This article describes a compact UWB chip antenna using the coupling concept. The inclined slot is inserted on the rectangular radiating patch of the UWB chip antenna. From experimental results, the measured impedance bandwidth of the antenna (defined by -6 dB return loss) is 2.5 GHz (3-5.5 GHz). Also, the proposed antenna exhibits good radiation patterns with small gain variation (2.5-3.5 dBi) in the operating frequency band. Details of the proposed antenna design and the simulated and measured results are presented and discussed.
2. Choi, S. H., J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, 399-401, 2004.
3. Lee, S. H., J. K. Park, and J. N. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 393-396, March 2005.
4. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low VSWR antenna for the FCC-approved UWB frequency band," IEEE Antennas Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 460-463, June 2003.
5. Lin, C.-C. and H. R. Chuang, "A 3-12GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, 307-321, 2008.
6. Liu, L., J. P. Xing, Y. Z. Yin, and Y. L. Zhao, "A novel dual-F-shaped planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1106-1114, 2008.
7. Xiao, J. X., X. X. Yang, G. P. Gao, and J. S. Zhang, "Double-printed U-shape ultrawideband dipole antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1148-1154, 2008.
8. Hosseini, S. A., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "A new compact ultrawideband (UWB) planar antenna using glass as substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 47-59, 2008.
9. Xu, H. Y., H. Zhang, and J. Wang, "Study on an UWB planar tapered slot antenna with gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 87-93, 2008.
10. Liu, J., D. Zhao, and B. Z. Wang, "A beveled and slot-loaded planar bow-tie antenna for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 37-46, 2008.
11. Lee, S. H., J. N. Lee, J. K. Park, and H. S. Kim, "Design of the compact UWB antenna with PI-shaped matching stub," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1440-1449, 2008.
12. Yin, X. C., C. L. Ruan, C. Y. Ding, and J. H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
13. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 191-198, 2007.
14. Yeo, U. B., J. N. Lee, and J. K. Park, "An ultra-wideband antenna design using Sierpinski sieve fractal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1713-1723, 2008.
15. Kwon, D. H., Y. J. Kim, M. Hasegawa, and T. Shimamori, "A small ceramic chip antenna for ultra-wideband systems," Ultra Wideband Systems 2004, 307-311, 2004.
16. Ying, C. and Y. P. Zhang, "Integration of ultra-wideband slot antenna on LTCC substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 645-646, 2004.
17. Wu, C. Y., C. L. Tang, and A. C. Chen, "UWB chip antenna design using LTCC multilayer technology for mobile applications," Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings 2005, Vol. 3, 2005.
18. Ying, C., G. Y. Li, and Y. P. Zhang, "An LTCC planar ultra-wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 3, 220-222, 2004.
19. Ying, C. and Y. P. Zhang, "A planar antenna in LTCC for single-package ultrawide-band radio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 3089-3093, 2005.
20., "HFSS, high-frequency structure simulator ver. 10, finite-element package,", Ansoft Corporation.