In this paper, an improved residual carrier frequency offset estimation scheme is proposed for ultra-wideband multiband orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (UWB-OFDM) systems. The basic idea of our approach is based on the fact that two adjacent OFDM symbols convey identical information in an UWB-OFDM system. The mean square error of the synchronization scheme is derived, and its simple expression is also calculated. Finally, simulation results are demonstrated to verify the theoretical analysis in this paper.
2. Win, M. Z. and R. A. Scholtz, "On the robustness of ultra-wide bandwidth signals in dense multipath environments," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 2, 51-53, Feb. 1998.
3. Cramer, R. J. M., R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "Evaluation of an ultrawideband propagation channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, 561-570, May 2002.
4. Xiao, S.-Q., J. Chen, B. Z. Wang, and X. F. Liu, "A numerical study on time-reversal electromagnetic wave for indoor ultra-wideband signal transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 77, 329-342, 2007.
5. Lie, J. P., B. P. Ng, and C. M. See, "Multiple UWB emitters DOA estimation employing time hopping spread spectrum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78, 83-101, 2008.
6. Liu, X. F., B. Z. Wang, S. Q. Xiao, and J. H. Deng, "Performance of impulse radio UWB communications based on time reversal technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 79, 401-413, 2008.
7. ECMA International, Standard ECMA-368, "High rate ultra wideband PHY and MAC standard,", Dec. 2007.
8. Shim, E. S. and Y. H. You, "Parameter estimation and error reduction in multicarrier systems by time-domain spreading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 1-12, 2008.
9. Nam, S. H., J. S. Yoon, and H. K. Song, "An elaborate frequency offet estimation for OFDM systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 33-41, 2008.
10. Png, K. B., X. Peng, S. Chattong, H. T. Francis, and F. Chin, "Joint carrier and sampling frequency offset estimation for MB-OFDM UWB system," Proc. of RWS 2008, 29-32, Jan. 2008.