A novel, low profile and broadband plate loaded planar monopole antenna is investigated. The proposed antenna consists of a rectangular planar monopole with small plates attached to its radiating edges. Two types of plates, rectangular and cylindrical shapes are fabricated and tested. The characteristics of the antennas are investigated in both frequency and time domains. The study shows that the proposed antennas are capable of achieving broadband and omnidirectional radiation characteristics within 2.9-17.9 GHz with the cylindrical loading plates and 2.9-16.7 GHz for the rectangular loading plates with a gain of up to 7 dBi.
2. Zhang, H.-T., Y.-Z. Yin, and X. Yang, "A wideband monopole with G type structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 229-236, 2007.
3. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
4. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and F. Karshenas, "Modified TEM horn antenna for broad band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 105-119, 2009.
5. Zhou, S., J. Ma, J. Deng, and Q. Liu, "A low-profile and broadband conical antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Lettrs, Vol. 7, 97-103, 2009.
6. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and N. Komjani, "Novel fractal monopole wideband antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 195-205, 2008.
7. Chen, Y., S. Yang, S. He, and Z. Nie, "Design and analysis of wideband planar monopole antennas using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 95-112, 2009.
8. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, Feb. 1998.
9. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
10. Ammann, M. J., "Square planar monopole antenna," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Nat. Conf. Antennas Propag., 37-40, UK, 1999.
11. Anob, P. V., K. P. Ray, and G. Kumar, "Wideband orthogonal square monopole antennas with semi-circular base," IEEE AP-S Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 294-297, Jul. 2001.
12. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabres, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Wideband double-fed planar monopole antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1635-1636, Nov. 2003.
13. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-fed planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
14. Lin, C.-C., H.-R. Chuang, and Y.-C. Kan, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
15. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wide-band shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, Apr. 2003.
16. Qu, S. W., C. L. Ruan, and Q. Xue, "A planar folded ultrawideband antenna with gap-loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 216-220, Jan. 2007.
17. Valderas, D., J. Legarda, I. Gutierrez, and I. Sancho, "Design of UWB folded-plate monopole antennas based on TLM," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1676-1687, Jun. 2006.
18. Johnson, R. C. and H. Jasik, Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New Yourk, 1984.
19. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
20. Chen, Z. N., "Broadband roll monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 3175-3177, Nov. 2003.
21., "First report and order, revision of part 15 of the commission's rule regarding ultra wideband transmission systems ,", Federal Communications Commission, Apr. 22, 2002.
22. Aiello, G. R. and G. D. Rogerson, "Ultra-wideband wireless systems," IEEE Microwave, Vol. 4, 36-47, Jun. 2001.
23. Montoya, T. P. and G. S. Smith, "A study of pulse radiation from several broad-band loaded monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 1172-1182, Aug. 1996.