In this work, a probe fed microstrip antenna design for the implementation of two dimensional arrays with individually fed radiating elements is presented. The performance of the antenna element, both isolated and in a 4×4 fixed array topology, is analysed using ADS and HFSS simulation software. Prototypes of the antenna element and of the array are manufactured and measured for the experimental validation of the design.
2. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 79, 75-90, 2008.
3. Mismar, M. J. and T. H. Ismail, "Pattern nulling by iterative phase perturbation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 22, 181-195, 1999.
4. Fakoukakis, F. E., S. G. Diamantis, A. P. Orfanides, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006.
5. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 60, 95-106, 2006.
6. Hoeye, S., C. Vazquez, M. Fernandez, L. Herran, and F. Las-Heras, "Receiving phased antenna array based on injection-locked harmonic self-oscillating mixers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 3, 645-651, Mar. 2009.
7. Kabacik, P., "Active microstrip array for satellite communication applications," Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, 1995, Proceedings, 1995 SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International, Vol. 2, 626-631, Jul. 1995.
8. Deal, W., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A new quasiyagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 6, 910-918, Jun. 2000.
9. Wood, C., "Improved bandwidth of microstrip antennas using parasitic elements," Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, IEEProceedings H, Vol. 127, No. 4, 231-234, Aug. 1980.
10. Liu, W. C. and P. C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2007.
11. Park, J., H.-G. Na, and S. H. Baik, "Design of a modified L-probe fed microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 117-119, 2004.
12. Wang, H., D. Fang, L. Wang, and Y. Guo, "A modified tshaped probe-fed circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna," Microwave Conference, 2008. Asia-Pacific, 1-4, Dec. 2008.
13. Mak, C., K. Lee, and K. Luk, "Broadband patch antenna with a T-shaped probe," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 147, No. 2, 73-76, Apr. 2000.
14. Matin, M., B. Sharif, and C. Tsimenidis, "Probe fed stacked patch antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2385-2388, Aug. 2007.