagation constant of reflecting and non-reflecting transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Let., Vol. 13, No. 8, 351-353, 2003.
10. Watkins, D. A., Topics in Electromagnetic Theory, Vol. 2, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1958.
11. Oliner, A. A. and D. R. Jackson, Antenna Engineering Handbook, J. Volakis (ed.), Ch. 11., Leaky-wave antennas, McGraw Hill, 2007.